Most effective use if the Scanner Room?

JozrozJozroz Sweden Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230525Members
What's the most effective way of using the Scanner Room? Would it be to attach one to outposts in new areas?

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    MaxAstro wrote: »
    Actually, even after being turned off and back on the scanner room is STILL reporting the location of fragments I've already collected.
    I think that's because what the scanner does for some items is report where the nodes where they spawn are located. And I am sure that outcroppings will eventually respawn after you harvest them.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited June 2017
    General usages:
    • Good for picking up drilled ore parts with the HUD
    • Easily find hidden dark resources, like uranite ore
    • Find fragments you need in wrecks and other bases
    • 2 exploring cams which also have a signal
    • Viewing the topology of cave systems

Placements:
    • Tiny microbases to act like a nomad (MPR,hatch,bioreactor,plant&pot,scannerroom)
    • Near a wreck, abandoned or alien base, or just an interesting landmark
    • Never too close to kelp forests to save your cams and keep your signals
    • At the center of a biome, like the Mountain caverns, TPG, GR Top, etc.

Extended range covers a very large area, including height differences.

Sometimes, if the scan list is too long, you won't see your target on the list, but it still can be scanned. Try getting back later.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    I still like the scanner room, but I'm on the fence about the big hologram. At first I used the camera drones quite bit as I was learning some of the biomes and then used them to try to find my way into the ILZ. The short range turned out to be a killer. Now I just use the room to find whatever resources I'm currently searching for. And for the "Record" I too would love to be able to scroll that scanner menu.
    I still like the scanner room, but I'm on the fence about the big hologram. At first I used the camera drones quite bit as I was learning some of the biomes and then used them to try to find my way into the ILZ. The short range turned out to be a killer. Now I just use the room to find whatever resources I'm currently searching for. And for the "Record" I too would love to be able to scroll that scanner menu.

The range is good enough I think if you have 4 range extension modules. If I place a scanner room in the castle, I can get almost all resources in the Lava Zone.

The things that still don't work right is the non scrollable menu and sometimes you need to swim near a resource type and come back to the scanner room for the scanner room to pick up and register that type. Or it's some random weird behaviour I can't look through.

So the scanner room still needs some minor fixes.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    Well I learned a thing. I didn't know range extension modules stacked.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members

Only for Scanning Range. It does not increase the range of camera drones.

I even think it doesn't affect range that much as the number of items scannable. So the 1st few items get picked and then it's over if you don't have the range extensions.

But I'm not really sure.

There's also something strange as you can't seem to scan resources who's first examples are already far away. But after swimming to the resources and back, the scanner room picks up these types as scannable where it wouldn't at first.

I wish the scanner room would reliably pick up every resource type in a precisely defined range and the type list would be scrollable.

Then the scanner room also seems to pick up resources in the players inventory or Prawn containers. You don't see the signals usually because they are at your back, but if you turn around quickly you do so.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Question: do the scanning only happen around the station itself or also the camera? because that's how it feel and I find it a little sad that by the time I could build a scanner I needed to build another base to really get an use from it.
  • SgtHawkSgtHawk Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237545Members
    Maybe this is considered necromancy but I feel it's important to know:
    The scanner room is only able to scan those parts of the world that are already loaded in. If you start the game only your immediate surroundings are loaded. More and more areas get loaded when you swim there or send your cameras out there. That's also the reason why the list of scannable items might be quite short after starting the game but extends while you continue exploring during that game session.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    SgtHawk wrote: »
    Maybe this is considered necromancy but I feel it's important to know:
    The scanner room is only able to scan those parts of the world that are already loaded in. If you start the game only your immediate surroundings are loaded. More and more areas get loaded when you swim there or send your cameras out there. That's also the reason why the list of scannable items might be quite short after starting the game but extends while you continue exploring during that game session.

the game should load the resources in the range of the scanner rooms when you load your game, you shouldn't be forced to re-explore stuff you've already explored just for the scanner room to function properly.

Secondly this is not communicated to the player anywhere in the game, if it wasn't for the forums i wouldn't know about this limitation.
  • The_CreamsterThe_Creamster Australia Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238017Members
    Interesting to know that one has to explore the area around the scanner room after it's built to get full use of its range(mine is range*3, speed *1)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Most effective use of it is used to stalk people who cause thread necro.
  • m0nk3nm0nk3n subnautica Join Date: 2018-02-11 Member: 237402Members
    what's with the lag the last meter before going into the scanner room?