Touching up the Fish

arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
Hello all,

I'm very new to Subnautica and picked up a copy during the January holidays while I had a few days off work.
I've had a lot of fun with mods for the Unreal Engine and Jupiter Engine but the Unity Engine is very new to me with Subnautica being the first game I've played on it. Is Subnautica very unique in terms of how the graphics have been pushed to the most superb level or is it a common feature across the engine?

I'm starting to learn more about the Unity Engine and how it handles files and will start off with some small bits to see where it goes.

The title of this thread is a bit suspect but here they are in the flesh with a tinsel/speckle touch up.
All credit to the develops for the base texture, specular, and illumination effects.

b29yg86pdq49.jpg

Comments

• OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    arramus wrote: »
    -- I'm very new to Subnautica --

To the game itself, possibly. But you've probably watched SN videos (or other SN related content) for a while already, or how else are you familiar with the name "Airsack" which was changed back to the original name "Bladderfish" (and remains that to this day) all the way back in August of 2016
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    Hello Ojakokko.

The reason I am familiar with the name Airsack is because that is what the texture file for this species of fish is called inside the game files.

I am indeed very new to Subnautica, and to be quite honest, took a prolonged hiatus from gaming for quite a while and wasn't aware of Subnautica in any shape or form. I've certainly very much made amends on that though over the last few weeks.
    Just playing really and adding small touches here and there to see how the illuminations fare.

A warning spoiler on this one for players who haven't got deeper into the game and found some 'cute' areas.
    sf9wjlji2oeo.jpg
    I don't know what purpose those horny nipply extensions serve but they give a punkish look with a bit of gold added.
    krl4jxr3m3k4.jpg