Let us fix destroyed life-pods

ejnomadejnomad Under the Sea Join Date: 2018-04-15 Member: 240078Members
edited April 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
We have the technology. We fix our own life pod. Let us fix the rest of them. It could be a small project to get them up and floating again, and then I could use the 9 of them floating across the map as a system of small storage and exploration stations across the map.

Comments

• ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    It would be difficult to fix the big gaping holes, but it would be nice to salvage more from them. At least with Lifepods 4, 6, and 7, it would be nice if you could repair them to the extent the life pod beacon would become active again.
  • ejnomadejnomad Under the Sea Join Date: 2018-04-15 Member: 240078Members
    edited April 2018
    With just a hand tool I can build an entire scanner room and two mobile cameras with just the materials I have on hand. I agree it should be a challenge to repair but it's not impossible with the tech!

I also agree I was a bit disappointed I couldn't break down the radio, medkit, or fabricator in these pods for resources to be recycled elsewhere if I wasn't able to repair the pods.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Not only would this be pointless, but the lifepods have no reason to float. All of them are the exact same as your lifepod, which is useless by mid game. There's no point aside from aesthetics, but that's even worse. They look better at the bottom, where the ecosystem integrates them into tiny homes.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I'm all for repairing things in games - heck, the idea of restoring the broken and neglected always has appeal for me - but I really don't see the point. After I move out of Lifepod 5, I never really go back. Since the Lifepods really have no function beyond providing a Fabricator (can't sleep, can't install hardware) I fail to see the reason to invest time and resources in fixing a bunch of ejection bubbles I won't need or use.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    It would be neat to have some kind of "Advanced Repairs" function arms for the Exosuit(s) in the game, especially if when going forwards that if we were to have the choice to appoint a pair of arms to fix things to more quickly bring damaged bases to 100% and even perhaps put smaller vehicle salvages when wrecked back to working order if not fully totaled or to regain more salvage from them, especially a lost Cyclops.
    (with onboard cargo storages to remain intact if such ship kinds get lost)

With such a system by all such means it would be great with the right needed supplies from the Exosuit Storage + Own Storage could basically have a REALLY big couple 'Repair Tools' at arms as your Arms like one does a pair of Drills or Grapples (very effective) for such projects.

It would let us rebuild/repair and re-float them up to be used as mobile bases with own beacons.... ^-^
    (not as big a deal in base game maybe but as part of expanded gameplay & sequels? amazing)
    I'm all for repairing things in games - heck, the idea of restoring the broken and neglected always has appeal for me - but I really don't see the point. After I move out of Lifepod 5, I never really go back. Since the Lifepods really have no function beyond providing a Fabricator (can't sleep, can't install hardware) I fail to see the reason to invest time and resources in fixing a bunch of ejection bubbles I won't need or use.

I will admit late game the pods do not have much use, but early on to mid game when you are traveling around and you don't have much besides maybe a seaglider and a repair tool having all these as waystops would be very useful for cooking food, making water, and picking up a health pack, or checking the radio.

I also like the aesthetic idea of seeing a bunch of lifepods all bobbing around on the surface as a sort of "look at all these people that need saving", but at the same time just reinforces that the all alone vibe.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Why can't we deconstruct them for scrap?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    ejnomad wrote: »

I will admit late game the pods do not have much use, but early on to mid game when you are traveling around and you don't have much besides maybe a seaglider and a repair tool having all these as waystops would be very useful for cooking food, making water, and picking up a health pack, or checking the radio.

I also like the aesthetic idea of seeing a bunch of lifepods all bobbing around on the surface as a sort of "look at all these people that need saving", but at the same time just reinforces that the all alone vibe.

You have a builder within the first hour. After that, your set if you just make a mobile base set. Honestly, these have no use at all.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

Because it's illegal. You'd be arrested by Alterra.
    edited April 2018
    You have a builder within the first hour. After that, your set if you just make a mobile base set. Honestly, these have no use at all.

For maybe how you play the game sure.

EvilSmoo wrote: »

Because it's illegal. You'd be arrested by Alterra.

What we do / need to do in the game isn't really in or part of "Legal" matters as an employee.... lol,
    such that as an employee but not as part of their job ? that the things you collect make or use are set as part of Altera's property the same as with anything else. . . then it shouldn't matter?

More the lack of an effective deconstruction tool system in the base game,

For which point of question being able to both Fix or Scrap larger bits of wreckage would be useful...
    (something vehicle based like the Suit thing?)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    It is a part of legal matters. It is even stated in game that salving lager pieces of metal from the ship, lifepods or wrecks is illegal, Though collecting small metal salvage you find on the floor is legal.
    It is a part of legal matters. It is even stated in game that salving lager pieces of metal from the ship, lifepods or wrecks is illegal, Though collecting small metal salvage you find on the floor is legal.

Exactly my point. I stole you explanation again :)

For maybe how you play the game sure.

How do you not have one? I'm not being rude, i'm seriously curious.
    I think I actually remember something about that now while watching some LP/Walkthrough videos before starting mine..... lolz,

That one would need to have a Salvaging Permit or such for such an operation along with the tools to do so, with such a kind of rules thing in place so that people do not go pirating such locations on their own...
    *(would be kinda fun to do so though eh, if had such tools & licenses)
  • BasileusMaximosBasileusMaximos Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240257Members
    I'd rather salvage them tbh. Its getting in the way of my base.
    I'd rather salvage them tbh. Its getting in the way of my base.

Yet, as said by the PDA, larger wreck salvages are illegal to collect.

And that would be tampering with death sites, which is also most likely a crime.