Black screen after launching NS2

thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
edited August 2018 in Technical Support
Windows 10(latest home)
nvidia 1050 ti
intel i7-7700k
on ssd drive.

When I launch NS2 it goes to a black screen, with a teal colored square(ish) box in the bottom right corner. And it almost looks at if the screen is windowed. I can't see, select and click on anything. And I can't advance to any screen via clicking or pressing any buttons. It ends up freezing the computer and I have to restart. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Same issue every time.

Comments

• thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    edited August 2018
    launching through steam, launching with -w, launching with shades folder deleted. Nothing gets me past the first screen :(
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Do you have swap disabled or very little RAM?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2018
    launching through steam, launching with -w, launching with shades folder deleted. Nothing gets me past the first screen :(

The what folder? Shaders? That's not supposed to be deleted... ever. (Unless you mean the shader cache, which is in a different folder).
    Please try verifying your files with steam (Right click game in steam -> Properties -> Local Files tab -> Verify Integrity of Game Files.)

Please run TechSupport.exe (found in your Natural Selection 2 directory), and send us the resulting .zip. This contains information we'll use to diagnose your problem.
    edited August 2018
    I am having trouble finding tech support.exe. cant find it anywhere, a pc search cant find it either.

I have 16gb Ram. Verified integrity of game files 100%
    ok i found it, email sent to techsupport thank you
    oh no, nevermind gmail says I can't send the email because it "May contain a virus" and its failing to send
    I sent a private message to beige, since gmail thinks the .zip is a virus.
    edited August 2018
    guess not. Really loved this game and wanted to play it at some point. sad it never happened, very sad I can have a $2000 computer and 6 years later not even be able to play the game I paid for in alpha. Makes we very worried about buying subnautica.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @thecowsaysmoo sorry about the delay, we've all been very busy lately. The logs that TechSupport.exe gathered seem a bit unusual. They seem to cut off right before the "Steam initialized" part, implying that the game is having issues with Steam. Have you tried verifying your files?