Motivations for building more than one base

BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
As the game stands you can easily get away with building just one base - right under your life pod if you want. With a view to future updates or the Arctic DLC, I'd love to see some game mechanics introduced to motivate building new and deeper bases. All that comes to mind is perhaps doing some Precursor bioengeering using the currently decorative lab equipment: You'd use this on various fishy test-subjects grown in your alien containment tanks, and certain species could only be grown at certain depths/biomes. Your motive could be to use the results to make various benificial serums or maybe bio-mod yourself a little. But I'm not really sure just what these could do for you. Any thoughts on this mechanic or other possibiities?

Comments

• ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    I have been thinking about making themed Alien Containment units for each biome (with creatures and plants from those specific biomes), and I thought it would be cool to modify the environment within the containment, such as adding salt to instigate the brine effect of the Lost River, adding sand to the bottom for Sand Sharks to burrow in, adding some sort of textures on the walls to simulate growing areas for table coral or cave environments, and even increasing the water temperature to mimic the Inactive Lava Zone. This could include encouraging symbiotic relationships, such as a Crashfish in a containment with a Sulfur Plant will periodically form Cave Sulfur, or placing a Metal Salvage in a containment with Stalkers for Stalker Teeth. Perhaps this is something that could be combined with your idea.
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    On the other hand, I have had several bases set up over the course of my game when I played my first time.

1-Grassy Plateaus near Lifepod 17 (deconstructed and moved to Mountain Island)
    2-Blood Kelp Trench (deconstructed and moved to Lost River entrance in same biome)
    3-Lost River Corridor (deconstructed after base construction at all Lost River entrances was halted)
    4-Mountain Island (warp gates to Floating Island, Thermal Plant, and Primary Containment)
    5-Ghost Forest (deconstructed when all warp gates were activated)

Canceled Base Plans
    -Ghost Canyon
    -Mountain Corridor
    -Tree Cove
    -Lava Castle

I suppose expansion later in the game is unnecessary, but there are several hard-to reach areas before the Cyclops or before the warp gates are activated. Personally, when I do play it again (non-creative), I would establish only one base in the Ghost Forest, because it was a fair distance between the Mountain Island, the warp gate to the Primary Containment Facility (via the Ghost Forest), and easy access to the Lava Zone through the Junction and Tree Cove areas. The Ghost Leviathan was easy enough to avoid, though I never traveled the Lost River with my Cyclops. In fact, my Cyclops was almost unnecessary because I only used it to ferry resources from my Mountain Island base to the Lost River base. Additionally, the Ghost Leviathan in the Northern Blood Kelp Zone was a no-show the entire game. I have even explored the entire area with my Seamoth Sonar, and never saw it. Even when I played a new game in Creative mode, it wasn't there. Although, the physics of my Creative save got corrupted when I was traveling from the Ghost Forest to the Primary Containment Facility, it glitched mid-warp and dropped me below the map, after falling 8000 meters twice, I was able to do a quick save before I fell through the ground again, but ever since then, the water physics never worked again, even with saving and reloading. I ended up deleting that Creative save and started a new one, but in the new save, the Ghost Leviathan showed up where it was supposed to be in the NBKZ.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Lol, I too made bases all over the shop first up. My favourite was in amongst the black smokers with a view of the giant Cove Tree - had to be careful to park the seamoth above 900m though! I then started building at each warp gate, but after a while building for the sake of it seemed a little pointless. I guess I'm just hoping for a mechanic that really draws out my enjoyment of the game.

But yeah, making ecosystem-themed containment tanks with a usefulness sounds pretty cool. They could make it a little tricky by requiring companion planting or associated fauna - then a whole fan thing would spring up about how to raise your sandshark. For Science.
    By the way, I had that same glitch during that same warp - but in Survival mode and without the on-going physics problem thankfully. Interestingly, I have no northern blood-kelp ghost either on that playthrough.
  • BTown780BTown780 Canada Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239944Members
    I've been building stagin bases in different areas/depths so I can quickly go between places and activities. I did a bit of a write up here on my rationale: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2382676#Comment_2382676

That being said, I would also like to see some mechanics that encourage this. Certain things can only be built at certain depths or certain biomes. Maybe mining or drilling rigs that slowly produce materials or something at extreme depths.
    The bio-research model is my hobby horse. Seems to fit a little more comfortably with the no-carnage mechanic. But really I dislike trashing poor old 4546B too much.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    It's called "Survival" game mode types. ;)

Jokes aside, that is to a point what the Cyclops and later in larger expansions the "Atlas" Beluga Research Submarines are for as mobile Storage, Scanning & Supply units, with Main Bases for Scanning and Ag.

Though again, perhaps in the future "Hard Core" can instead mean that things break down with time along with more things to track personally concerning Injuries & Toxins, such to give things more value.
    *(and the "one life" thing to be for a "one life" mode kind of option of its own + others)

It is good to have further bases for Scanning, but w/o a Map HUD page in the PDA,
    it isn't "Needed" to have the full map in scanners range... with say 2 or 3 points most for Cell Recharging.

There is much to expand on as we move ahead in the "Natural Subnautica" universe.
    Just a matter of how much of it we get to sea.