VR HUD suggestions

aasubaasub Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224792Members
hi :)

would like to add my suggestions, do with it what you will.

i think it would be nice to be able to have the option to remove the reticle. it is very much in your face in between your eyes, so it looks like there are two of them unless you strain to focus on it but then you're not focusing on what is behind it or any of the other things that might be around. it is also very large.

it would be nice to be able to have the PDA be farther away from your face, as it is currently it feels like it's less than a foot away from your face. in reality i only bring something that close to my face if i'm seriously studying or some such. this makes it hard to focus on and kind of breaks the immersion.

it would also be nice to be able to set the size of the icons showing you where items are such as cyclops, seamoth, buoys, etc as currently they are so large they can pretty much fill the whole screen, the icon for the cyclops will completely cover the cyclops even when you are in range of viewing it. it breaks immersion. also an option to disable them completely would be nice.

i do enjoy having as much of the screen as possible be used for viewing the environment instead of being used for HUD elements, however i must mention that is is impossible to see your health status and very difficult to see your O2 status currently. perhaps make them smaller and in view.

maybe an option to scale all ui elements?

thanks for your time if you're reading this.

have a good day :)

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The closest task I see is about vr/xbox font size on the PDA. Hopefully, they will evaluate the PDA distance at the same time.
  • damonbernddamonbernd USA Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222423Members
    I have been playing Subnautica for a while now but I have just recently began to use the VR option. I am running a Gear VR on a S8 using vriddge to host SteamVR and any feedback or direction for tweaking the setup of Steam VR and/or Vridge would be greatly appreciated.

During my limited hours of VR play (about 3), I have noticed some of the same things that aasub has mentioned.

HUD
    The HUD is very difficult to see fully. It is too far to the edges of the view area. - in the case of VR i think it really should feel more like a HUD. The objects - health, O2, direction, quick bar - should be moved toward the center of the view. Maybe a key to bring up the HUD and a fade out time - or make them somewhat translucent in VR mode.

Seaglide
    I find it near impossible to tell where you are going using the Seaglide. It looks like it is being held directly out in front of yourself. You can see the exit of the jet which would, in reality, push a whole lot of water in your face. I think it would be held more below you with your arms more down than forward. This would allow you to see past it (and know where you are heading) and then look down at the unit to see battery status etc.

Fabricator
    When you use the fabricator in VR, one needs to look at the icon and then click to activate each level of menus. This means looking more to the right for each menu. After creating something the fabricator pop up resets to put the first menu at your gaze meaning that if you want to create something else you will have to move you gaze more to the right to get to the object you want to create (all menus are still open to the level of last creation). If you want to create a bunch of things you would be turning in a circle. A work around I have found is to decidedly look down to the left during the actual creation of an object so that the menus will pop up in more or less in the same position for the next build, but then you are looking back and forth.
    Note: During the time you are 'using' the fabricator the mouse will not function to rotate your body.
    I think an easy solution for this is to lock the pop up for the fabricator once it is opened in VR mode.

PDA
    I do not disagree here with aasub but it is usable. It does take a bit longer to move things having to look at the object and then click - again mouse is disabled here - I think if the mouse became active as a pointer in any PDA/inventory screens (maybe fabricators as well) it would greatly improve functionality.
    I know this next bit is unrelated to this thread but as a designer I fell I need to mention it - I really dislike the new look of objects in the inventory screens. The blue box not only takes away from the design of the objects themselves it also makes items less easily distinguishable (making them all look similar)

Overall the experience is wonderful. The added depth and distance gives the game a whole new feel and makes it a bit more challenging.

• damonbernddamonbernd USA Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222423Members
    Just got a seamoth.. and boy does it feel roomy in here... the VR height/width ratio is off when inside... I can figure that you want to allow for as much 'outside' view as possible but it feels bulbous
  • aasubaasub Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224792Members
  • DredDred Join Date: 2017-10-10 Member: 233493Members
    Hi Dev team, any updates on giving PDA view distance options in VR? the pda is still hard to read/uncomfortable.