[Bug] I keep getting teleported out of my Cyclops

Ghost314Ghost314 Canada Join Date: 2018-07-15 Member: 242207Members
I have a video and (sort of) reproduction scenario for what I feel is one of the worst bugs in Subnautica at the moment. I'll be standing around in my Cyclops, figuring out what supplies I need to grab to build my next base expansion, or reading my PDA, when all of a sudden I get teleported out of my Cyclops and up onto the roof.

I don't know exactly how to cause the bug to happen from a normal state (it seems kind of sporadic) but through sheer chance, I just happened to save a game mere moments before the bug occurred. I immediately saved a backup copy of that save game slot, and every time I load it, the bug happens 100% of the time within seconds.

I recorded the following game play footage of the bug from that save file.

https://dai.ly/kExSWTeNtZYeWRrop6Q

Note that I did not move my character in any direction, or jump at any point in that video. All I did was switch to the knife (force of habit), and move the view around.

One observation I made that I think may be relevant, is that just before the bug happens, you can see the view go a bit jittery. At around 39 seconds to 42 seconds, when I look straight forward again, you can see the view sag down a bit before snapping back up. It then sags down one more time before I get teleported.

I spend a lot of time looking at the ground in the video, as you can see my character's feet seem to be sinking into the floor and snapping back on top.

I've noticed a couple of times, when my view starts to shake and I know I'm in trouble, that if I grab the wheel of the Cyclops, I can often see that the Cyclops itself is very slowly drifting in the water during this time. Holding the wheel of the Cyclops seems to always prevent me from getting teleported.

I recorded the following game play footage from the exact same save file.

https://dai.ly/kamRotery7s0lOrovt2

If you look closely at the ground outside the Cyclops, you can definitely see it drifting at certain points in the video. The most dramatic drift seems to happen at around 0:59 to 1:08. If you look closely, you can also see the red 'engine offline' text on the Cyclops main display for a brief moment before I pan down.

I suspect what's happening, is that the Cyclops is very slowly drifting (even though I switched the engine off) and instead of moving along with it, my character is clipping into the floor of the sub, and getting teleported back to a valid position by the physics engine.

I loaded the game again and looked around with the Cyclops' cameras, but I couldn't see anything that looked like it might be knocking the sub around. I also can't hear any thuds or bangs on the in-game audio.

I attached a .zip file of my saved game where the bug can be easily reproduced, in the hopes that someone can sort this out.

My Subnautica version, as seen in the videos, is May-2018 60072. I am playing the game on Steam.

Comments

• Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    This bug has been around for awhile now. The most I can assume is it's a physics problem since the Cyclops isn't a stationary object like everything else you walk into. I am not sure if they're fixing it on this version of the game however. From what I've heard they are working on upgrading the engine to Unity 2018, which may be why they haven't addressed this yet.
  • Ghost314Ghost314 Canada Join Date: 2018-07-15 Member: 242207Members
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    This bug has been around for awhile now. The most I can assume is it's a physics problem since the Cyclops isn't a stationary object like everything else you walk into. I am not sure if they're fixing it on this version of the game however. From what I've heard they are working on upgrading the engine to Unity 2018, which may be why they haven't addressed this yet.

I got the impression it was a physics problem as well, especially with the way my character seems to sink into the floor briefly before getting teleported. There have also been rare occasions where I've had the entire cyclops move or rotate at an extreme angle in a very short amount of time, and I've seen the odd sea creature whip by at ridiculous speed, all of which I suspect is from wonky physics calculations.

At least I know now that it isn't just something messed up on my system.
  • AtophyAtophy Canada Join Date: 2018-07-21 Member: 242370Members
    edited July 2018
    Similar thing happened to me twice today, first time I was dumped under the sub, falling, it looked like the sub was righting itself from a roll when I looked up, I splashed and then I could swim to the hatch and get in. Second time, I glitched, ended up on the con tower, could walk around ontop of the cyclops, I walked off the edge, splashed down after a short fall and could swim around and reenter through the hatch, the sub also moved up and forward a fairly significant amount in both cases... I had to back up and dive to collect my prawn.
    I thought it was possibly related physics bug they reported fixed with duffel bags on the last patch, the results are similar from what I've read so maybe it goes a little deeper than placibles.

EDIT: I think it really may have something to do with power cell chargers, especially when open. They always look like they're vibrating and when I built a new one on a flat wall and loaded it, things started to go wonky. I deconstructed it quick, bailed out on the prawn then redocked and everything seems to be stable again.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    If it is a Powercell charger, there's no reason to build that in the Cyclops anyway - they fixed Powercell chargers so you no longer gain energy by using them. A battery charger is useful, but will take power from the Powercells. (A Powercell charger could be useful with the Cyclops thermal reactor, but you can just switch out the in-use Powercells instead.)
    In my case I have no power cell charger on my cyclops and am still seeing the issue. I've also seen those chargers vibrate when I use them in my regular indoor bases, so I think that's just how they normally look.

I did outfit my cyclops with just about everything else you can think of though, from battery chargers to fabricators, to storage containers. I even laid down some grow beds for food. Basically I turned it into a fully mobile base, and built a lot of extra power cells, so I can take it really far before I need to head to one of my recharge stations.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the static interior modules being placed in this free-moving object was messing with the physics, but it could be difficult to try and pinpoint which one.

Is there a way to edit a save file, and delete all the stuff I built inside the cyclops? If so I could run a quick test on my save file.
  • FaceXpalmFaceXpalm Join Date: 2018-07-23 Member: 242411Members
    So I just made an account so I could post my current experience with this bug. I'm about 24 hours into a Hardcore run at the bottom of the abyss. I'm running through the Cyclops to the modification station to craft the MK1 depth mod. The second I click on it I'm teleported to the exterior roof of the sub and my character keeps doing a random falling animation that does about 10 dmg per fall. My only option is to try and fall off the sub. I manage to do so and now I'm on the bottom of the abyss and the game is acting as though I'm on dry land, no swimming nor seaglide function. I save and quit hoping rebooting the game will correct the issue, it does not. So now I'm permanently bugged on my Hardcore save 24 hours deep. RIP my game.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @FaceXpalm try the console code warpme
  • FaceXpalmFaceXpalm Join Date: 2018-07-23 Member: 242411Members
    I read that using console commands could disable achievements. Won't that one have a negative impact in that respect?
    I regularly use console commands to fix that scenario, and I just recently got the 'Seamonsters' achievement so you will probably be ok. I'm guessing whatever you read was probably referring either to permanently enabled cheats like 'invisible' (which stops all monsters from attacking you) or the console commands that trigger certain story events (which may then make it impossible to go back and complete normally).

In my case I found that 'warpme' would generally just put me back on the roof of the cyclops, so I typically use 'goto escapepod22' first. That will teleport you back to the water outside the life pod that you first start the game in (so no risk of spoilers) and fixes the water glitch. Then I use 'warpme' from there, and it puts me back on the bottom deck of the cyclops, near the circular hatch.

Unfortunately this bug has been happening so often to me, that I felt it worthwhile to create keyboard macros for those 2 commands, which is kind of sad. I find you can often avoid the bug though, if you keep jumping when you notice your view going jittery. Fortunately the game allows you to jump even when looking through inventory or the PDA.
    To ensure you get achievements, save after using the console command, then completely exit subnautica. Open the game again, and it will allow achievements.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    To ensure you get achievements, save after using the console command, then completely exit subnautica. Open the game again, and it will allow achievements.

Does that still work? I thought they disabled that one.
  • AtophyAtophy Canada Join Date: 2018-07-21 Member: 242370Members
    Ghost314 wrote: »
    In my case I have no power cell charger on my cyclops and am still seeing the issue. I've also seen those chargers vibrate when I use them in my regular indoor bases, so I think that's just how they normally look.

I did outfit my cyclops with just about everything else you can think of though, from battery chargers to fabricators, to storage containers. I even laid down some grow beds for food. Basically I turned it into a fully mobile base, and built a lot of extra power cells, so I can take it really far before I need to head to one of my recharge stations.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of the static interior modules being placed in this free-moving object was messing with the physics, but it could be difficult to try and pinpoint which one.

Is there a way to edit a save file, and delete all the stuff I built inside the cyclops? If so I could run a quick test on my save file.

I noticed that myself as well, both that the charger loop doesn't work and that they vibrate in a stationary base, only charger I have in the Cyclops now is a battery charger, (which is always loaded with a couple batteries). I have had no luck narrowing it down whats causing it but it seems to be happening more and more frequently. I've been noticing on occasion that my Prawn has slipped from its docked position as well.

This needs a lot of testing to narrow it down :/