Okey so farming...

HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
As in plants and stuff is just good for the bioreactor now and not much else. Got it.

I mean yeah you can eat them but it's about as good as eating raw fish and since I can unlock the mod station for the thermal blade fairly early and we get twice as much water from bleach now, there really isn't a point, is there? Even for the bioreactor, if you still use one at the end of the game, an aquarium full of peepers is much better for energy than any plant.

It's fine and all, doesn't make the game any harder. Not sure why they would disable something they worked so hard to develop in the process. It's really just cosmetic, now. An aesthetic you have to spend a little extra time on.
Ah well.

Comments

• KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Outdoor grow beds are still good for creep vines & seeds. Handy when they're right at your doorstep instead of having to travel to the kelp forest when you run out.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    edited January 2018
    Not to mention acid mushrooms, deep mushrooms, gel sacks, and blood kelp, all of which can be grown and harvested right in your backyard.
  • ShadoxShadox France Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235990Members
    Me i use bulbo almost everywhere (bases and cyclop) , i've put 3 water purifier and i've a triple big aqua full of reginald but..i still use bulbo for the most part...

I've planed a garden (indoor and outdoor) but mostly for the cosmetic part.

Sorry for my english.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    JimboJambo wrote: »
    Maybe it's a matter of personal preference, because I eat almost nothing but marblemelons when I'm at home, even after the nerf. I even have a planter box in my cyclops! The amount of nutrition per melon is low, but it's a one-stop shop for both food and water, and you don't have to chase or craft anything -- just pick, pick, pick, cut.

This. I keep an indoor growbed in my base and one in the clops. When you hit 20% water, if you eat 6 and then cut 2 for seeds and replant the 2 rows you end up full on food and water and the growbed is full. And you'll never run out. So farming useless except for bioreactor? Um... no. That's flat-out incorrect.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    I use Marblemelon grown in Plant Pots as they're more convenient to place, along with some Chinese Potato and a Lantern Tree (last mostly for topping off water).
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    Shadox wrote: »
    Me i use bulbo almost everywhere (bases and cyclop) , i've put 3 water purifier and i've a triple big aqua full of reginald but..i still use bulbo for the most part...

I've planed a garden (indoor and outdoor) but mostly for the cosmetic part.

Sorry for my english.

That's a lot of water...
  • IgnoreSandraIgnoreSandra Join Date: 2018-01-26 Member: 235868Members
    Honestly, the big improvement to eating plants is I no longer seem to suffer blood loss when I eat the same thing seven times in a row. Plus, there's no effort to eating plants - they sit there, ready to eat, with no effort to catch em. If you're just returning from a long journey, that can be rather nice. Plus they don't need a multipurpose room, or the alien containment tech - which takes a bit to acquire in my experience.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    i love how people complain about anything and everything lol

If there wasnt any plants people would complain theres nothing else to eat in this game but fish :pensive:
    i personally use the fruits // plants alot in every game i create. Granted, a Alien containment full of reginalds can efficiently cover all your needs but doing that only isnt much fun.
    Its all about diversity, the more options the better plus alot of people (me included) love the cosmetic visuals of beautiful glowing plants outside/inside their bases.

Also, i dont use the cyclops alot but when i do im happy theres a few planters in there with the fruits to sustain me on long trips (i mainly put bulbo trees in there for the water and potatoes for food)
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    blood oil is a great fuel for the bioreactor. and and you can easily spread planters full of melons over your base. and also use them as fuel if you need to great for building small outposts. since you can put a bioreactor a water filter some lockers and planters into a single 1 room habitat everything you need to survive in any area.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Oh the exterior bed is very useful yes, I agree. But the interior stuff is really pointless.

Yes you can do it but I have no idea why and honestly it seems pretty stupid to bother. It used to be a convenient alternative when you could fill up with a few fruits or melons but now you have to eat them all and replant them all every time and that seems like a waste.

Especially since we unlock the mod station so early, and it comes with the thermal blade which is very easy to make. The ocean is literally full of instant food now, and even the worst of the fish is still at least twice as effective as the best of the plants, and since it's on-the-go you don't have to worry about spoiling.

And now that we get two water bottles from bleach, water isn't an issue at all anymore. Basically you can get two +30 bottles for each salt deposit you find, and salt is everywhere. Get the water filtration machine, which is easy, and you water is fixed forever.

Literally the only practical use for plants is easily replenishable energy. One lantern tree can keep a bioreactor going indefinitely with very little maintenance and doesn't even take up much space. But having a separate room for multiple pots and a large interior growbed is a complete waste now. And to be honest, you could just as easily run a bioreactor off an exterior growbed by using, well, anything, so you don't need any interior plants at all and using them is just extra work.

Given the space they take up, the fact that you have to constantly replant them, and you can't take them with you except to turn part of your cyclops into a small jungle so you can stuff eight watermelons down your throat to fill your stomach, all for something you can instantly supplant with a thermal blade that you can unlock very early game.

It seems really stupid to bother with anything other than the external growbeds.
  • UnrealInstinct8UnrealInstinct8 U.S.A Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203335Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    Oh the exterior bed is very useful yes, I agree. But the interior stuff is really pointless.

Yes you can do it but I have no idea why and honestly it seems pretty stupid to bother. It used to be a convenient alternative when you could fill up with a few fruits or melons but now you have to eat them all and replant them all every time and that seems like a waste.

Especially since we unlock the mod station so early, and it comes with the thermal blade which is very easy to make. The ocean is literally full of instant food now, and even the worst of the fish is still at least twice as effective as the best of the plants, and since it's on-the-go you don't have to worry about spoiling.

And now that we get two water bottles from bleach, water isn't an issue at all anymore. Basically you can get two +30 bottles for each salt deposit you find, and salt is everywhere. Get the water filtration machine, which is easy, and you water is fixed forever.

Literally the only practical use for plants is easily replenishable energy. One lantern tree can keep a bioreactor going indefinitely with very little maintenance and doesn't even take up much space. But having a separate room for multiple pots and a large interior growbed is a complete waste now. And to be honest, you could just as easily run a bioreactor off an exterior growbed by using, well, anything, so you don't need any interior plants at all and using them is just extra work.

Given the space they take up, the fact that you have to constantly replant them, and you can't take them with you except to turn part of your cyclops into a small jungle so you can stuff eight watermelons down your throat to fill your stomach, all for something you can instantly supplant with a thermal blade that you can unlock very early game.

It seems really stupid to bother with anything other than the external growbeds.

I understand your stance for the water and such but i don't see whats wrong with indoor growbeds. I have one in my cyclops and it makes it easy when i'm crafting etc. and i don't have to leave and go catch fish even with the thermal blade. You don't have to have a large growbed which does take up a decent amount of space. You can use pots which in my opinion take up less space but you can spread them out. I feel that going around looking for fish will take more time than just growing food in your cyclops or base which just seem more convenient. For the bioreactor the indoor growbeds can be helpful for convenience because you can grow a decent amount of vegetation in a grow bed which you can use to power a bioreactor or two. and you dnit have to go outside and get the vegetation which is less convenient.
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    edited January 2018
    "I found alternatives I like better, so i am declaring your way to play stupid. Oh boy thermal blade!"

That's nice, I'm still having fun with plants and fish, thanks.