Add 1-2 second cooldown on auto pick up of the weapon you just dropped

Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
So that I stop picking up my empty rifle mid combat when trying to grab a shotgun.

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    I thought there was one... it's about 2 seconds.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well I mainly play on TA but I'm pretty sure it happens on any. I've experimented with just dropping a weapon without another to pick up and it seems there is some kind off cooldown, but clearly it's not long enough or this wouldn't happen 7/10 times. Alternatively, having the use key interact with weapons directly to weapon swap while maintaining the G key to drop could work as another solution.

I don't really see much downside to extending the existing cooldown though, in what circumstances do you drop your weapon and immediately need to pick it back up automatically? Either you're dropping it to pick up another weapon or giving it to somebody else, then taking theirs. G is far enough out of the way to very rarely be accidentally fired too. About the only circumstance I can think of where it could matter is dropping your weapon as the target weapon expires, leaving only one weapon remaining to pick up, the one you just dropped.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    that's why you throw you weapon behind you :tongue:
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    No, don't make weapon shuffling even worse
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    the amount of time there is gl´s and shotties on 5% red almost going away and you throw your rifle but the pile of empty rifles still are the ones picked up and by the time you realize or rethrow your weapon its to late for gl. Before the gun would actually prioritize the best weapon however im having similair issues lately now reading & thinking about it made me remember.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    NS2+ has an option to auto pickup better weapons, the issue with that is that I've heard the GL is treated as better than the SG and I don't really want to accidentally pick one up and drop my SG.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    and how can I drag 2 shotguns away from one place to another?
    When I have sg and a sg is in front of me... without taking minutes
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2018
    you ask a mac to grab it for you :tongue:

@Ghosthree3 you should disable that option anyway. The last thing I want is to fight with an LMG and auto pickup the shotgun midfight that my teammate just dropped which is empty.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Handschuh wrote: »

It would be nice if you could carry a second weapon by holding G, but being unable to shoot while you carry it.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mephilles wrote: »

Brilliant. Imagine being able to utilize macs to retrieve fallen equipment and dropping them next to an armory, or deliver the equipment to a marine like a dota carrier.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018

Brilliant. Imagine being able to utilize macs to retrieve fallen equipment and dropping them next to an armory, or deliver the equipment to a marine like a dota carrier.

I wouldn't trust MAC, last time I asked for a coffee... Well let's just say I had to go to a waterworld, get shot at and crash and even after all that... I still had build myself a bloody MAC AI coffee machine just to get my coffee. I'm done with MAC after their firmware update, let alone trust them with moving weaponry around!
    @Ghosthree3 you should disable that option anyway. The last thing I want is to fight with an LMG and auto pickup the shotgun midfight that my teammate just dropped which is empty.

Yeah that's true, there's lots of downsides to that option.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Handschuh wrote: »

It would be nice if you could carry a second weapon by holding G, but being unable to shoot while you carry it.

I would love that... even if it has some sort of delay till you can shoot again when you drop it...