[Question] Story progression

ShadoxShadox France Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235990Members
To new players , This topic may contains unmarked spoilers, players new to the game would want to avoid it.

Hello , i open this topic because after around 150 day (IG time) , the story don't move , i mean , i have the lunchpad crafting recipe , but i never visit things like inactive lava zone or lava lake , despite "This particular biome plays a major role in the story of Subnautica." as wiki said.

So what , did i miss something ? or skip something ? Did something will "unlock" when attempting to create lunchpad ?

Also i still have the disease , so i can't disable the big weapon so even if i can create lunchpad , i can't leave the planet without being destroyed IMO.

Know i don't want to finish the game now , i've still some place to discover and things to build , but i'l like stuck in story since around 70 days (IGT).

Or maybe someone have a list of story quest stage ?

Sorry for my english , feel free to ask me any questions for help you to understand where i am in the story atm.

EDIT : Btw i've visit all coordinates given by the radio of cours , and taken every PDA i've encounter since the first day.
Also if it can help , i have 8 radio coordinate displayed in my beacon list (double checked them twice) , maybe it can help you to know "where" i am.

Comments

• IntotheVoidIntotheVoid Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236221Members
    Well, i think i'm in the same point in the story.
    I have a data bank entry about alien bases. It gives a rough description about where it could be. The one i probably need to visit to progress the story. That's what i'm exploring now.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    Make sure you read in the Codes and Hints section of your PDA not all locations blatantly give coordinates. Also the reason you haven't been able to progress the story is because you haven't gone to the locations that trigger progress- mainly locations that are deep underwater.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Lava Zone.

Go past the ILZ to the active LZ, and you'll find... somthing important.

Trying not to spoil is hard lmao.
  • ShadoxShadox France Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235990Members
    edited January 2018
    DarthOmnis wrote: »
    Make sure you read in the Codes and Hints section of your PDA not all locations blatantly give coordinates. Also the reason you haven't been able to progress the story is because you haven't gone to the locations that trigger progress- mainly locations that are deep underwater.

Thanks you ! i'll check out now , also i've found some Nickel for go deeper with my PRAWN , next step is crystal sulfur , and exploring inactive laza zone , even if i would like make ion cell for cyclop and PRAWN for be safe about energy (but i think recipe are in a lava zone).

Ok so Lifepod 4 , 6 and 7 didnt have marker and have a section in hint & code , i'll visit them (in the case or i didnt visit yet) , but after that , i've only document about aurora password , and 1 with Alien structure (disease lab and thermal plant) , i think disease lab is the one with the ray on a wall ? ad the thermal should be the structure in lava (or inactive lava) zone , i didnt visit this one yet (now i can with cyclops/prawn upgrade).

So yeah , go to these 3 lifepod , then go to IZL for me , thanks , if never you have any interestings tips for me i would like to know them ^^.

EDIT : Ok so visited these 3 lifepod , found a PDA in each but nothing important about the main questline.

So yeah , my plan : go to ILZ and LZ , found some Kyanite , go back craft deep module and go down again , also i'll take purple tablet and some ion cube , i've read these can be usefull...
  • SadPandaaSadPandaa United States Join Date: 2017-07-13 Member: 231807Members
    I have the same problem, I have played through this probably 5 times last year and the progression triggers led me to everything with the clues. Now I have nothing telling me about the first precursor base after the defense tower, normally gave you a cardinal direction and depth in an on screen radio transmission but I did not get that in the release version. If I didnt know where to go I would be totally lost.
    Does scanning yourself at different stages of infection have any progression trigger tied to it?
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited January 2018
    SadPandaa wrote: »
    Does scanning yourself at different stages of infection have any progression trigger tied to it?
    In the sense that scans will give different results depending on how far along you are; yes. The opposite isn't true as far as I'm aware, though.

Signal beacons for the precursor bases have been removed; replaced with datalog and directional hints. Your starting points for progressing past radio beacons is A.) The 500m degasi base, and B.) the sunk-deep lifepod near the blood kelp forest. Searching from either of those as a starting point should lead you further on.
    Ok so what i've do since i was stuck , i've found nickel in lost river for go below 900 , in inactive lava zone , i've found kyanite (note sure about english name) , for go below 1300 , i've found Alien thermal plant and Primary Containment Facility , then now i need to craft something for a quest , so yeah i'm unlock.

Thanks
    Jarin wrote: »
    In the sense that scans will give different results depending on how far along you are; yes. The opposite isn't true as far as I'm aware, though.

Signal beacons for the precursor bases have been removed; replaced with datalog and directional hints. Your starting points for progressing past radio beacons is A.) The 500m degasi base, and B.) the sunk-deep lifepod near the blood kelp forest. Searching from either of those as a starting point should lead you further on.

Good info, they should really highlight those two in the database/log somehow to show they are important. Like I said I know where I need to be going but for first timers I can see it being like hitting a wall when your getting radio calls every 15 minutes and then all just stops. You are then left trying to remember when you got what notification and you need to read everything a few times trying to remember what you have done and what you forgot to do.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    edited February 2018
    The only hint I've found in the Release version is Paul Torgal's Log #3 in their 500m base. It's after the attack on the base and says something about maybe seeing a light down below. When you search around below the base you'll find one of the entrances to the Lost River.

Yeah, it's a pretty subtle hint and easily overlooked.

Maybe whatever critter attacked the base should have accidentally snagged a beacon and dragged it down into the depths before shaking it off, that could give the player a better hint of where to head next.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    A better option might be to have signals to the precursor bases added to the PDA after visiting the gun facility. That would help guide the player to the next part of the story and let them know that there is something deep down below so they'll be actively searching for a way to get down there. When near one of the entrances, maybe the PDA can say something about this being a cave that goes much deeper.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    A better option might be to have signals to the precursor bases added to the PDA after visiting the gun facility. That would help guide the player to the next part of the story and let them know that there is something deep down below so they'll be actively searching for a way to get down there. When near one of the entrances, maybe the PDA can say something about this being a cave that goes much deeper.

Personally, I'm more for the PDA giving an audio cue rather than a direct waypoint. Part of the appeal of this game is the sense of wonder and exploration. I feel it would get dull really quickly if every interesting point had a waypoint. Plus that would defeat the purpose of the beacons.
    How was i supposed to find the alien thermal plant? Only clues i had were: volcanic area, 1200m deep. Did i miss any other clue?
    I did find an alien structure but it was unrelated. Frustrated as hell i had to google the location.
  • dakx877dakx877 Serbija Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236464Members
    Why wuld waypoints ruin beacons?It wuld be nice to know where you need to go!I had to google whole game how to get here,how to get there!!!The game lack map and directions,the pda can tell you something like detecting faint beacon in the area or something like that!Someone love to explore,someone dont have time for that and wuld like somekind directions where to go next what to do next!It wuld be nice to to have that things!!!
    edited February 2018
    How was i supposed to find the alien thermal plant? Only clues i had were: volcanic area, 1200m deep. Did i miss any other clue?
    I did find an alien structure but it was unrelated. Frustrated as hell i had to google the location.

Once you make it to the lost river, there is only like one fork in the road. Other than that just follow the path as deep as it goes. Player just needs a better notification of when to start going deep.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Around the lava castle, we need another breadcrumb. They could have the pda mention tech nearby as the player nears the lava castle.
    edited February 2018

Once you make it to the lost river, there is only like one fork in the road. Other than that just follow the path as deep as it goes. Player just needs a better notification of when to start going deep.

I followed the path and found the containment facility instead of the thermal plant.

narfblat wrote: »
    Around the lava castle, we need another breadcrumb. They could have the pda mention tech nearby as the player nears the lava castle.

I think those alien metalic tendrils coming out of the lava castle would be enough. I prefer something visual instead of text or voice over.
  • HopeTheSpaceTyrantHopeTheSpaceTyrant Join Date: 2017-06-29 Member: 231466Members
    best way to do story in this game I swear is just to wander around look at everything and if you get run off swallow your fear and go back because you always missed something.
  • ltorionltorion United States Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236698Members
    Same boat as the op. New to the game on about day 160 or so in game but I have no idea what to go or do, radio is dead air. Last radio call I got was from the lifepod at about 300 meter. that sent me to the egassi base in the shroom caves, (which I had found and looted before.) so I went back and found a new data pad that wasnt active the last time I was there. That sent me back to the floating Island which I had already been to earlier as well. Again a new PDA was there. Failed Rendezvous I think it was. Now I am stuck again. Any tips?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Just assume that there is something new and important in every new area of depth.
    You have not been deepest if the only thing which can be there is a max depth prawn.

Good luck exploring :)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @ltorion Try searching the jellyshroom caves again, I thought there was a pda leading to the next place. From there though, it's a matter of following hints and going deeper.
    edited February 2018
    So basicly , do every radio message you have (with radar icon or with clue (for location without radar icon you should check in the PDA)) , each time you reach a location seek for lost PDA (in the case or they are needed).

After all location found (and taking PDA in it for be sure) , make a cyclop (500 base) if its not the case yet (and/or PRAWN for 900base),

-You should be able to go to max 500 by defaut and seek for Ruby in several location
    -With ruby upgrades you'll be able to go to 900 with cyclops and seamoth and seek for Nickel in Lost River (550-1000)
    -With Nickel upgrades you'll be able to go 1300 with PRAWN and cyclops and seek for Kyanite in Inactive Lava Zone (900-1300)
    -With Kyanite upgrades you'll be able to go to 1700 and reach Lava lake (1300-1700)

Then now seek for important locations.

Tips , try to have some Ion cube and Tablet as possible in your inventory or vehicle (for avoid be forced to go back home in you find something asking for them).

Tip 2 : For PRAWN scan big fragment in Aurora (25% each =4 frag) , cuz if you seek for PRAWN frag in the game (outside aurora) , they only give 5% per piece , so 20 pieces needed..)

Use different color for radar icon , for exemple me :
    -Red = Bases/Vehicles (always ON except lifepod 5))
    -Orange = Portals beacon (always OFF unless i need use it)
    -Yellow = Radio location cleared (take loot+PDA , always OFF since them aren't useful after clear)
    -Blue = Biomes beacon + radio location i didnt clear yet (biomes always OFF unless need travel / Radio always ON until i've clear them all.
    -Teal , i think i didn't use it.

Thinks to scan yourself after some time , in the case or it was needed for a PDA entries, but not sure it unlock something in the story (except entries).

Sorry for my english.