PRAWN/Cyclops Ergonomics - Accessing storage

scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
I didn't see this in a forum search, so here goes.
I absolutely love the combination that is the Cyclops/PRAWN Suit. Hearts-and-flowers love it. Except for one teensy thing: unless I'm missing something, you can't access the PRAWN's storage compartment when it's docked to the Cyclops. Now, it's entirely possible that I'm an idiot and it's already possible and I'm just a dolt who can't figure that out.
But in the off chance I'm not a moron, a minor redesign of the hatch covering in the docking bay would allow you to reach the PRAWN's storage compartment when it's docked. Of course, there's no such thing as a "minor redesign" when it comes to 3D models, but it's really the only problem I've had with that pairing.

Comments

• SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
  • undefilerundefiler Join Date: 2017-03-02 Member: 228496Members
    edited March 2017
    You can't access anything docked to the cyclops. Not upgrades, not inventory, not even repairs. I've even tried stacking up tables and benches and lockers into a staircase to try and reach the top of the PRAWN for inventory and repairs -- nope.

I suspect this is a built in flaw - the entirety of the Cyclops is likely one singular object [Cyclops] that only uses a different graphical model for [PrawnClops] or [MothClops] depending on which is docked. This is significantly easier on both code and engine than actually coding a docking mechanism where the prawn and cyclops are attached and yet move together - just thinking of the collision physics lags my brain out. This isn't so much of a problem with the MoonPool because that's stationary.

If that were the case, it would be nice if there was some sort of console or panel created where we can access and repair/modify our docked vehicles.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited March 2017
    @scifiwriterguy I guess I must be a moron too because I can't find an angle to access my P.R.A.W.N nor my Seamoth inventory or Upgrades when docked. Would love if they implement a panel like @undefiler said or maybe give us one or two more tabs on our PDA when we are close enough to our vehicles or inside them from where we can access their inventory and upgrades. Could also work nicely with the new drag&drop mechanic which came with the "Infected" update.

Also love to see a repair option for Cyclops and Moonpool. Both should not "only" charge the vehicle but also do repairs if necessary.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    undefiler wrote: »
    I've even tried stacking up tables and benches and lockers into a staircase to try and reach the top of the PRAWN for inventory and repairs -- nope.

Talk about an undignified way to lose the game.

Stack up a bunch of furniture in an attempt to reach submersible access panels.
    Floater accidentally sticks to Cyclops hull.
    Cyclops tilts.
    Stack collapses.
    Player breaks neck in fall.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Also love to see a repair option for Cyclops and Moonpool. Both should not "only" charge the vehicle but also do repairs if necessary.

Hmmm...an in-wall module like the vehicle upgrade station. Keep it stocked with titanium and other resources and it patches up your sub. I like it. :)
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017

Hmmm...an in-wall module like the vehicle upgrade station. Keep it stocked with titanium and other resources and it patches up your sub. I like it. :)

I see what you're going for here, but repairing vehicles requires only a Welder and a (rechargable) Battery. Using Titanium, a non-renewable resource, would dissuade players from even considering building it. However, a Vehicle Repair Upgrade module for the Cyclops could operate on the same principle, spending power to automatically repair docked vehicles.

Tooltip Example:
    VEHICLE NANO-REPAIR - Cyclops only
    Uses nano technology to repair damaged vehicles when docked into Cyclops. (an excuse not to add welder animations)
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    undefiler wrote: »
    ...it would be nice if there was some sort of console or panel...where we can access and repair/modify our docked vehicles.

This is simple and elegant, make it so! (paraphrased from Picard)
    ...an in-wall module like the vehicle upgrade station. Keep it stocked with titanium and other resources and it patches up your...

For the moonpool, it should be part of the vehicle upgrade station. Just have a slot on the other side from the module fabricator to stuff resources in like a locker.
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    I see what you're going for here, but repairing vehicles requires only a Welder and a (rechargable) Battery. Using Titanium, a non-renewable resource, would dissuade players from even considering building it.

Sure, and if you're doing the repairs yourself, it is free (except for a little battery power). But if you're going to be lazy and go for convenience, it should cost you a little.

For the moonpool, it should be part of the vehicle upgrade station. Just have a slot on the other side from the module fabricator to stuff resources in like a locker.

Précisément! :)
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    I see what you're going for here, but repairing vehicles requires only a Welder and a (rechargable) Battery. Using Titanium, a non-renewable resource, would dissuade players from even considering building it.

Sure, and if you're doing the repairs yourself, it is free (except for a little battery power). But if you're going to be lazy and go for convenience, it should cost you a little.

Which is why I'd rather do the repairs myself and save the Titanium for a Filtration Machine. So yeah, anyone lazy enough to go for this deserves to pay that extra fee.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    @scifiwriterguy & @Phoenix223
    I think it should just be resource free simply because the Moonpool itself has a hefty build cost attached to it already and you could add this in via an Upgrade slot for the Moonpool itself like the scanner room upgrades, just next to the upgrade console on the wall. Build an repair module which would cost extra but then you save the manual repair if you just have taken a few percent damage. I think that would be ok. If you need to do emergency repairs you won't drive a badly damaged vehicle back to base anyway. At least I would not.

I like the Nano-Repair-Upgrade for the Cyclops idea. Got way to less upgrades for the Cyclops anyways. Does anyone know if the devs have planned some more upgrade modules for it?

• Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    This and the ability to repair the PRAWN while docked in moonpool or cyclops with a repair tool. I mean- it's right there! I should be able to repair it! But no. It insists on having no valid hitbox.
  • CynosisCynosis Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236879Members
    You can access the prawns storage on the hud of the vehicle accessory bay in the Cyclops.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Cynosis wrote: »
    You can access the prawns storage on the hud of the vehicle accessory bay in the Cyclops.
    Yeah, they kinda resurrected a year old discussion. That's why it feels off.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Cynosis wrote: »

I'm really glad they solved this problem (yet it does seem a bit unsatisfying as quick fix just to magic items in and out of storage).

I really hope they end up doing something to allow access to PRAWN storage & modules (and repairs) when parked in habitat moonpools.

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Meanwhile in the future after this thread was made
    I'm still puzzled why this hasn't got a fix in all this time (i.e. for base moonpools)
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    For a Cyclops, you can access the storage and upgrades of any parked vehicle.

For the moonpool, you can't, but on the Nexus (i'll link it later) there's a mod that does exactly this.
    Thanks @AnomalyDetected, it would be nice of a fan to patch that.

But I'm still not sure why UWE wouldn't want to fix it themselves. It's clearly sonething that needs to be patched. They seem to invite bug notifications - they've set up two systems to receive them after all. But it's like putting a message in a bottle. You find a bug, report it, then years can pass and there's no fix, nor any feedback or any indication that anyone at UWE has even knows of it. It's kind of discouraging.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    They mainly focus on other things than small bugs. So right now they are working on expansion while fixing more of the major game breaking bugs,
    So, do they read the bug reports do you think?
    they do, you may not see these bugs because a lot happen so quickly
    Well it would be nice to have the bug reports acknowleged at least.
  • BTown780BTown780 Canada Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239944Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    Well it would be nice to have the bug reports acknowleged at least.

Yeah it's interesting how many "no duh" things haven't been fixed. Fingers crossed!
    Still a favourite game though
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    Not sure how many times said, but...
    You can access Storage & Upgrades via Panel to Port Side inside Cyclops.

It would though be great if we could do the same in Moonpools via the Upgrades Panel,
    and by the same make Color / Name Changes using the Cyclops panel while likewise using either Moonpool or Cyclops "Upgrade Panel" locations for any vehicle's upgrades.

It'd also be AMAZING if we had a tab while inside a vehicle for our PDA at the bottom for on the "inventory" section to have access for our Storage Areas and Upgrades if in the Prawn Suit for its Arms.
    Okay, this is now officially a necropost.

The original post - when this was still an issue - was over a full year ago. This problem has long since been solved.

@Foxy, please consider this a request from the OP that this thread be permanently put out to pasture.
This discussion has been closed.