Splash Down (A Subnautica Story)

Comments

• thelegoguy0thelegoguy0 netherlands Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235616Members
    Just a progress update. Microsoft forced an update to my desktop computer which sent my computer into an infinite reboot loop that can't be canceled. I was playing the full release of subnautica in order to catch up with the story so I can get info directly from my own playthrough but since my computer is toast right now, the next chapter will be delayed until I can fix my desktop (however unlikely that may be) and then play through the full release until I get to the 2ndary research facility. Keep your fingers crossed I can fix my desktop, and just hang in there!

good luck with the computer, hope it gets fixed soon
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
    Don't you mean a maximum of 52 survivors.
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    Chapter 44: Take Them Down!

"Sally! Fire on them for heaven's sake!" Jeff shouted.

"Unable to synchronize with Cyclops systems."

It was then that he noticed the coms tower on the top of the Determination had been obliterated.

"Palmer, we break for the docking bay. We've got to torpedo these guys manually! Now GO!"

Palmer drove the PRAWN forward and jumped off the edge with a burst from the jump jets. Jeff flew forward at max speed ramming into a warper directly in his path. There were so many of them. At least twenty. They had all stopped attacking the cyclops and began closing in on the both of them.

The PRAWN's jump jet slowly dissipated and Palmer began falling toward the seafloor. One warper followed after him. Palmer saw the creature on his radar and as soon as he landed, he whipped around and grabbed one of the creature's arms with the powerful claws of the PRAWN. He pulled the creature closer and braced the PRAWN's left leg against its body until the arm was ripped clean off. In a mechanical screech, the creature disappeared in a swirl of light and bubbles.

Palmer looked back up toward the Determination and noticed Talon swarmed by warpers. With the jump jet recharged, he pushed off of the ground with another burst of speed. The PRAWN slammed into the underside of Talon pushing it out of the group of warpers. Jeff's body was suddenly visible barreling out of the mass of warpers. Palmer immediately switched directions and burned the rest of his jump jet to change direction. For a second, Palmer was worried Jeff wasn't moving. Luckily, after a second, Jeff shook his head and looked right at Palmer as he started to sink back down to the ground. Jeff began swimming down toward him with warpers right on his tail. The second Palmer hit the ground, he jumped again, with 50% jet charge. It was enough to close the gap and Jeff latched onto one of the hand rails on the roof of the PRAWN suit as it sank down the seafloor again. Jeff looked behind him and saw a warper gaining ahead of the rest. It slashed with its praying-mantis-like arm just barely missing his leg. Gravity sped up their descent, increasing the gap between them and the warpers, until they hit the ground. Palmer had to wait for the jump-jet to recharge to 100% in order to have enough to reach the underbelly of the Determination. Nervously, he watched the percentage rise as one warper came in for Jeff.

"Heads up!" Palmer shouted.

Jeff brandished his knife. The warper slashed for his chest as he dodged backwards. The point of the arm stabbed into Jeff's calf causing him to shriek in pain. The adrenaline pumped through his veins as he grabbed the creature's arm and pulled himself toward it, slashing into its soft translucent chest. The creature made a shriek in pain but was not deterred and brought its other arm up to strike Jeff. Suddenly, the warper was pulled downwards by one of its translucent tentacle. Palmer punched the warper into its weakened chest as hard as the PRAWN could punch and completely obliterated the internal organs of the creature, sending it flying back in a cloud of various liquids.

Immediately, Palmer boosted upwards with the fully charged jump-jets, racing toward the docking bay of the Determination. Jeff was yanked upwards with the PRAWN suit straining his arm until he was able to grip with both hands. One side of the docking bay opened up but the other was jammed shut. Palmer grabbed the edge of the bay doors and pulled them inside where the docking clamps retrieved them. Jeff continued hanging from the prawn suit as it was brought to the ceiling of the bay where Palmer exited the suit through the upper hatch. The alarms were blaring and the red emergency lights were flashing.

"Warning, external hull damage detected. Coms tower destroyed."

Palmer raced into the bridge and dropped into Jeff's seat. He initiated a barrage of torpedoes and then rushed to the pilots seat as water leaked in from various points in the glass.

"Engine powering up."

As explosions flashed all around him, he pulled the Determination backwards out of the side-cave into the main cave system.

Palmer looked behind him at the radar. As the last torpedo made contact with its target, the final red blip disappeared.

He slouched in his chair as he let out a sigh of relief. The alarm stopped and the lights turned from red to yellow.

"Hey Palmer... little help here?" Jeff said over the coms.

"Oh! Sorry Jeff!" Palmer said as he bolted out of the chair to go down and help Jeff climb down from the PRAWN suit.

Palmer slid down the ladder and opened the first bulkhead into bay 1. Above him, the PRAWN was docked with Jeff still hanging from one of the upper handrails, blood dripping down his leg.

"Did it break a bone?"

"Luckily no but it'll still hurt like heck if you don't help me down."

Palmer helped Jeff get down as he winced in pain.

Once Jeff was on the floor of the docking bay, Palmer went back to the storage room and and came back with a medical kit.

"Ya know, that stunt you pulled out there couldn't have been more perfect. I don't know if you saw the whole thing through that swarm of warpers, but they had teleported me out of Talon making me an easy target. They had me on all sides, but when you hit the underside of Talon and launched it forward, it knocked me clear of the warpers and dazed some of them too. There's no way I could defend myself with just a knife against that many warpers. I owe you one," Jeff said as Palmer applied a bandage to his leg.

"Thanks. I had no idea what I was doing," Palmer said with a chuckle.

"So," Jeff said as he stood up on one leg, propping himself up against the wall, "What's the situation?"

"Well the good news is that all the warpers were neutralized. The bad news is the Determination is pretty badly scratched up, the coms tower is shot, and there's some water getting in through the pilots bubble. On top of that, I've no idea what state Talon is in."

"Well lets fix the glass breach first and foremost. Then we'll pick up Talon and get to repairing her and Determination."

"Jeff, the idea of a base down here might have just become mandatory with all the repairs we're going to have to make."

They both made their way back up to the bridge.

"Definitely."

• supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    I'm here.
    Skope is here.
    Thundershock is here.
    Recursion wrote: »
    I'm here.
    Skope is here.
    Thundershock is here.

Who's NOT here?
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    The shriek that the warpers made, I had this play in my head (the sound where its stamped at)
  • thelegoguy0thelegoguy0 netherlands Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235616Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    I'm here.
    Skope is here.
    Thundershock is here.

Who's NOT here?

i'm here as well :neutral::disappointed:
    Skope wrote: »
    Oh gosh, the bump is real.

@ThunderShock27, you might want to come back quickly, I think that @Recursion used up all our material for bumps. ;)

A flash of lightning, a crack of thunder rolling through the atmosphere. The sky is black with rolling clouds. Rain pours down on the roof of a small disheveled barn in the middle of a pine forest. Save for the flash of lightning, it is almost entirely dark inside. The sound of footsteps splashing across the soaked ground growing louder and nearing the barn. There is silence for a few moments, then the rickety barn door is slowly slid open, letting in dull gray light. Five men rush into the barn out of the rain, two of them carrying a large reinforced crate between them by its handles The other three begin sweeping the ground floor, clear forms of machine guns sticking out from their dark forms below. Another form rotates around the edge of the barn door and begins sliding it shut from the inside, struggling as he tries to keep his footing in the wet ground. The distinct form of an AK-47 Advanced hanging from the strap round his shoulders. The two men holding the crate set it down in the middle of the barn floor. One of them takes out an LED lantern and places it on the crate, turning it on. The light pushes back the darkness very subtly with pure darkness still at the edges and corners of the barn. The three who had been looking around with their weapons drawn slowly converged back on the crate. One of them began talking in a hushed voice.

"We'll stay here the night. We have plenty of distance between us and the soldiers. We wake at three AM and make our way for the ocean. There will be boats waiting for us."

He pointed at the two who had been carrying the crate, "You two take first watch. NO FIRE. Is that clear?"

The two nodded. Then, the one who had been speaking with the clear authority of a leader, crouched down next to the crate and removed the lantern off its top. He flipped four latches up and opened the crate. Inside was a series of small black canisters that numbered 15. The leader's voice escalated to an excited tone.

"We'll be able to do a lot of damage with these babies men. Let's not let down the brotherhood."

Suddenly there was a single creak of wood from directly above the men. The leader snapped his head up and his men followed his gaze.

"Did you check the loft?" He shifted his eyes toward the three men who had cleared the ground floor while keeping his face up toward the loft.

The men each looked at each other with an alarmed look and immediately fanned out looking for a ladder. The light from the lantern made it easier for them to locate a wooden ladder that had been hidden in the dark corner of the barn. One man shouldered his AK and began climbing while the other two pointed their own up toward the top of the ladder. The first man reached the top and brought his AK around and pointed it into the darkness. He strained his eyes but couldn't see anything. He reached for the barrel of his gun where a flashlight was mounted but before he could turn it on, a form shot out of the darkness and kicked him in the face sending him flying backwards down the eighteen foot drop where he landed on his head, clearly breaking his neck and laying limp on the ground. The men began shouting and fired their guns into the loft. In their fire, yellow light shown out from the loft in the outline of a person. One man's eyes went wide.

"IT'S A SPARTAN!"

A cylinder fell out of the loft to the ground and after a split second, it exploded releasing thick smoke into the barn. The leader could be heard coughing out commands.

"GET THE CRATE!"

The smoke made it impossible for the men to know where to shoot so they just stood where they were frantically turning their heads looking for any sign of a target. One man at the base of the ladder felt the air part in front of him and saw a dark form drop from the loft. Before he had a chance to react, he had a bullet from a silenced pistol through his head sending him backwards onto the floor. Hearing the faint pistol shot, another man at the opposite corner of the barn began firing his AK in that direction. Once again, the bullets caused another yellow outline of a human form but before the man could reach the end of his clip, he had two rounds into his gut and he fell dead. The last four men stood around the crate, the lantern long since turned off. Two of them picked it up while the leader and another man stared into the smoke in the direction the spartan's energy shield had illuminated. The man standing next to the leader suddenly snapped his head backwards and sprawled on the floor dead. The leader fell prone on the ground and lay still. The two men carrying the crate began rushing to the door. There was another flash of lightning that split through the smoke and illuminated the distinct black armor of a spartan. He began firing at the form with precise accuracy. The yellow light from the energy shield flashed on as the bullets made contact but after two whole seconds of AK fire, the shield suddenly popped and the form retreated back into darker, thicker smoke.

"GET OUT OF HERE!" The leader yelled toward the men carrying the crate, now shifting the door open and dashing out.

The leader fired another round of bullets into the smoke from his position on the ground but two bullets from his left ended his spray for good. The form rushed out of the smoke out through the barn door. The men carrying the crate were far down into the woods but still visible through the thick rainfall. With another crash of lightning and thunder, the spartan holstered his pistol and took a DMR off of his back. Two thunderous cracks echoed through the forest as both men fell dead in the mud. The spartan reattached the DMR to its place on his back. Suddenly, the entirely dark form of the spartan changed. Green lights came on in various places and the spartan's visor illuminated to a light green. The spartan began jogging toward where the crate had fallen next to the dead men.

"This is ThunderShock to HQ, plasma bomb cargo has been recovered. Repeat, the alien bombs have been recovered. That's the last of the terrorist group operating in this area, my mission's done, requesting pelican EVAC from current position. Spartan out."

ThunderShock stood there for a moment and looked at the sky.

"My field call is over. I can finally get back home and catch up on some things."

-End-

Thank you all for sticking around! I apologize for my lengthy absence. Life caught up with me and I hit a severe case of writer's block, unable to figure out how to direct the next course of Splash Down into an entertaining route. I won't lie, I've also been really sucked into PUBG so that's also been quite distracting. However, don't worry, I have not, and will not abandon this story. I just needed a break, albeit one I should have made clear to you all! Things will be getting back on track shortly here friends! A fresh perspective has been achieved and Splash Down will resume! Once again, thank you for sticking around and being so eager for more installments!

:smile:

He died in an away mission
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
  • GamerMason10GamerMason10 Join Date: 2018-05-18 Member: 240799Members
    I’ll be honest. I know it takes a long time to write stories. I’ve tried a few times myself. You just do you, ThunderShock27. I really enjoy your work and can’t wait for the next chapter.
    edited June 2018
  • JustAHatJustAHat Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240316Members
    o9bi8r96d58u.jpeg

why did you post it twice
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    edited June 2018
    JustAHat wrote: »
    o9bi8r96d58u.jpeg

why did you post it twice
    You kind of helped with a third.
    but why post it twice in the first place
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    edited June 2018
    One should not underestimate the efficacy of redundancy in online communication.
    One should not underestimate the efficacy of redundancy in online communication.
    edited July 2018
    Maalteromm wrote: »

qpzvorvblgze.png

edited June 2018
    It didn’t show up the first time, and I still only see one (I guess two with the repost). I thought it didn’t go through
    Edit: now I see both
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    Nooooooo why nudge nudge why did it end please come back
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    We need billy the bumpeel!
    edited July 2018
    I’m gonna do this everyday till he comes back on