Introduction of a range of non-lethal weapons or a Peaceful game mode

thomwblairthomwblair USA Join Date: 2018-04-13 Member: 240028Members
edited April 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
I know many people say this game is about "problem solving", not about "killing", but currently that really is not true from a couple of perspectives:
1. We continuously have to kill creatures and plants for food to even play the game (so constant killing)
2. Predators are set to violently attack as soon as you come near, much more aggressively than even sharks on earth (see Ocean Ramsey's site for more details). And, these predators have one goal: to kill you. So, the game's AI is definitely programmed to kill us at every opportunity, so more constant killing

However, I don't like killing. So, why not use non-lethal techniques to incapacitate or drive away some of these predators. Even militaries have developed a wide range of non-lethal weapons, like gasses and sprays or directed energy weapons.

With these, we introduce more variety into the game (blueprints, materials & construction) and develop a pacifist mindset, not just killing instincts.

Perhaps even something as simple as setting traps. I'd love to set stasis traps or even cage traps for bonesharks--they are too aggressive for easy playing. Their constant killing-oriented violent behavior is a real turn-off for people like me who are normally pacifists.

The game does not even come with a Peaceful game mode like Minecraft does. I think that is a real loss for people who would like to allow their children to play. The game AI is much too aggressively killing-oriented for them.

I love Subnautica, but I just wish there was less killing involved from the game's side.

Comments

• ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    There are already several non-lethal weapons in the game - Stasis Rifle, Repulsion Cannon, Vortex Torpedoes, Creature Decoys, Flares...all can distract or temporarily incapacitate predators and allow you to get away safely.

There are also several weapons that are only lethal if used a lot against the creature - Gas Torpedo, Seamoth Perimeter Defense, Survival Knife, etc.

It's survival in a kill or be killed world. The game has in place where you can either avoid or incapacitate predators if you want to avoid conflict, or to straight up kill the predators so they never bother you again.

Clearly, you would rather avoid conflict (the Bart Torgal method), but the tools are already there to prevent death, but above all, the purpose is to avoid YOUR death. I also prefer to avoid confrontation, but sometimes you just can't. I killed a Reaper Leviathan that was camping a wreck and also where my thermal plants were. Think I want to deal with him every time I add a plant, or want to go back to the wreck for titanium? No. I've also killed several Sand Sharks that kept coming for my Seamoth faster than the boys in the milkshake song.

As far as killing fish for food, I think unless you immediately head for the island to get the edible fruit and the growbeds and rush to build a base, I think killing a fish for food is inevitable. The only edible water plant readily available at the start of the game is Creepvine Samples, but cutting them too much gets rid of them, and I'm pretty sure they don't grow back once they are gone. You have 2 Nutrient Blocks to start with, which will provide you with 150 food total.

It is possible to go through the game 100% non-violent, but it will be insanely difficult early game, especially where food is concerned. It can also be expensive for vehicles (would you rather have a Reaper destroy your vehicles in order to do no harm?).
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    edited April 2018
    Also, there are 2 game modes that are peaceful.

Freedom Mode - removes hunger and thirst (no killing fish for food)
    Creative Mode - no O2, hunger, thirst, health, resource cost, aggressive predators, but also no story.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    Eating PREY animals for sustenance isn't "murder," but I do have to agree it would be nice if the "Taming" system was better working as to a point seen in Far Cry Primal or such.

As is one can bribe predators with jaws to not eat you so long as you have fish,
    (along with the Ultra Glide fins being ftw) with a limited effect from 'taming' on Stalkers.

To a point when sated, Sharks of Bone or Sand will kinda F'k off for a time along with Reapers but yeah....

Having a "tag" one could put on creatures one meets regularly in areas to track things,
    with better Taming mechanics would be great for extended games.
    (ie, you beat the main quest but choose not to leave or such if a thing)

Especially if/when the Beluga is made buildable as post-game content as part of an expansion. Eh?

but yeah..................... eating prey animals/species isn't a crime, such one isn't just killing to kill.

Speaking of 'having fun,' Ever try throwing out 2 or 3 Grav Traps in one area? ;3
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    Note: after reading the OP again, I have to agree it WOULD be nice to have more effective "traps" in the game one could make along with an Exosuit or Powered O2 tank thing like I posted for before.

We do get the Grav Trap but it's only good for small fish/rocks, and Grav Torps cannot be self left as mines plus from what know don't really work right about pulling then holding things at a central point.

Would be good also if more ways after + Taming if could interact with creatures eh?
    (maybe even have ways to train ones we raise from captivity)