Time Capsule voting

Comments

• matrixdllmatrixdll Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235941Members
    AceDude wrote: »
    I finally made the already-voted-on capsules disappear.
    That's great news! The voting system is actually useful now.

Do you think it would be a good idea to promote the link to the time capsule voting page in a dedicated pinned discussion thread on Steam:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/

There's a slight chance of raids to upvote the useless meme-capsules (shouldn't be a problem, since you can always just not accept them into the game), but it will definitely speed up the preliminary voting process, if more people will get involved.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I think this system still needs a lot more work done on it for it to be good.

It needs a better sorting system with more options like newest to oldest or oldest to newest, and highest ranking to lowest ranking or lowest ranking to highest ranking.

It needs search function so you can find capsules by searching for words in their name or words in their description, among other things.

It needs a better blacklist that at least includes these items:

Anything related to the aliens like Ion Cubes, Alien Tablets, Ion Batteries/Powercells, and Hatching Enzymes.

Most vehicle upgrades. At least the really powerful ones like depth modules and prawn arms, as well as some other cyclops upgrades.

Crystalline Sulfur, Kyanite, and Nickel Ore.

Cuddlefish

You shouldn't be able to put those items in time capsules for story or general progression reasons, and any capsules out there, even already accepted ones, that have those items should have the items automatically removed from the capsule.

You also shouldn't have to make a Time Capsule to launch the rocket. While it won't completely help with spam I'm sure a lot of people are just making low effort capsules so that they can go on with the launch quicker.
  • Rising_DuskRising_Dusk USA Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221320Members
    edited March 2018
    Things are in pretty good shape right now with all of the changes made to the system, but I think there needs to be a way to automatically remove extremely negatively reviewed time capsules from the queue. If something is at 0 upvotes and 10+ downvotes, it's pretty unanimously bad. I just reviewed at least 1000 of these and there wasn't a single heavily downvoted capsule submission that didn't deserve it IMO; the people voting on these don't have unrealistic expectations.

Oh, I also agree with others that there needs to be a better means of searching for specific time capsules or filtering them in some way. I'd much rather review the capsules with actual effort put in them (maybe I'd filter based on character length) than those with a scant few words and virtually no invested effort.
  • Blue_NovaBlue_Nova Join Date: 2018-03-05 Member: 238638Members
    edited March 2018
    So... I only gave a bunch of vehicle upgrades. My main focus was on the story and I chose those items because it fit. It was about how I had to go deeper to get further up in the air. So I gave some mobility upgrades like high level depth upgrades because it fit. That doesn't mean it's a bad capsule right? I mean, I gave them no bateries, so it's not like they can make use of it until they get the Prawn/Cyclops. On another note, how long does it take for time capsules to show up in voting, because I haven't seen mine for 24 hours. Any way I can be sure it didn't fail to upload? Sorry if this isn't the right place for this post.
  • PobesneoMarxPobesneoMarx Croatia Join Date: 2018-03-07 Member: 238674Members
    Just finished the game and loved it!
    I didn't like the TC concept - i found several of them and got max depth modules for the prawn and cyclops, it felt like cheating. It would be good to have an option to disable them, like someone already suggested. It also deteriorates the immersion, makes it feel like it's a tourist destination.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Just finished the game and loved it!
    I didn't like the TC concept - i found several of them and got max depth modules for the prawn and cyclops, it felt like cheating. It would be good to have an option to disable them, like someone already suggested. It also deteriorates the immersion, makes it feel like it's a tourist destination.

Agreed. I hate finding overpowered ones. Maybe a list of what could be put inside would help. Like you could only put early and early mid game items, like food, water, some early minerals, stuff like that.
    Blue_Nova wrote: »
    So... I only gave a bunch of vehicle upgrades. My main focus was on the story and I chose those items because it fit. It was about how I had to go deeper to get further up in the air. So I gave some mobility upgrades like high level depth upgrades because it fit. That doesn't mean it's a bad capsule right? I mean, I gave them no bateries, so it's not like they can make use of it until they get the Prawn/Cyclops. On another note, how long does it take for time capsules to show up in voting, because I haven't seen mine for 24 hours. Any way I can be sure it didn't fail to upload? Sorry if this isn't the right place for this post.

It's kinda cheaty for me. Like, just getting the best depth modules is kinda... you know, have the best stuff. And what if you get it literally 2 minutes in? Then it's really cheaty. I'm not saying you did anything bad, it just feels... wrong to get such good stuff without any real effort.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Personally I would like the ability to disable time capsules when I start a new game. The majority of the fun in the game is finding everything for yourself. I wouldn't want them disabled entirely, for everyone, as each player is entitled to play the game however they wish. I just don't want them for myself, not even cluttering up the seascape if I choose to leave them untouched.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    With the latest patch, certain items can no longer be included in a time capsule. Not sure exactly what, but when I tried to add a CuddleFish egg, it was rejected.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I don't think you've ever been able to put Cuddlefish eggs in capsules. Could still put Cuddlefish themselves in though.
  • Rising_DuskRising_Dusk USA Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221320Members
    edited March 2018
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    I don't think you've ever been able to put Cuddlefish eggs in capsules. Could still put Cuddlefish themselves in though.
    You definitely could. My fiance actually received a time capsule with a Cuddlefish egg in it from pre-patch.
    It's kinda cheaty for me. Like, just getting the best depth modules is kinda... you know, have the best stuff. And what if you get it literally 2 minutes in? Then it's really cheaty. I'm not saying you did anything bad, it just feels... wrong to get such good stuff without any real effort.
    As a veteran I prefer finding capsules that have late-game items in them. My favorite part of it is that it is the only real thing that changes how the game plays out. Without time capsules, I would always progress the game the same way, but with them I have the ability to do things a bit differently. A good example of this is how in one playthrough I received a Seamoth Perimeter Defense upgrade out of my first capsule, which let me stick with the Seamoth and be a little more bold as I played the midgame. Also, while I do agree that the depth modules are extremely powerful, many other upgrade modules are fair to include in a time capsule because they don't break progression and just give the player options. Finally, ion batteries and power cells are great items to include IMO because it doesn't change anything about how you play the game, it's just a bit more convenient when you get them.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »

You used to be able to put either of those in a time capsule. Putting in a hatched cuddlefish seemed to be a problem though.

I received one capsule that had a live cuddlefish in it, but never saw the critter when I opened it. I guess either it immediately swam away to find its original owner, or the poor little guy didn't survive the trip. :(
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited March 2018
    Is there a way to sort them? All I see are capsules from 2 months ago. I tried voting on as many as I can (mostly downvoting spoiler capsules), but they don't seem to ever end.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    The top voted is full of Ion Power Cells. Ew.

Why are they even allow this? What if a brand new player finds this? They get spoiled of the future gameplay and story. They also get hours of gameplay shed away as they have late game items.
  • Meower_PowerMeower_Power USA Join Date: 2018-04-03 Member: 239743Members
    Maybe, Anomaly, but i only found my first time capsule after a few daysm on gameplay.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Remember that the votes are just the first step, the devs still have to approve the capsules.
    narfblat wrote: »
    Remember that the votes are just the first step, the devs still have to approve the capsules.

I don't think that's how it works. I've been finding capsules in other languages, cheaty items, all of it.
  • Meower_PowerMeower_Power USA Join Date: 2018-04-03 Member: 239743Members
    yeah, its the votes
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited April 2018
    narfblat wrote: »

I don't think that's how it works. I've been finding capsules in other languages, cheaty items, all of it.

I found one called "Floatery" that said, "This is a terriable [ sic ] time capsule" and had nothing but floaters in it. I can't see a dev approving that.
  • OSubMarinOSubMarin FR Join Date: 2018-04-27 Member: 240362Members
    edited May 2018
    Hello everyone,

I developped an application allowing you to navigate through time-capsule voting queue easily (with some options to search specific time-capsules).
    Here it is : https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/154676/time-capsule-explorer/p1

Enjoy ;)
  • ripjawwolffangripjawwolffang Australia nsw Join Date: 2018-06-13 Member: 241356Members
    Is there a way to vote on just the Xbox ones? I just put out my time capsule but even after playing for 30 hours I actually have never seen a time capsule in the wild as it where... probably because of the loading problems on the Xbox, speaking of which...

Also have the devs abandoned the Xbox? We can’t seem to get any updates on what’s going on over there...
    the games fantastic but it’s slow rendering speed means I swim over wrecks and important stuff without even seeing it just because it doesn’t load in for ages, so the sea floor looks bear even if there is a huge thumping wreck or a tiny time capsule hidden there... other people are having the same problem but can’t get a reaponse?
    I purchised the game to support it, ya know? I knew it would be buggy so I accept that... but man I want to know what the devs are doing...I wanna see this game succeed on the Xbox... I’m worried you’ve abandoned us?
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    edited June 2018
    Please disregard this, what I thought to be a bug with the website was actually my slow internet, I am sorry for polluting your thread with an irrelevant post.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    TFW it took you 5 months after 1.0 to finally find a time capsule
  • VHDVHD United States Join Date: 2018-07-03 Member: 241885Members
    All I see are hundreds of submissions from 5 months ago...

Would it be possible to filter out submissions that include late game upgrades (like depth modules, artifact tablets, ion-based assemblies, etc)? Also, being able to filter by language would help a lot.

I downvoted everything with a major spoiler (photo of the rocket, for example).
  • cornycorny Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242268Members
    hey, sorry if i didnt see this question answered but i scrolled long through this not finding it so im gonna ask it here: i beat the game yesterday and put some stuff in the time capsule and 1 melonseed and after i ended th game it got into my head that these are kinda useless if u cant grow them and when u get the interior or outerior growbeds u have the melon seeds anyway so i wanna ask if i can load my game and use the rocket again sending another time capsule or is it limited to 1 per player and if so is it possible to delete my first one so i can send somethiong useful to the players?
  • MazzyMazzy Australia Join Date: 2018-03-11 Member: 238890Members
    All i see is a ton of submissions from 7 months ago i scrolled down for a good 5 mins and all are from 7 months ago so i feel it is a waste of time. In one game i had 3 stasis rifles, 2 seaglides etc. I have launched 7 capsules 7 game play through s with what i felt would benefit a new player without ruining the game but i have yet to see my submissions.
  • UdjuUdju Join Date: 2019-01-14 Member: 248724Members
    edited January 2019
    The voting would make more sense if the items that were added to the time capsule could be seen.
  • joselitoeujoselitoeu ? Join Date: 2016-06-08 Member: 218274Members
    Udju wrote: »
    The voting would make more sense if the items that were added to the time capsule could be seen.

I came here just to point out that the new time capsules are not showing up the items inside. Is it a bug or intentional? Also, the voting page should allow to organize by time or something.
  • bassman5066bassman5066 Pennsylvania Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249913Members
    When attempting to vote on a time capsule I am getting 404 not found. I have confirmed it does not register the vote either.
  • kidcopernicuskidcopernicus American Free States Join Date: 2019-03-08 Member: 251589Members
    I love the Time Capsules. But it does seem like the Time Capsule implementation is proving to be more difficult than expected.

I think assigning some moderators to sift through the content could be key here - human eyes that can filter out the spam and maybe some of the immersion-breaking images, as well as nerf the contents if they're too powerful.

I would volunteer in this effort, and I'm certain a lot of other users would as well. Worth considering, Unknown Worlds.
  • AlainColcerAlainColcer Chile, South America Join Date: 2019-09-13 Member: 254689Members
    Hi quick question regarding timecapsules, would it ever be possible to skip submitting a capsule? i wish to finish subnautica several times but the requiremnt to fill capsules before launch is a bit annoying. Can we just place the capsule but "skip" submitting it somehow? i dont want to litter UWEs website with dummy capsules filled with copper.