Procedurally Generated Multiplayer Sequel?

Gman_Plays_GamesGman_Plays_Games Washington Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214401Members
OK, so I just read the "multiplayer not happening in subnautica" thread that was posted and that makes total sense. I'm thinking though that maybe if the devs want to a whole 'nother game with co-op play and randomly generated maps could be cool, i'd definitely buy that. maybe the setting could be you are a crew of explorers coming to investigate the planet for a potential ettlement now that the gun has been disabled and a cure found for the karar infection. we could start off landing on one of the islands and descend into the sea to gather rexources to build an outpost and start a colony, perhaps over time you could build landing pads and NPC colonists could show up and give special perks or something. i dob't now much about the coding side of things but the mechanics of the game they currently have with a co-op element added in with progression mechanics added in to incentivise building bigger and better bases with some new creatures and secrets to discover could be fun. maybe there could also be a faction system with competing groups all vying for space on the planet?

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Procedural generation? Multiplayer? Perks and "faction systems"?

This is basically taking everything that's great about subnautica and throwing it out the window.
  • Gman_Plays_GamesGman_Plays_Games Washington Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214401Members
    what i'm saying is keep everything that's already there, then add new things to make the multiplayer interesting.
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    I don't know how procedural maps would 'throw it out the window'?

The RPG elements, yeah I don't want that.

Really I just want co-op play. Maybe same planet but different hemisphere. So a lot of the same flora and fauna but also new stuff. And limited player co-op and some new vehicles and that's all most people would want.
  • turtlefrogturtlefrog Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235346Members
    edited January 2018
    Procedural generation? Multiplayer? Perks and "faction systems"?

This is basically taking everything that's great about subnautica and throwing it out the window.

100 % agreed. I never liked procedural generations, because they just cant compete with carefully crafted areas , done by skilled level designer. Look at the starting area and how well all the level geometry is finetuned to the exploration and gameplay aspects of this game. You just cant get somthing like that with procedural generated content . Finding out what makes areas/levels interesting gameplaywise and translating that into math and algorithms is something which is probably at least as complex as the whole hardware architecture of our coumputers all together. Because you must find out first the criterias of why level aspect x,y is interesting or fun to engage for us in our brain. Thats basicaly answering the question of why do we like the things we like in a form which can be used and processed by algorithms like a ruleset build out of mathematical proofs and equation(s) . We dont know any of that yet. Why do we as humans like the look of trees and grass so much? Is it because our ancestors got hardcoded by evolution into their brains that they have to like the environment they are most suited for, or is it just a coincidence, we just dont know. And its also not clear if we can find that out by just looking at our brains as they are now and comparing it to the brain of a monkey. Or if we had to build a time machine and travel back to watch millions of years of this specific part of the evolution in our brain live on our planet to map it out in the brains of those creatures.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    One of the ideas floated early on was to provide small-sized prefab areas (with "transition areas" at the edges) that could be stitched together in a random fashion each game. This would have provided the same detail that we see in the current game, but renews the exploration aspect each game. It also would allow new blocks to be added over time (as 3rd party mods, additional content, etc).

P.S. I'd expect blocks to be around 200m across.
  • angeluscaligoangeluscaligo Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236483Members
    They tried procedurally generated areas, but they just didn't stand up to the level of gameplay and exploration the dev's wished to implement into the game - hence the choice to manually craft the entire playable area. Maybe - and this would be the better choice of them all, they could release a small biome-generator tool that let's you procedurally generate terrain and manually adjust/decorate it. And then you could upload it for user-review and later on, when approved with a 70% positive voting, it could be released into the main-game as a random destination for some portal that has no fixed destination.

So you would find this portal, the PDA wanrs you that it is mallfunctioning and does not have a manual setting to decide its destination - meaning it would warp you to a different user-submitted mini-world every time you use it.