Ending. Enter if you've seen it.

FearXIFearXI Join Date: 2017-08-21 Member: 232529Members
I made this comment in another thread but I started thinking I'd like to make it into a topic.
I'd like to hear others ideas on the ending if you have any.

For me with the ending.
Even though the computer told us we owed money and everything it got me wondering.
Did we really survive?

Think about it we get the Sea Emperor talking about in a sense death.
She says "Now you go among the stars, and I fall among the sands. We are different. But we go... together."

If you read it in it's literal form we died on the trip home but our ship made it to earth.
Perhaps to share the bacteria with earth?
Remember we only saw a black screen. And the Sea Emperor appeared as if afterlife-ish.

Comments

• vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    It also makes the same parallel between the player vs. itself and a beginning vs. an end. It is the end of the sea emperor, maybe the beginning of our in-game avatar ? (in its career as a multi-sequel success game hero ? :) )
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    edited January 2018
    We know that ns2 and sn are in the same universe but not much details on it so im sure when the expansion is out (if it does) we can learn more about it
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YES Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Members
    I think that she was saying about leaving the planet.
  • FearXIFearXI Join Date: 2017-08-21 Member: 232529Members
    Amadeone wrote: »
    I think that she was saying about leaving the planet.

Perhaps. But I maybe reading to much into it but I like to explore hidden meanings that "may" be there doesn't mean they are but fun nonetheless.
    Just at the hatching part she says that is her end and she (part of speech) "may come back as a creature so small that it sees the gaps between the grains of sand".
    And that last line at the end "But we go... together." just rings that we died to me.

Think of it all from the hatching part to her last conversation with us.

I'm all for a happy ending with a big bill (sounds dirty but not what I mean).
    But if you think about it if we died and Alterra finds our body it's a good jumping off point to make a new game / expansion.
    They find our body and send a team to find out what happened (presume our recorded data was lost some how).
    Heck you could even tie in the Arctic biome for the (heh) only survivor of the research team has to go there because of some signal picked up.

Side note.
    When we flew over the planet and saw the Arctic land mass would have been funny so see blackened wreckage spelling out SOS.
    FearXI wrote: »
    When we flew over the planet and saw the Arctic land mass would have been funny so see blackened wreckage spelling out SOS.

Since seeing the cinematic trailer, I would love to find the Degasi crash site. The crew are supposed to have recycled the ship to build their seabases (although it's not clear to me whether they completely reclaimed it, or only enough to make it impossible to use it as a ship) but I would hope there is still stuff to be found.
  • RyuujinZERORyuujinZERO Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235999Members
    edited January 2018
    Even though the computer told us we owed money and everything it got me wondering.
    Did we really survive?
    Pretty sure we did. The Sea Emperor (Empress?) is talking about the parallels and differences between you both, and ends on the note that you both "leave together" albeit in very different ways. You by escape, her by death.

More importantly though, we now know Subnautica is the prelude to Natural Selection, originally it was only hinted at but in the launch version they went ahead and renamed the bacteria causing the genetic mutations to "Kharaa" (Google it, it won't let me post links yet) so you probably got home; and then became patient zero in the outbreak ;)

My headcanon is that on being told I couldn't land for the lack of funds, I'd ask them to put me through to Alterra and reveal the unlimited energy supply I found on that planet, in exchange for a small percentage and landing rights ;)
  • TheGreatPeruTheGreatPeru United States Join Date: 2018-01-28 Member: 236021Members
    May I hereby submit a suggestion for an official name for the Sea Empress? I think "Kathryn" after capt. Kathryn Janeway is fitting
  • FearXIFearXI Join Date: 2017-08-21 Member: 232529Members
    Did we really survive?
    Pretty sure we did. The Sea Emperor (Empress?) is talking about the parallels and differences between you both, and ends on the note that you both "leave together" albeit in very different ways. You by escape, her by death.

More importantly though, we now know Subnautica is the prelude to Natural Selection, originally it was only hinted at but in the launch version they went ahead and renamed the bacteria causing the genetic mutations to "Kharaa" (Google it, it won't let me post links yet) so you probably got home; and then became patient zero in the outbreak ;)

My headcanon is that on being told I couldn't land for the lack of funds, I'd ask them to put me through to Alterra and reveal the unlimited energy supply I found on that planet, in exchange for a small percentage and landing rights ;)

You make a very good point and would have to agree. I would have to say with that point of view I could say we did live.
    Even if we did die though we could have been patient zero they would have brought our body home.
    But ah it was fun to explore that we may have died a bit.

I never heard of Natural Selection till I found Subnautica but because of it I'll definitely be checking it out.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    After that ending - I know the trillion credits thing was just a joke, a callback - like... why would you WANT to leave the Planet?

You have...

a) become self sufficient.
    b) built a - possibly - massive Seabase full of research/creatures/farms that you hatched
    c) have a potential friend in the Empress - assuming you find a way to medically help/revive her
    d) don't have to answer to anyone, no Alterra capitalist scum.
    e) One or more cuddlefish!

Fuck, I'd stay there and just be the hermit scientist type!
  • Sky_The_FoxSky_The_Fox Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233065Members
    xzbzc2d1e6a0.jpg
    Honestly, This explains what I'd do.
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    I would assume you are alive and well. I would agree that the Sea Emperor merely referred to leaving as an analogy of how both escaped their prison.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    I would assume you are alive and well. I would agree that the Sea Emperor merely referred to leaving as an analogy of how both escaped their prison.

I guess that makes the most sense as both the emporer and the player escaped the prison (the player's prison was the planet) but each one of them escaped in a different way
  • GDragonGDragon Moscow Join Date: 2015-08-17 Member: 207232Members
    Remember we only saw a black screen.
    Spoiler alert!
    "not a black screen screenshot."
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    In the end and after 200 hours o f Subnautica over two and a half years, I fear that I am through with Subnautica. I do not know if anybody feels that way, but I do not want to come back, since I now experienced everything the game has had to offer and I found a satsifying conclusion to the narrative.

I do wonder how I would feel about a DLC, if I would come back and play it if it was more a side-track to the story. I recall Pillars of Eternity did something with their add-on that you were supposed to do while doing the main quest and I have not touched it. If we'd get a Arctic biome, for me to play it, it would need to be a new story of my character that I can either after the launch of the rocket, or just before I leave. Or it could tell the story of a new protagonist. I do not know if I am alone with that feeling though.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I want to see if I can successfully speed-run it without cheating and deactivate the precursor gun before the Sunbeam arrives.

And it's always a good game to dick around in - I've spent hours just doing stuff that really didn't have a point over the last few years. Not gonna stop now.

Also I really REALLY want to get Occulus Rift... tried it at a friend's house with Subnautica, and it's freaking amazing. Really feels like you're there on the planet, and everything seems bigger. Think the reaper is terrifying now? Try seeing that bad boy in VR.
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    edited January 2018
    funny thing i purposefully didn't repair the radio until after the gun was off and got a message from the sunbeam that they cant land because of orbital debris.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    ADM_Ntek wrote: »
    funny thing i purposefully didn't repair the radio until after the gun was off and got a message from the sunbeam that they cant land because of orbital debris.

Really? Lame. I was hoping you could actually get rescued by Sunbeam if you moved quick enough.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    vpelletier wrote: »

Since seeing the cinematic trailer, I would love to find the Degasi crash site. The crew are supposed to have recycled the ship to build their seabases (although it's not clear to me whether they completely reclaimed it, or only enough to make it impossible to use it as a ship) but I would hope there is still stuff to be found.

They used every last nut and bolt, every little atom of that ship is now in the bases, nothing left
  • ADM_NtekADM_Ntek Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214456Members
    i would like to find the base from the trailer it looked like it was close to the surface but both bases are much deeper.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    i would like to find the base from the trailer it looked like it was close to the surface but both bases are much deeper.

judging by the trailer, looks like it was squashed by the aurora
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

judging by the trailer, looks like it was squashed by the aurora

That was my guess.
    They used every last nut and bolt, every little atom of that ship is now in the bases, nothing left

I was thinking about some marks on the seabed. As they could salvage stuff, I assume they did not crash in a very deep location. Also, there are plenty of bits we cannot salvage from the aurora (boxes, ...) so I was also assuming these could maybe not be reusable. Anyway, there is always the possible explanation that the aurora slammed over it, here too.
    vpelletier wrote: »

I was thinking about some marks on the seabed. As they could salvage stuff, I assume they did not crash in a very deep location. Also, there are plenty of bits we cannot salvage from the aurora (boxes, ...) so I was also assuming these could maybe not be reusable. Anyway, there is always the possible explanation that the aurora slammed over it, here too.

Keep in mind, its been a decade, any trace of the Degasi ship after salvaging will likely have ceased, also, about the cargo crates, guess what you can find at every single Degasi base,
    CRATES
  • TekFanTekFan Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236334Members
    I don't think that our character is dead. Alterras assistant PDA can synthesize new Blueprints for Ion Batteries and Power Cells from alien data, translate unknown languages on a whim and write new data-entries for lifeforms you just scanned, all this while silently summing up the money you'd have to pay Alterra. With all this I think the devs would have put in some other joke like "The cost of your funeral will be added to your outstanding balance and sent to your next of kin along with condolenses. Disclaimer: Condolenses sold seperately."

If anything the ending left me pretty bummed out. Saying good bye to the cuddlefish and then: A cinematic flight into orbit, a lightshow and a speech from the Sea Emperor, followed by credits and a "PDA-joke".
    After the perfect atmosphere in the game and the mostly well balanced survival aspects, the ending feels like an impressive fireworks display which ends with a small rocket that just makes a short "Pfrt..." and then just burns away.
    TekFan wrote: »
    I don't think that our character is dead. Alterras assistant PDA can synthesize new Blueprints for Ion Batteries and Power Cells from alien data, translate unknown languages on a whim and write new data-entries for lifeforms you just scanned, all this while silently summing up the money you'd have to pay Alterra. With all this I think the devs would have put in some other joke like "The cost of your funeral will be added to your outstanding balance and sent to your next of kin along with condolenses. Disclaimer: Condolenses sold seperately."

If anything the ending left me pretty bummed out. Saying good bye to the cuddlefish and then: A cinematic flight into orbit, a lightshow and a speech from the Sea Emperor, followed by credits and a "PDA-joke".
    After the perfect atmosphere in the game and the mostly well balanced survival aspects, the ending feels like an impressive fireworks display which ends with a small rocket that just makes a short "Pfrt..." and then just burns away.

still made me cry tears of joy tho
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    The thing that struck me as odd about the ending was the metal panel breaking loose inside the cockpit. Not sure if it was some reference to the panel smacking you in the beginning or if it was just there to justify the shield you had to craft for the rocket.

Seems like a kinda pointless event to happen if the player survives and the ending didn't strike me as you having died- why would the PDA remark about your outstanding balance when trying to dock if you hadn't made it there in the first place?
    pie1055 wrote: »
    The thing that struck me as odd about the ending was the metal panel breaking loose inside the cockpit. Not sure if it was some reference to the panel smacking you in the beginning or if it was just there to justify the shield you had to craft for the rocket.

Seems like a kinda pointless event to happen if the player survives and the ending didn't strike me as you having died- why would the PDA remark about your outstanding balance when trying to dock if you hadn't made it there in the first place?

I believe it really is just a throwback to the panel in the lifepod, notice how the player holds his arm up to block the panel, when it started to fly right at him, he was through this before, and this time
    he wasn't knocked out for 3 hours
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Due to the ending, it is likely that our character picked up a hitchhiker. Although, the ending is a lie. We never left. A fun thing to do is building an observatory above the rocket.