Autocomplete chattext

peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
It would be really nice if the chat window supported autocompletion (pressing tab).
Say I am playing map Veil, and I am writting N and presses tab, it should autocomplete to Nanogrid.
If I press tab again it would autocomplete to (the) Neck.
If I press tab again it could autocomplete to Neo (if such player was playing).

Follow up suggestion; it would be nice if there was an audio notification/beep if my nick was written in the chat.

Comments

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I'd just like to suggest one thing.

Buy and/or use a microphone...
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It is much faster to Type that Name than to scroll through names via a key. The second suggestion makes more sense imo, some Kind of notification when you are mentioned in team Chat.
  • peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
    Kasharic wrote: »
    except I know females that will not do that, because of the attention that will draw to them.

It is much faster to Type that Name than to scroll through names via a key.
    The second suggestion makes more sense imo, some Kind of notification when you are mentioned in team Chat.

It is no way faster than than use autocompletion, especially when you have learned how many tabs to apply.
    Secondly for player names like |1|l||li|l, do you think you will get that right?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    pebl wrote: »
    It is no way faster than than use autocompletion, especially when you have learned how many tabs to apply.

But wouldnt that change constantly as people join and leave?

Overall, I think dev ressources are better used elsewhere.
    Vetinari wrote: »
    But wouldnt that change constantly as people join and leave?
    Not if the map locations goes first.
    I agree if the map locations and names are mixed then this will be slow.

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this are good suggestions for a modification. But better have some shortcut that copies locations names to the chat by clicking it on the map. Additionally the players current location with another shortcut.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members

People spam the mic sometimes. People also spam the chat sometimes, but at least you have the possibility to choose one whilst spam is occurring for the other. If both, then sad day.

It's also helpful if you play late at night and people are asleep. You may even manually choose your own autocompletes if you wish. Good idea.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

People spam the mic sometimes. People also spam the chat sometimes, but at least you have the possibility to choose one whilst spam is occurring for the other. If both, then sad day.

It's also helpful if you play late at night and people are asleep. You may even manually choose your own autocompletes if you wish. Good idea.

At that point you might as well set up some macros, frankly
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    edited July 2017
    Vetinari wrote: »

At that point you might as well set up some macros, frankly

How many macros would you need to set up to account for the rooms in the several maps that you might wish to play?

Also, for not a lot of work, a bunch of people could get some use out of it. There are more important things to worry about, but this is something to file to the side for an NS3 maybe, in 2087.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2017
    except I know females that will not do that, because of the attention that will draw to them.

install a voice modulation software ;]
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
    .trixX. wrote: »

install a voice modulation software ;]

Hmm what was that one called again which worked pretty well... MorphVoiceX or something? Or you could go the more expensive GassyMexican route (Line 6 UX2 and Line 6 Pod farm). Both not free in any way though
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Never heard of that, but here's a free example: http://screamingbee.com/Product/MorphVOXJunior.aspx
    Not perfect, but would do the job of masking female voices ;]
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
    Oh so there's a free version of that bit of software. Also that Line 6 stuff is basically what GassyMexican uses for some of his more epic voice impressions.

On another note, I vaguely recall GoldSrc having script options to link named location entities (from all kinds of mods) to a chat bind by pointing at it with your crosshair and automatically fill out a bind

say "yo we got some issues at %location%"
    Tab completion in chattext is now implemented in Shine.