40 hours in, need some advice, have some comments

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
Hello, guys, I am having a blast playing the game, it was wise to postpone it until I got powerful enough hardware to run it smoothly on full details, it's extremely beautiful, mesmerizing game. However, I would like to discuss a few things:

1) My scanner room pinpointed locations of databoxes around my base, one is in that red sea weed biome. When I approach, the blip is in a piece of wreckage from Aurora. There is n way to swim it, it's a piece of the outer hull, compact, one piece, and the only obvious entrance is a door. However, my laser cutter does not work. It did work on many similar doors in the game, inside Aurora mostly, but I have noticed that the door was always a bit dirty, like from smoke (damaged perhaps?) However, the cutter does not work here. What is it, a bug? Or is the game designed so that the cutter arbitrarily works on some doors only, even though they look the same? Come on, that would be bad design. Why can I cut through some door and cannot through other? It should at least start cutting and then say something like it's too sturdy, or provide some feedback. This feels really, really bad.

2) I understand you have removed the thermometer from the game, so why is it still in the blueprints when there is no way to build it? Come on, tidy up your game, this is no longer alpha/beta, this is a released, final product, people have right to expect reasonable level of polish.

3) I don't understand the rationale behind bleach producing drinkable water. Osmotic filtration through some membrane, that makes sense (first type of water), but bleach does literally nothing on saltwater, besides, the salt itself is strong enough to kill most/all of the bacteria. To make seawater drinkable, one needs a way to remove the salt, and bleach cannot do that.

4) There is no animation when ascending/descending a ladder and it looks really, really bad. Entering and leaving base/seamoth is good, but this really should be added.

Otherwise, I appreciate a game that is able to stay interesting and motivate players without silly quests and constant combat. In fact, it's fantastic there is little to no combat in the game. Well done!

Comments

• TheSwiftStrikeTheSwiftStrike Join Date: 2018-01-08 Member: 234894Members
    There are two "red seaweed biomes," which one are you talking about? Is it a big ravine? I checked the wreck in the ravine and, I didn't find any doors, or data boxes. You can just enter it through the openings.
    There is a data box in the other "red seaweed" biome but, it is not in a piece of wreckage. (That I know of).

Also, about the laser cutter, the doors that can be cut are darkened in the middle , and if you're holding the laser cutter, if you go up to it a 0% indicator will show up on your crosshair.
    (Doors that can never be opened usually have a yellow "Locked" written on them, not on the crosshair, on the actual door)

Hope that helps!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The seabases ladders (expect the moonpool ones) don't have animation let because they still need to be worked on to be very fast since it would get very annoying on creative if you have to wait 4 minutes to climb down a ladder that is at 10m and goes down all the way to 300m
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    1) My scanner room pinpointed locations of databoxes around my base, one is in that red sea weed biome. When I approach, the blip is in a piece of wreckage from Aurora. There is n way to swim it, it's a piece of the outer hull, compact, one piece, and the only obvious entrance is a door. However, my laser cutter does not work. It did work on many similar doors in the game, inside Aurora mostly, but I have noticed that the door was always a bit dirty, like from smoke (damaged perhaps?) However, the cutter does not work here. What is it, a bug? Or is the game designed so that the cutter arbitrarily works on some doors only, even though they look the same? Come on, that would be bad design. Why can I cut through some door and cannot through other? It should at least start cutting and then say something like it's too sturdy, or provide some feedback. This feels really, really bad.
    I think I know where this is.
    If you can't use the laser cutter, don't focus on it. Try searching for other entrances. Sometimes it is really hard to notice the entrance, but it should have some sort of shaft you can access.
    Worst case scenario, abandon it. You don't have to explore the whole map to get everything, the same blueprints can be acquired on different wrecks.
    3) I don't understand the rationale behind bleach producing drinkable water. Osmotic filtration through some membrane, that makes sense (first type of water), but bleach does literally nothing on saltwater, besides, the salt itself is strong enough to kill most/all of the bacteria. To make seawater drinkable, one needs a way to remove the salt, and bleach cannot do that.
    As you probably knows, bleach is used to purify water (kill pathogens) but can't desalinize it. Don't try to reason. At this point I don't think there is any going back. Face it as an alternate game mechanic to obtain water and that's it.

Salt won't necessarily kill bacteria, as the micro lifeforms on the water are adapted to live in it. There are even some bacteria that thrive in extreme salty conditions.
    Some bacteria will die in the presence of salt, if they evolved to live away from it. And not all bacteria are noxious to us.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    The seabases ladders (expect the moonpool ones) don't have animation let because they still need to be worked on to be very fast since it would get very annoying on creative if you have to wait 4 minutes to climb down a ladder that is at 10m and goes down all the way to 300m

My general reasoning.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I might know the wreck you're talking about, but you might want to post a screenshot so we can all see. If it's the one I'm thinking of, then there definitely is a way to that databox.

And as others have said, only the doors that look scorched in the middle can have the cutter used on them. It's arbitrary, yes, but it's just a gameplay mechanic. I wouldn't think too hard about it. (Same with the chlorine.)

I agree about the thermometer still being in the blueprints, it really should be removed. I can see why that would be a low priority item for the devs, though.