New Submarine : The Kraken

LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
edited June 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
SUMMARY
The Kraken is a big submarine, about 25% larger than the size of a Cyclops. It has 2 large spotlights that can be controlled, and has a large spike on the back that can damage other creatures. There are two solar panels on top.

In case you were wondering... no, it will not be able to fit a cyclops.

KEEL
The keel is much larger than the Cyclop's, and contains a large hatch, 12 storage lockers, 2 fire extinguishers, and a ladder leading up to the middle section.

MIDDLE SECTION
This is above the keel. It has two rooms.

One is the generator room, which has a nuclear reactor, a bioreactor, and space to build some water purifiers.

The other is an empty room that can have anything.

UPPER SECTION
The upper section is above the middle section. It has a large bridge, with controllable spotlights, a customization station, a holograph of the Kraken, and space to build.

It also has a docking room with 2 hatches (one for a Seamoth, and one for a PRAWN Suit).

There is also an engine room, with two large spinning engines. It has 8 power cells and 8 upgrade slots.

In the middle, there is a small alien containment room.

UPGRADES
The Kraken can have the same upgrades as the Cyclops, but has a few more new ones.

Torpedo Launcher : Allows the Kraken to shoot torpedoes.

Stealth Upgrade : Allows the Kraken's engine to run much quieter and can activate camouflage.

Hull Reinforcement : Gives the Kraken 50% more health. Does not stack.

Engine Cooling Fan Module : Flank speed does not cause fire, and Emergency speed takes 50% more time to overheat.

SPEEDS
All of the current speeds are about 1m/sec slower, and there is a new speed. Flank speed will not make fire if you have the engine fan upgrade.

Emergency Speed goes 30m/sec, but is very dangerous. It creates a huge amount of noise, drains a lot of energy, but is good for escaping leviathans. After 20 seconds, a fire has a chance to occur every 2 seconds. If the fire is not extinguished in time, the engine may explode, destroying the whole sub.

Ramming into leviathans multiple times with the spike in flank or emergency speed may kill them, but make sure they don't kill you!

Comments

• Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    @LeeTwentyThree It'd be useful if you could aim the torpedos from a certain camera view. As for the Kraken's offensive abilities, I can tell that you've been readying Jules Verne. What'd be even more fun is that, if we're going Nautilus in the arctic, we might as well make it capable of breaking through the ice at flank velocity. That's a way to bring back Terraforming, isn't it; make your sup terraform stuff by busting it open.
  • LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    @LeeTwentyThree It'd be useful if you could aim the torpedos from a certain camera view. As for the Kraken's offensive abilities, I can tell that you've been readying Jules Verne. What'd be even more fun is that, if we're going Nautilus in the arctic, we might as well make it capable of breaking through the ice at flank velocity. That's a way to bring back Terraforming, isn't it; make your sup terraform stuff by busting it open.

Yes, and I never noticed how similar the cyclops is to the Nautilus. Water purifiers, a submarine docking bay, engine room, and just the shape. I even remember hearing something about a rebreather even.

I guess subnautica was based of this.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members

Yes, and I never noticed how similar the cyclops is to the Nautilus. Water purifiers, a submarine docking bay, engine room, and just the shape. I even remember hearing something about a rebreather even.

I guess subnautica was based of this.

Yeah, well, Subnautica borrowed from a lot.
  • ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members
    If you want the DEV's to add this new sub into the game you need to make a digital 3d model and submit it to them and you might have it added into the game one day
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    edited March 2018
    If you want the DEV's to add this new sub into the game you need to make a digital 3d model and submit it to them and you might have it added into the game one day

I would, but I’m not too great at 3D design. I’ve only been able to make a mushroom and some grass. I also made a crashed aurora model that looked like the real one, but it was in Roblox...

I could probably draw a picture, though.
  • Gamerman47Gamerman47 Join Date: 2018-03-18 Member: 239277Members
  • chill7509chill7509 United States Join Date: 2018-03-22 Member: 239385Members
    Heres a tweak to your idea if you dont mind, a combat mode, where you can launch directly from the camera view. like each cam has a launcher. along with a massive shock wave attack. and make the sub big enough to be a true mobile base.
  • ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members

I would, but I’m not too great at 3D design. I’ve only been able to make a mushroom and some grass. I also made a crashed aurora model that looked like the real one, but it was in Roblox...

I could probably draw a picture, though.

If you cant make a good 3d model see if you can find someone to make it for you then post it.
  • FluxCapFluxCap United States Join Date: 2018-03-26 Member: 239511Members
    Being able to dock both the Prawn and Seamoth would be great for a next level sub. I also would like energy generation, and water purification abilities.

Should Kyanite be needed to build this to where it is aimed at end game content?
    FluxCap wrote: »
    Being able to dock both the Prawn and Seamoth would be great for a next level sub. I also would like energy generation, and water purification abilities.

Should Kyanite be needed to build this to where it is aimed at end game content?

That would make sense, because kyanite is supposed to be heat-resistant.
  • TheBoss097TheBoss097 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240313Members
    I love the idea of both PRAWN and Seamoth docking on the sub, also love power generation. Maybe make it have an auto pilot, because it'd be so big that it would be hard to maneuver through tight spaces. Keep up the good work!
  • AnachAnach Join Date: 2018-06-10 Member: 241279Members
    I like the idea of a bigger sub, but even the Cyclops is difficult enough to move around. It wouldn't be so bad if the sea level was higher, so we wouldn't keep running into things.

Instead of another sub, I'd like to see alternative living areas. Why not allow us to find an Aurora section we can build in, or another crashed sub or ship. Maybe some caves where there's an air bubble, and we have to maintain a certain quantity of air in the cave to keep the water coming in.
  • ChenTheGuyChenTheGuy Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234272Members
    The Kraken is a big submarine, about 25% larger than the size of a Cyclops.
    Here are the measurements. If the Kraken is 25% larger than the Cyclops it would be 221.25 feet long, 48.75 feet wide and 56.25 feet tall. By the way sounds super cool.
  • SilentSlayer25SilentSlayer25 Join Date: 2018-07-03 Member: 241899Members
    I had an idea pretty similar to this, but the sub was big enough to dock all three of your vehicles (Cyclops, PRAWN Suit, Seamoth). I thought it would be cool if you got the blueprint after finding the cure for the Kharaa. It would be strong enough to withstand a lot of damage from ghost leviathans and other leviathans, so it would have the ability to traverse through the dead zone. Once traveling through the dead zone for a while, you would come to a whole other area to explore. This would probably be a huge DLC or maybe even a later update.
  • glutenfreeglutenfree Join Date: 2018-07-05 Member: 241933Members
    Amazing idea ! :smile:

But I feel like story-wise, this should replace the cyclops somehow because as it stands it's simply just better. That's somewhat the issue you have to deal with when theorizing about a cyclope-like vessel.
  • sus777sus777 Join Date: 2018-07-08 Member: 242014Members
    איך אני מעלה דיון אני לא מוצא אפשרות כזו. וחוץ מזה למה שלא יעשו CO-OP או MULTIPLAYER של 4 אנשים שהשרדו
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Why is the idea of larger and larger subs appealing? I mean the cyclops was a real cow to drive.
  • BomooBomoo Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236923Members
    Yeah, I don't understand the desire for gigantic subs. Maybe if this was like a multiplayer underwater Star Citizen type game, okay, but for one person to drive? In the game's fiction, even the Cyclops is said to be designed for a crew of, what is it, four? But can be operated by a single person in an emergency.

Though if they ever make a sequel where there is either a multiplayer component or the ability to manage NPC followers/crew members, something like the story of the Degasi crew. That'd actually be super interesting, I think, but well outside the scope of this game.
    edited August 2018
    @Bomoo wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't understand the desire for gigantic subs. Maybe if this was like a multiplayer underwater Star Citizen type game, okay, but for one person to drive? In the game's fiction, even the Cyclops is said to be designed for a crew of, what is it, four? But can be operated by a single person in an emergency.

Though if they ever make a sequel where there is either a multiplayer component or the ability to manage NPC followers/crew members, something like the story of the Degasi crew. That'd actually be super interesting, I think, but well outside the scope of this game.

I never said it was gigantic, I said it was about 25% larger. It’s not the atlas, just a sub with another small vehicle dock and some power generators.

It would be maybe like 10 meters longer. The bottom floor would be a bit smaller to make room for the new middle floor.
    The Kraken is a big submarine, about 25% larger than the size of a Cyclops.
    Here are the measurements. If the Kraken is 25% larger than the Cyclops it would be 221.25 feet long, 48.75 feet wide and 56.25 feet tall. By the way sounds super cool.
    Yes, and in meters it would be 67.5 meters long, 15 meters long, and 17.5 meters tall.

@Bomoo How is that “gigantic”?