Purpose for collecting plants and fish

MordracMordrac Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228012Members
(I'm sorry if this has already been suggested, I did not look through much of the forum first)

One of the main things I enjoy at the moment is collecting samples and eggs in order to put them into my base. Use of this is limited so far. Alright, we can grow lantern trees and potatoes inside and breed some sort of fish for food. But almost everything else is just for decoration, or the simple goal of collecting. Gotta catch them all!

What I think could be interesting is to have an actual benefit from it (other than bioreactor). Either by giving most fish and plant food option and/or obtainable ressource as seems somewhat logical, or by adding an objective for the cure which consists of collecting different species of fauna and flora and analyzing their symptoms when exposed to the bacterium. (Or both of these things)

Of course it wouldn't make sense with each and every species to have a purpose in a fish tank or a growbed, some of them will have a purpose only in the wilderness (like the crashfish). But I think if we're going to breed stalkers we should have the possibility to eat them or collect teeth now and then.

It would make the search for new species more interesting, and give some motivation to build a proper "research lab" :smiley:

Comments

• WillemVWillemV Dallas, TX Join Date: 2017-05-24 Member: 230737Members
    The first thing I intuitively did when I hatched my first stalkers in the tank was to drop in wreckage, with the expectation that it would initiate the Stalkers dropping teeth over time. Needless to say, wreckage can't be dropped in the tank.

Likewise, I had kind of expected crash fish to make a nest and fill it with sulfur. Nada on that, too.

I do like the idea of purpose to the tank, other than serving as a hatchery and large aquarium (and somewhat of a safe scanning environment).

Cheers!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You'd need an armory or fireworks storage bunker for them crash fish though :D
  • MordracMordrac Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228012Members
    In the tank they should be friendly :tongue: unless you piss them off I guess. And then they go ham and blow up the whole multipurpose room. And your base gets flooded. You know what, this would be a nice feature! Crashfish explode in the tank and rupture the base. Poor unsuspecting players won't know how much trouble they'll cause themselves by collecting all those crashfish eggs :smiley:
  • angeluscaligoangeluscaligo Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236483Members
    Cudo's to this idea! The Containment Tanks should have this functional option indeed - dropping a single piece of wreckage as a "decoration" for the Stalkers to play with and to find Crashfish building nests in Sulfur Plants that grow on the bottom of the Tank :D

Perhaps also be able to "plant" Treeleeches and see them develop after a time into small Floaters that remain fixed to the ground untill you harvest them ^^

Other small updates to this could include the development of Bloodroots when you plant only 1 or 2 Bloodvines and leave the other planter-locations open.

Similarly for Creepvine with seedclusters to "spread" and form seedless Creepvine in open spots.

Sulfur Plants should drop seeds when you cut them with a knife or when they explode due to the Crash Fish.
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    guys you played too much ark ^_^
    yes i agree, this game needs plenty more stuff, but rmember what you told me ? small devs group and small resources blabla?
    its final realeased, they wont change such major things now.
    well eventually see such features in a second underwater title or, hopefully, in the mod section.
  • MissMarifireMissMarifire Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236889Members
    Alright, but you guys are forgetting a very important thing that we could have:

Pet fish. Or at least, more pet fish besides the Cuddlefish that have more utility. Fish that you've raised won't attack you- they'll protect and help you.

Imagine driving around your Seamoth or Cyclops with a big shoal of Bonefish or something hanging out nearby to protect you and your stuff- or some mighty battles between you and your Crashfish crowd versus a Reaper Leviathan or two. Or even some pet Stalkers, scavenging around to find any rare resources you might've missed.

Of course, this would come with a cost, and why it'd be relevant to the thread. After having fed them and kept them around for so long, they'll grow friendly. Maybe we could even get some Cuddlefish-esque interactions?