The Online Map Problem

TunnelrindTunnelrind Schweiz Join Date: 2018-02-20 Member: 237969Members
I love this game. The developers had some pretty good ideas. There are some issues, that I think could be handled better. Several times during my playthrough was I compelled to look at an online map of the world. This game shouldn't rely on the wiki to find some of the places.
  1. Sometimes you really need a blueprint from a specific wreck. Wrecks are hard to find, especially if you don't have a high end PC and the rendering distance is really limited. Even if you do find wrecks in different biomes, you need to find specific one. I really like the scanning aspect of the game. Wouldn't it be more fun, if you got the blueprints by the scanning of wildlife? You could get the seamoth blueprint by scanning spadefish (the look alike), the cyclops hull blueprint by scanning reefbacks, etc. This way, each biome would offer some easy to find blueprints. That would eliminate the need to look up blueprint locations. You still would need to travel around and explore to get new blueprints. The wrecks could be used for bonus loot like interior decorations, the coffee machine etc.
  2. Some resources or locations need too much time to be found without the wiki. If the scanner room were more interactable and could cover a larger space, one wouldn't need an online map. I'm sure, everyone looked at a map from time to time. I really like the idea of a scanner room. It's really difficult to interpret the terrain though.
  3. The ping locations from the scanner room HUD really need some sort of distance marker.

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @Tunnelrind

1 - That's a nice suggestion, already presented before, however there are some pitfalls here too. Wrecks are harder to come by, but once you explore one it is easy to know that you already did it. Knowing that you fully explored a biome is a little harder unless some sort of tracking is implemented.
    That would lead to problems such as having to find a specific creature for a certain blueprint, like is the case for the aerogel blueprint, which requires that you pickup a Gel Sack. There are several complaints about this. Personally, I think that it should be enough to scan the Gel Sack to get the recipe (given that you have also scanned or picked up a Ruby).

2 - It is true that some resources / locations take longer, that is only natural. However what takes long for you to find isn't necessarily what will take longer for someone else to find. Even in subsequent playthroughs this order might change for yourself. The scanner room has seem many iterations, ranging from where it was nearly useless with a really short range, to being game breaking by covering a huge area and killing the exploration aspect of the game.
    As for wikis, can't speak for others and I know I'm an exception, I never look at them unless I have a profound understanding of the game. IMO they are huge game spoilers. And maps aren't my thing either, I like to be forced to concentrate on where I'm going and where I'm passing through. I disable them whenever possible, unless it is a tactical requirement such as in pvp.

3 - That is another requisition that pops from time to time. My favorite suggestion (can't remember who suggested it) was to make the scanner markers scale with distance, turning far away markers into dots that grow to the regular size as you approach them, which would address both the distance and cluttering issues.
  • TunnelrindTunnelrind Schweiz Join Date: 2018-02-20 Member: 237969Members
    @Maalteromm

1 - You are right about that. Gel Sacks are hard to find and the aerogel recipee is tough. It would have to be flora or fauna that's fairly abundant -- either to be found in different biomes or easily obtainable in just one biome. To me, the wreck solution felt out of place.

2 - I too wanted to play subnautica without online information. I did that about 20 hours -- up to the gel sack problem. I drove around for about two hours until I looked at the online wiki. Even then, I could not find the cyclops engine fragments.
  • EccleZoneEccleZone Germany Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237105Members
    What about these MODs for Subnautica:
    1. -> LiveMap
    There is another one on Nexus
    and
    3. -> Better Scanner Blips

Give them a try