Subnautica Creature Evolution Chart

2»

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited May 2018
    Nice, I have updated the chart and moved some things around so some things will need to be changed on your remake
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    I feel like the reaper leviathan also evolves from the ancestor eel. And that Bleeders and Rockgrubs are related. The Sea Treader might fit in with the Cave Crawlers?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Bleeders don't have an exoskeleton so I find it very unlikely they are related to each other.
    Reapers and eelsdont have that much similarities besides the long body part. Sea Treader and cave crawlers are vastly different
    For people who still find this chart interesting. It has been updated to included some of the Arctic Creatures that have been shown in concept arts by Alex.
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    edited July 2018
    Both of these charts are amazing! I love taxonomy and I really enjoy assigning videogame creatures to their own families. Here are some suggestions I have:

Skyrays, Giant skyrays, and alien penguins all belong to the same class, Ornithozoa (bird-animals) The skyrays and the penguins share a common ancestor, and the skyray family, Pterazoa (winged animals) again splits into the modern skyray and the giant skyray.

The Brute Shark belongs to the same order/family as the Gargantuan Skeleton (eoselachidae, old sharks) yet they split an extremely long time ago and do not share too many similarities. This group split off from the Placoselachida class (armored sharks) a very long time ago.

Holefish, and by extension Titan Holefish, share a common ancestor (but not the common ancestor for ALL Subnautican fauna) and belong to the same order, but their own family.

Titan Holefish symbiotes split off from the biter family at some point.

Stalkers, Lava Lizards, and Reapers split off from the Eoselachidae not long after they split from the placoselachida. They belong to the superorder Deinoselachida.

Stalkers and Reapers are each other’s closest living relatives, and they belong to the order Deinoselachidae (terrible sharks) Stalkers belong to the Suchoselachidae family (crocodile-sharks) while Reapers belong to the Deinoleviathanidae family.
    Lava lizards belong to their own order, Pyrosuchoidea (fire-crocodilians)

The pinnicarid belongs to the same order/class as the Rays. It split off sometime before the alpha ray fully evolved, and belongs to its own family, the Pinnicaridae.

Now, I’m no expert on taxonomy but this is just something I threw together. Lemme know what you think!
    edited July 2018
    the chart is based off of actual relations between creatures that the PDA have stated. Fan theories do not go on it unless they have solid proof. Holefish cant be related to the alpha peeper otherwise the PDA would of mention it. Just because creatures are in the same classes. Wouldn't mean they are relatives. Reapers and Stalkers have too many differences to be closely related. Gasopod and Sea Emperor also have too many differences. There is also convergent evolution that can make some creatures look related but not actually be closely related.
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    edited July 2018
    the chart is based off of actual relations between creatures that the PDA have stated. Fan theories do not go on it unless they have solid proof. Holefish cant be related to the alpha peeper otherwise the PDA would of mention it. Just because creatures are in the same classes. Wouldn't mean they are relatives. Reapers and Stalkers have too many differences to be closely related. Gasopod and Sea Emperor also have too many differences. There is also convergent evolution that can make some creatures look related but not actually be closely related.
    I get where you’re coming from, but a few things I’ll point out:
    1. If two animals are in the same class, they ARE related. They could be very distantly related, but they’re related nonetheless. Take manta rays and great whites. Not closely related, but they both belong to the subclass Elasmobranchii. Two animals can look vastly different but still be related to a degree.

2. Yeah, maybe the gasopod theory is a bit of a stretch. That one I’ll redact.

3. Reapers and stalkers DO have their differences, but they could still feasibly be related, as I mentioned in point 1. Maybe more distantly related, sure, but overall they’re pretty similar (from the neck down their basic anatomy is nigh-identical)
    The fact they have differently shaped flukes and one has large osteoderm-like structures and longer jaws doesn’t automatically mean they’re unrelated. Lots of animals who are closely related have varying structures like this. You do have a point though, they probably do need to be reassigned so they’re more distantly related, but not by too much.

4. Just because the PDA doesn’t say two animals are related doesn’t mean they’re not related. The Holefish could still belong to the same class, and be closely related to the alpha peeper, and still not be one of its descendants (modern peepers and their kin)
    They LOOK related, but I never once said they were CLOSELY related. They probably belong to the same class, not order. When I said they split off from the alpha peeper, I should have clarified I meant an ancestor to the alpha peeper, but not the common ancestor to all life on 4546B, rather, something between the two.

5. Convergent evolution exists, yes, but it doesn’t happen 100 percent of the time. It could happen in a case like the aforementioned Holefish, but in general it’s not too far off from peepers, and could still belong to the same class without being CLOSELY related.
    Take parrotlets for an example. They evolved to be physically similar to lovebirds, as they have a similar ecological niche, but they live on different continents and aren’t closely related, yet they’re still both parrots.
    Peepers and holefish live in the same geographical areas, and occupy different ecological niches, so they could still be two members of the same class who took up different roles. Again, this is the case for manta rays and great whites.

6. Lastly, we know very little about prehistoric Subnautican life, the timeline of which fossil animals existed alongside who, and the Subnautican biota in general. This makes it very difficult to assign species taxonomically, and can make creatures seem more closely related than they actually are.
    Unless the devs decide to add paleontology with thousands of species to dig up and the ability to explore the entire planet for these digs, we’ll have to make do with this, and almost certainly have some species assigned to their own families with no known relatives.

By the way, where did you get the idea for stalkers and lava lizards brim closely related? Does the PDA mention it? I honestly think them being related to stalkers is more of a stretch than Reapers being related to stalkers is.
    Stalker and Lava Lizard being relatives came from Bippity, one of the wikia admins. They said that since both are green, have large teeth, no biolumence and around the same size. That they are most likely relatives.
    Well in general. I'm not going to add what the dlc fauna are related to (expect titan holefish) I'm going to wait until the dlc comes out and then I will see what the PDA says.