Subnautica DLC Additional Storyline: Time Gate Update

YamiHikariYamiHikari Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240266Members
This is intended to be an additional storyline to the main Subnautica story, much like the upcoming Arctic Biome DLC. What it does is take the Subnautica landscape and allow the player to traverse time in it, essentially becoming able to access two biome layouts.

I got this idea from the massive skeletons in the Lost River. The Precursors were an incredibly advanced and intelligent race. They came to the planet in the game hoping to find a cure for the Kharaa bacteria. Because they were so advanced, and realizing that they would not be able to obtain the cure to the Kharaa directly from the Sea Emperor Leviathan, the Precursors constructed a Time Gate that allows them to travel back in time to long before the Kharaa arrived on Planet 4546B. They use this Time Gate to travel back into the past, hoping to be able to study the Sea Emperors and witness the development of the Kharaa cure as it happened. Unfortunately, the plan was a failure, and the Time Gate sent the Precursors way too far into the past, millions of years into the past, for that matter.

Fast-forward to the Aurora’s arrival, and the player’s character in the DLC, finding that their life may be about to come to an end, braces for the fall of the Aurora. Some unknown amount of time later, the player wakes up on an island, with no other land, and no Aurora in sight. The player explores the area, which will include some already-existing, as well as some new, biomes. As the player works toward the goal of survival, strange sounds are emitted from the island and the area surrounding it. As the player soon discovers, there is a cave on the island, not far below the surface of the water. This is the cave that houses the Time Gate.

In this DLC, the player will come across various flora and fauna from the main game, but they will also encounter many new lifeforms. These will include even the owners of the skeletons in the Lost River, and possibly even the Precursors, themselves.

This is the general concept I am proposing for an alternate storyline in Subnautica. I am very much open to any sort of additional comments or suggestions, and hope to refine this idea as much as possible in order to gain approval from the devs.

Comments

• avsom_gameravsom_gamer Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240295Members
    this is a...GREAT IDEA
  • TheBoss097TheBoss097 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240313Members
    VERY GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Interesting idea, but I disagree with a few things:

1) Aliens should not be found in the past, no remnants of them.
    2) I don't think the time machine should be made by the aliens. If it was, then they would have easily calabrated the time sensors and went to the right time period, harvesting the enzyme. Instead, the player should find the schematics they had before the aliens died off on 4546b, and construct an alterra version.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited April 2018
    Then they fall into debt just like Ryley
  • YamiHikariYamiHikari Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240266Members
    Interesting idea, but I disagree with a few things:

1) Aliens should not be found in the past, no remnants of them.
    2) I don't think the time machine should be made by the aliens. If it was, then they would have easily calabrated the time sensors and went to the right time period, harvesting the enzyme. Instead, the player should find the schematics they had before the aliens died off on 4546b, and construct an alterra version.

I understand where you're coming from with your comments, and I agree that it might not be a good idea to be able to meet the precursors in the past, but what I'm thinking of is the possibility of the precursors traveling to the past and then dying off while in the past before they manage to find the cure. The one problem you mentioned about the precursors then traveling back and recalibrating the time gate is a good point, though. I think the devs may need to give some input on whether it could work. Of course, I am new to this community, so I'm not quite sure how things function here.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    "Time" is an interesting concept to explore, but the thing the remember being
    'Time States', as vs rather with "Time Lines."

Such a gate if to connect with the "Past" would be to see things per a State of things,
    such that "Time" to be a progression of events after a sort then an actual "thing."

That if one were to "go back in time," one is moving to a state of things were as were of a sort,
    not "going" anywhere or when; such so far as things moving from there would be as part of that newly created or perhaps already always existing alternative 'timeline?' such that a "Gate" between points connects that point in things moving forwards to with the 'Future' state where connected with.

Forgoing said "gate" if a connection were lost. . . well, there is the 'long way' back I guess? XD
    (but would be as part of that line of events)

It COULD be fun though to see a glimpse of 'what may had been.'
  • LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    This should be called "Stranded" or something like that

The Arctic one should be called "Lost in the arctic"