Do stalker teeth and other items despawn?

_alphaBeta__alphaBeta_ NJ, USA Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237099Members
I have a habitat on the edge of a kelp forest with a scanner room. One of the reasons I kept it around as the game went on was to find stalker teeth. Everytime I've searched for them, eventually a good amount come up. I never collected them since I didn't need them and figured they'd be out there when I did. Well now I need them, and stalker teeth aren't even an option to select on the scanner room. Where did they all go? Even if some moved around or out of range, I'd think there should always be a healthy amount of them in the forest. There used to be a big cluster of them, though I can't remember exactly where to check if they're really there and the scanner room is experiencing some sort of bug. Only modification I made since the scanner room was working was to insert a single range module. Otherwise, I've previously added a wall locker and removed the cameras since the stalkers are way overzealous to steal my cameras out of their sockets at this location.

Comments

• suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    Nothing despawns (except maybe corpses)
  • EmptyPepsiCanEmptyPepsiCan Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234350Members
    Stalker teeth are pretty easy anyway. Just drop a couple of pieces of scrap metal near a pod of stalkers, then hang out while they chew on it and grab the teeth as they drop. It helps to have a Seamoth, but it's not necessary. You can get as many as you'll ever need in 10-15 minutes. Way easier than searching for them.
  • _alphaBeta__alphaBeta_ NJ, USA Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237099Members
    I more concerned at the moment that this scanner room, and others, has bugged out. I'm also reading that the scanner room doesn't necessarily scan chunks that haven't been loaded in the current game session. I probably haven't swam over to where the teeth may be since loading my save, so perhaps that's why they're not showing up. That kind of defeats the purpose of the scanner room I would think if I'm freshly loading a save. Then again, I suppose you could view this as actually having a use for the camera drones. They'll presumably load the chunks since they're rendering for the camera drone.

I'll experiment further with the assumption that the teeth are out there, but not being picked up by the scanner. Thanks for the confirmation that they're probably still out there. I'll do a sweep either myself or with the cameras and see if that solves it.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    I wondered that myself. I think maybe they don't spawn unless the player is nearby. I seem to find a decent amount at the beginning of the game when I am near the Kelp and Stalker groups, and then only get them in the later game if I give metal to the stalkers to play with.

I also feel terrible when I steal the metal from them. lol
  • _alphaBeta__alphaBeta_ NJ, USA Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237099Members
    Yep, all the stalker teeth are there, but you need to swim near them to load the block they're in. I'm torn on this since it feels gamey, but then again it unintentionally provides some incentive to use the camera drones to load the block for you.

Again, thanks for the confirmation; I had a little too much faith in the scanner room and thought they disappeared.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Tossing a grav trap at a Stalker seems to work extremely well. Had 5 teeth caught in the grav trap in a few minutes. It is possible that a few Stalker Teeth were in the area and the grav trap picked them up.
  • QuetasQuetas Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237137Members
    edited February 2018
  • StoneE4StoneE4 Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215783Members
    Items can despawn if you pile them on the ocean floor. I've stacked piles of both scrap and stalker teeth only to return and find they all disappeared.
  • Jimothy_MuzupaJimothy_Muzupa United States Join Date: 2018-02-11 Member: 237369Members
    I've personally had stalker teeth sink into the ground and keep on going. I see them falling cause of my scanner room.
    I've personally had stalker teeth sink into the ground and keep on going. I see them falling cause of my scanner room.

Maybe that's what happened to my piles of scrap and stalker teeth. I wasn't around to see what happened to them, I just know they were gone when I returned. Have you seen the "sinking teeth" since the 1.0 release?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @StoneE4 Could there have been any updates when you had the piles? I remember a dev saying stuff sitting out would be removed.
    @narfblat - No, unless there's been an update to the stable version since the 1.0 release. This happened about a week ago.