New Subnautica>Nintendo Switch Disscussion

Lerryt6754Lerryt6754 Join Date: 2017-06-05 Member: 230948Members
Hey devs! I know you probably have already seen a few discussions like this, but I wanted to give you an idea. If you put Subnautica on the Switch, I think it would be a great opportunity for your game to grow in popularity. The Switch is able to run Skyrim, which is a pretty big game in terms of graphics and world size. I know a lot of other people don't think the Switch can run it, but I think it can. For the Switch, the only problem with it would be that it would be an indie game(because your not already in kahoots with Nintendo, or are you?). Thanks for listening to my suggestion!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2017
    "but I think it can."

Based on what exactly?

I mean all odds are against it in terms of performance, memory and UWE knowledge about how the Switch works on a hardware level. If Xbone has trouble and even the end boss PC rigs of 2017 are running into trouble from time to time. What exactly makes you think a console, vastly less powerful than the minimum requirements, could run Subnautica?

If Skyrim/Creation Engine is your benchmark threshhold, just compare the minimum requirements to Subnautica/Unity. That is quite a gap and remember, on the bare minimum requirements, Subnautica runs like molasses

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/11231
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/subnautica/12571

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Subnautica spreading it's wings. But Switch, being way below minimum specs at what 2x Xbox 360 level? I'm having a hard time even imagining the pupper from Nintendo being able to take a bite out of Subnautica :worried: I would love UWE proving me wrong as well :tongue:

• Lerryt6754Lerryt6754 Join Date: 2017-06-05 Member: 230948Members
    Kouji_San, I see what you mean. But the Nintendo Switchs graphics card is a tegra x1 meaning graphics for Subnautica are covered. Next, disk space isn't an issue as it has 32gb (Subnautica requires 6gb) and ram is ddr4 25gb(Subnautica requires 8gb ram). CPU and CPU speed on the Switch is the only problem I'm seeing so far, so I ruled out most of the problems you went over.(also, additional storage space can be added if you add a microSD)
    Also I don't mean to offend your research, you did a good job on that
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2017
    Well no, actually it only has 4Gb ram in two banks (you probably saw that it runs at ~25Gbit/s). 25Gb would be WAY more what the Switch would ever use. Also it's an odd Gb number in any case, as system memory tends to go in series of 2/4/6/8/12/16/24/32 (even numbers, ever since the Gb++ era came along, but the same held true back when Mb's was the hotstuff :D Apart from 1Mb and 1Gb ...) etc...

Anyway, 4Gb which also has to run the Nintendo OS. But that's not the main issue, storage and memory usage could also be fixed by running much lower res textures and lower poly models. As you mentioned the CPU is way below specs, which is kinda what Subnautica relies on the most with the loading and unloading of the world on the fly, this is bottlenecked by the HDD, which can be improved by switching to a SSD. But that will still require way more CPU and memory bandwidth the Switch has available, to run smoothly

And it is running on another operating system (in house Nintendo?), that might be the biggest hurdle alongside it simply having not enough power.

Also don't worry about it, I aim to misbehave :tongue: So by all means, call me out when I'm wrong, I would love to see it running on Switch, but I just don't see it happening...
    Yeah, maybe in the future they'll make a console thats portable and able to run Subnautica. But people are probably better off getting a gaming laptop if they want to play it on the go. Nintendo just isn't too big on the power of their consoles.( also I can imagine Microsoft making a portable Xbox, most likely called the Xbox GO. But let's be real, Nintendo is the king of portable systems)
    Also, it kinda seems like the Console Wars changed in 2017, as it seems the Nintendo Switch is starting to take over.(that's just my opinion, and pc doesn't count as it isn't technically a console, because it would automatically win the Console Wars)
    edited June 2017
    Xbox ... 2?

Which should be 3 (4?)! Heck even the almighty Valve cannot count beyond 2... Only Sony seems capable of that feat :trollface:

Might I remind everyone that Nintendo was supposed to be called...

completely off-topic
    The Nintendo Revolution

Not this wii, wiiu wiiu wiiu wiiu (what is that an ambulance going past?)

Nintendo
    Super Nintendo
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo Game Cube

+ Gameboy

Baddass names right?

In comes the... Wii :tongue:
    Sometimes it seems like Microsoft gets the names mixed up, as it seems as if they should have called the original Xbox just Xbox, the Xbox 360 the Xbox ONE, and the Xbox ONE the Xbox 360. (Also I need some advice, what gaming laptop should I get? It's hard for me to choose.)
    Lerryt6754 wrote: »
    Sometimes it seems like Microsoft gets the names mixed up, as it seems as if they should have called the original Xbox just Xbox, the Xbox 360 the Xbox ONE, and the Xbox ONE the Xbox 360. (Also I need some advice, what gaming laptop should I get? It's hard for me to choose.)

Hah, their Windows also suffers from the same awesome numerical naming issues.

Just post a thread asking for advice, those tend to draw in people who are willing to help ya out.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Lerryt6754 wrote: »

I totally agree with you on that point, but let's not leave the shame up to just Microsoft... as weird as their console naming scheme is, at least they are more creative than Sony and their PlayStation:

1. First console - PlayStation   :smiley:
    2. Second console - PlayStation 2   :smile:
    3. Third console - PlayStation 3   :neutral:
    4. Fourth console - PlayStation 4   :frowning:
    5. Fifth console - PlayStation 5   :angry:

Of course the PlayStation 5 doesn't exist yet, but I doubt their creative team will stretch too hard on this one lol.

Also, since we're discussing gaming consoles, I am compelled to post a link to this delightful gem of gaming comedy:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=gZA2770_f84

Amy: "This is a nightmare! How will you ever make a decision?!"
    Sheldon: "See, I don't know! What should I do?"
    Amy: "PLEASE! PASS! THE BUTTER!" :lol:
    edited June 2017
    Atari, 2600(2800)/5200/7800 (-> +2600 for some reason), Jaguar, Lynx

Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii (Revolution), WiiU, Switch
    - Game Boy variants and... the... Virtual Boy...

Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive (Sega CD, 32x), Dreamcast, Saturn
    - Game Gear

Gotta hand it to these oldschool console peeps... Microsoft and Sony are completely out of their league where names are concerned. At least Microsoft tried, but it's a well known fact they can't count. Just look at their Windows lineup :tongue:
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I totally agree with you on that point, but let's not leave the shame up to just Microsoft... as weird as their console naming scheme is, at least they are more creative than Sony and their PlayStation:

Playstation's naming scheme will reveal genius in a few decades, we will look at Microsoft trying to look edgier than they are with name that try too hard like "Xbonulator HyperXOne X" and think "meh... another supermarket product"
    Then we will all know "THE Playstation" whose name represent itself and replaced "gaming console" as a name, and we will say: "Nice, they don't take us for idiots and have been doing that for like 10 generations".

In fact, the naming is so great it already bite Microsoft, they can't call their console "Xbox 3" when their concurrent have a mightier looking "Playstation 4".

(I should mention that I shit on all consoles equally, PC MASTER RACE !)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited June 2017
    @Sam_Starfall Heck ya, my brotha! *high fives* I'll give the consoles some room on the playground to have some fun, as they've proven themselves more grown-up from their older days of jacks and hopscotch (PS1 and Xbox vs today's PS4 and XB1 that is). But no matter how far they've come or how far they'll go, when it comes to the PC vs. Console debates, I'm firmly entrenched on the side of Team PC! :triumph:

(P.S. I have nothing against consoles or console players - I just prefer The One To Rule Them All™ lol) :tongue:

Also of a bit of irony, just today I found this clickbait article on Polygon... it would appear Atari (yes, THAT Atari) is working on *le gasp* a NEW CONSOLE?! Like the author notes, its very unlikely to be a next-gen console (possibly some form of retro setup ala Nintendo's Classic NES or maybe like the SteamBox?) But more variety on the field of battle is always a good thing. :)
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Well no, actually it only has 4Gb ram in two banks (you probably saw that it runs at ~25Gbit/s). 25Gb would be WAY more what the Switch would ever use. Also it's an odd Gb number in any case, as system memory tends to go in series of 2/4/6/8/12/16/24/32 (even numbers, ever since the Gb++ era came along, but the same held true back when Mb's was the hotstuff :D Apart from 1Mb and 1Gb ...) etc....

technically 1Gb is an even number as 1Gb =1024mb (or 1000mb depending on who you ask (binary vs decimal))

• Maxi1512Maxi1512 Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237106Members
    I think the switch could run it. is only the question if nintendo want to have this game on their console
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    "but I think it can."

Based on what exactly?

I mean all odds are against it in terms of performance, memory and UWE knowledge about how the Switch works on a hardware level. If Xbone has trouble and even the end boss PC rigs of 2017 are running into trouble from time to time. What exactly makes you think a console, vastly less powerful than the minimum requirements, could run Subnautica?

If Skyrim/Creation Engine is your benchmark threshhold, just compare the minimum requirements to Subnautica/Unity. That is quite a gap and remember, on the bare minimum requirements, Subnautica runs like molasses

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/11231
    https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/subnautica/12571

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Subnautica spreading it's wings. But Switch, being way below minimum specs at what 2x Xbox 360 level? I'm having a hard time even imagining the pupper from Nintendo being able to take a bite out of Subnautica :worried: I would love UWE proving me wrong as well :tongue:

I would like to add that the new DOOM was ported to the Switch.
    Where there's a will there's a way!
  • Palidian7Palidian7 United States Join Date: 2018-02-15 Member: 237690Members

This is the wrong approach. The Skyrim ported to the Switch was not the original Skyrim, but the Special Edition released for PS4 and Xbox One. The minimum requirements for the special edition are actually quite similar to the mins for Subnautica. The only real problem is the amount of system memory needed for the game; which would be drastically reduced if UWE could pull off a physical copy release. :)