Post launch DLCs?

BFCrusaderBFCrusader Sweden Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234281Members
I've got a question for the Devs. Like the title itself asks; will the game receive DLCs/Expansion in the future? And while we're at it, will we perhaps see a sequel of some kind?

For whoever is interested, a more detailed background for the questions follows. (ALSO MINOR SPOILERS BELOW! WATCH OUT!)

A thought that comes to mind regarding DLC is that there seems to be stuff you can gather blueprints for or pick up that looks like it could be useful, especially for scientific purposes, such as microscopes and miscellaneous lab equipment. The game itself hints towards further study of the world and things in it such as fauna and flora. This leads me to believe that the more scientifically curious players may wish to do just that, research.

I will admit that performing more detailed analysis of things may not be part of the game, intriguing as the idea is, and is instead covered by the scanner tool. I mean, the lab process would most likely be a simplified one and why do that when the scanner (like a tri-corder) does it all for you.

Which is great, truly. But, speaking for myself of course, I feel that the true depth (pun intended) of the world of Subnautica can also be found in its lore and progressive encyclopedia that fills out as you discover and scan. And using a proper lab with various materials and combinations of these materials for study (such as samples from both fauna and flora) would yield deeper understanding of any possible symbiosis or other interaction between the two involved species. Another idea is to add achievements for making certain kinds of discoveries and/or numbers of them.

SPOILER!!!
Also, while I understand that the plague or whatever is going on in the game is curable without a human lab, it would be fascinating to learn whatever one can learn from one's own lab, even if only peripheral data.
SPOILERS END

On a side note, given the potential complexity of underwater bases, with several examples I've seen on pics and such with rather vast complexes, I personally fail to see the need for such grand bases. I mean, you have the scanner room and the moon-pool. With them two and one room for a generator, one for personal quarters (i.e. sleeping), one for entrance/exit/storage area in one and finally a set of chambers to make out the alien containment area, what else do you really need if you can't have a lab or several labs of different kinds? Or even labs dedicated to certain bio-spheres or whatever the different areas are called, which would give incentive to build more bases. I mean the potential within this is pretty immense if you think about it.

Although I will admit I've not played the very latest updates but I did read the patch notes and so far I have yet to see anything that covers this mysterious part of the game. So I will also admit that I could be speaking straight out of ignorance. It could simply be that I haven't played the game enough or in the right way, in that case, someone please enlighten me.

Comments

• adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    I think its best for the devs to finish 1.0 then work on an expansion later and one more thing

They already confirmed that they'll work on an expansion (check subnautica roadmap trello page)
  • BFCrusaderBFCrusader Sweden Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234281Members
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Oh without a doubt they'll expand the game. If you look at their other game Natural Selection 2, they've been updating and creating for that game since its release, which was in 2012.

Not to mention the many things that weren't able to get into v1.0, that are heavily requested by the fanbase.

It's inevitable, but it may take a while however.
    And what do you believe is the most likely to be added then, Skope?
    BFCrusader wrote: »
    And what do you believe is the most likely to be added then, Skope?

Lets just say its pretty big list man
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    It will probably take quite a while, which I'm fine with. I heard after the game is released, the devs are going to go on a Much Needed Vacation, and man do they deserve it. :]
    Right you are. Maybe they could go the Caribbean and go scuba diving ^^
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    BFCrusader wrote: »
    Right you are. Maybe they could go the Caribbean and go scuba diving ^^
    I hope they go to cenote Angelina aka the lost river irl
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    I thought Hawaii was on their travel wishlist?

Nope, nevermind, I see They are going to Mexico.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Skope wrote: »

The developers haven't said that there will be DLC so no it isn't inevitable.
  • WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
    Halios wrote: »
    Skope wrote: »

The developers haven't said that there will be DLC so no it isn't inevitable.

Technically no, but i'd say it's significant betting odds in favor of.

There's been a ton of suggestions along the way from the community that seem balanced and would only expand the game mechanic/content wise. And then there's the setting itself..an entire alien world, and thus far we've only seen a small part of it, even assuming 95% of it is nothing but water.

And then there's the other lifepods that were launched that havnt been added into the game yet..the precursor's are severely lacking in "fleshing out" for such a big part of the story, ect. There's ton's of potential, and (imo) -need- for at least 1 dedicated expansion and several significant base-game content additions before that even comes out.
  • FlubberFlubber Sweden Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235342Members
    If they dont add dlcs, the game will be a bit boring after around 60 hours. They should add building parts that uses these rare ores etc, so they are of use late game. Just saying it does get a bit boring late game. And for a survival game, id like to spend hundreds of hours into a game, building and stuff in different locations. A bit repetitive for now. Still a very great and fun game though until you hit that 60+ hour marker of gametime.
  • WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
    Flubber wrote: »
    If they dont add dlcs, the game will be a bit boring after around 60 hours. They should add building parts that uses these rare ores etc, so they are of use late game. Just saying it does get a bit boring late game. And for a survival game, id like to spend hundreds of hours into a game, building and stuff in different locations. A bit repetitive for now. Still a very great and fun game though until you hit that 60+ hour marker of gametime.

Which is why i think they should gve us at least one DLC that expands on the precursor's, and at least 3 more biome's to explore/build in (and throw in a few new base pieces/cosmetic's).
    They did say that they'll add more updates to it after the vacation and continue updating it on one of awesome crunch's livestreams with one of the devs(I think its obraxis) so i say they'll make that expansion a really great addition to the game but lets stay focused on the rocket for now
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    UWE checked in a change for DLL based modding (Steam/PC only) late December, but pulled it because it was too complicated for the 1.0 release. However, the word is that they intend to add this support post 1.0, provided the hurdles aren't insurmountable.
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    Post-Launch ROCK PUNCHER plz
    We can only dream boys until they say that its a fact
    Calarand77 wrote: »

i just read it, its sad that at one point they will leave subnautica but i guess everything that is good must come to an end
  • FlubberFlubber Sweden Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235342Members
    edited January 2018
    Well if they dont add in modding support and a randomly generated world mode. Or make it subscription based with multiplayer, so they can afford conntinue working on it, this game will be dead in 6 month after release most likely im afraid. Dont wanna sound like an a-hole but thats the reality of it.
    Only time will tell
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Flubber wrote: »
    Well if they dont add in modding support

There are already mods for the game and the devs have expressed interest in making modding more accesable. I don't know if they've succeeded at this point or if it will be a post-launch project.
  • TotsamiiTotsamii Hjccbqcrfz atlbhfwbz Join Date: 2018-01-23 Member: 235468Members
    I think there is a sense in DLS to enter a laboratory with which the protagonist will need to not just scan the entire flora and fauna but also to take samples of everything to the lab for a more thorough study of the plague. I think for a Corporation it will be important. Creatures and plants you can look at the tips in the likeness of capsules which the protagonist will take at the terminals of the aliens or with the help of radar and bait for creatures is Also possible, these data ranom. And then the game is too simple, but interesting.
    Good luck.
    PS I Think you need to fully shutdown the console in the client.
  • FredsterFredster UK Join Date: 2017-09-24 Member: 233212Members
    Honestly, I'm kinda hoping for updates as opposed to DLC. Like, in the same way Overwatch and Sub has in early access. I just think that a constant stream of new content would be way cooler then just "1.0" (with maybe the occasional bug fix) and DLC