Subnautica Creature Evolution Chart

jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
For those who don't use the wiki, I have recently made a chart showing the evolution of the Subnautica fauna. Due to the picture being to big to upload here. I will just post the link to it. New update: Added most of the expansion creatures.
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Jamintheinfinite/Creature_Evolution_Chart

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Thank you!
    Personally, this is useful to me.
    I've always wanted to see how creatures in the game evolved

Also:
    Permission to use your amazing chart to make a custom version?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Sure, as long as you give credit
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Sure, as long as you give credit

Thank you! I'll make sure to credit you for the research and original model.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    I would proably wait a bit, since I'm going to update the chart soon
    I would proably wait a bit, since I'm going to update the chart soon

I will wait for a bit then.

Again, very nice chart!
    There we go, the thing is now updated
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    Reefbacks being related to Gasopods is not likely. The data bank states that the resemblances between the two are purely visual, the glands themselves are for a completely purpose. There's also the fact that the Reefback is an invertebrate whilst the Gasopod clearly is not.

The Rabbit Ray also splits off from the Alpha Ray rather than the Ghostray.

The Boneshark, Biter, Sand Shark, Rockgrub and Theta also don't fit like that. The five of them should all be splitting from one common ancestor. Rather than the other four splitting from the Theta.

Aside from that I think everything else looks quite accurate.
    BIPPITY wrote: »
    Reefbacks being related to Gasopods is not likely. The data bank states that the resemblances between the two are purely visual, the glands themselves are for a completely purpose. There's also the fact that the Reefback is an invertebrate whilst the Gasopod clearly is not.

The Rabbit Ray also splits off from the Alpha Ray rather than the Ghostray.

The Boneshark, Biter, Sand Shark, Rockgrub and Theta also don't fit like that. The five of them should all be splitting from one common ancestor. Rather than the other four splitting from the Theta.

Aside from that I think everything else looks quite accurate.

Copy and pasting 101
    How is it so far?

Any improvements I can make or suggestions?

y894kwow1okp.png
    edited March 2018
    Looks great, lot more organized than my mess
    Update on the chart!

Feel free to make any suggestions, question it, or comment on it.

yv1k0edvumn5.png
    Another Update:

Finished the Eel Section.

l4v1qxk7n0r7.png
    I wonder if this is on the Discord, yet? I cant check because I can't see the discord
    I wonder if this is on the Discord, yet? I cant check because I can't see the discord

Should I post it there? I haven't seen anyone mention it yet.
  • Muninn_CrowMuninn_Crow Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238401Members
    edited March 2018
    Any chance the Floater and Amoeboid are related? They have similar structures and latch onto things, and the Ancient Floaters look quite similar to the Amoeboid.

This is looking great.
    Any chance the Floater and Amoboid are related? They have similar structures and latch onto things.

This is looking great.

That is exactly what I thought, but I'm letting Jam call the shots. It is their property, after all.
    They probably have some relation but I'm not so sure
    Yeah, you can put it on the discord since I cant

I will continue tomorrow, but here's all I've done today.

Comments, Ideas, Suggestions, whatever, comment it below.

cdb7csign25y.png
    Yeah, you can put it on the discord since I cant

Done. I credited you in the text, as well as posted the original.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Any chance the Floater and Amoeboid are related? They have similar structures and latch onto things, and the Ancient Floaters look quite similar to the Amoeboid.

This is looking great.

Floaters and amoeboids are quite different. The floater is a more complex animal made up of two symbiotic species (The main pink creature and an outer membrane made up of microorganisms which stores a layer of helium for flotation), but the amoeboid as it's name suggests is more of an enormous single celled organism that reproduces through mitosis. The floater's databank entry also suggests that they only begin to reproduce once they reach the "ancient" stage.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members

This is looking great.

Floaters and amoeboids are quite different. The floater is a more complex animal made up of two symbiotic species (The main pink creature and an outer membrane made up of microorganisms which stores a layer of helium for flotation), but the amoeboid as it's name suggests is more of an enormous single celled organism that reproduces through mitosis. The floater's databank entry also suggests that they only begin to reproduce once they reach the "ancient" stage.

Perhaps the ameboid is related to the Tree leech; they follow a similar life cycle, although the ameboid is much less complex than the floater. However, I have toyed with the theory that the tree leech and the floater are actually the same organism but at different stage of its life cycle. But I abandoned this because there's no place for the tree leech to fit into the more probable cycle of Gel Sack - Floater Colony - Ancient Floater

Update to Alterra's encyclopedia of the universe's marvels: Floater maturation (that is, when all of the floaters bubble up from the ocean depths as a sort of upside-down rain.
    You also have to take in the fact that the tree leech was the home of the best creature ever, the sand worm.

Please add sandworm to expansion pass
  • Muninn_CrowMuninn_Crow Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238401Members
    Yeah, I considered commenting on the tree leech as well, but decided against it.
    As for the Amoeboid, I do understand your point that it is very different from the Floater, but perhaps the Floater split off from the Amoeboid, becoming a more complex creature. Noting how the Ancient Floaters remain attached to their rocks, I find it curious how they can have a birthing process (unless the young floaters are developed on the outside, where they would be exposed). If Floaters don't form as eggs on the outside of Ancient Floaters, then they may just split off into many, rather than into halves. (Honestly, both remind me of Metroids, but lacking the aggression)
    I suppose we'd need to find a real-world analogue to better understand the two creatures well, aside from simply taking the microscopic process and making them macro, such as the Amoeboid.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    The Membrain tree is described by the databank as being fauna (two coral species in association) - so maybe these share an evolutionary history with the floaters?

ai18kewm2dug.png

Interestingly, this entry seems to show it's family tree (bottom right). I can't seem to decipher the labels in this pic though.
    edited April 2018
    I find it unlikely the floater and membrain share the same evolutionary path. They do have some similarities but these could just be a concidence. Just like how the reefback and gasopod have similar looking glands, but they don't share the same evolutionary path
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    It is interesting to compare your work with this project: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2362882#Comment_2362882

It'll be fun if we have competing theories we can reference.

However, we're still lacking publication of the cladistic dataset!
    Hmm. Didn't even know that existed
  • TigerTomTigerTom Join Date: 2018-02-27 Member: 238363Members
    Wait, the Ghost Leviathan evolved from me?
    edited May 2018
    The ghost and Ampeels evoled from the same ancestor. The ghost has electrical prongs just like the Ampeel. The ghost just can't use them
    I'll be honest, I completely forgot this existed. I'll get to work on it sometime next week (Currently last week of school/finals)