Adjust Pre-Rendered Frames

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
edited April 2017 in Getting Started
Is there a way to skip gpu buffering? IronHorse said that setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in NVCP will in fact ADD an extra frame. I generally prefer having 1 pre-rendered with double vsync as opposed to 3 pre-rendered (which is what I assume this game uses?) with no vsync.

Comments

• meterumeteru there Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222203Members
    Strange, what does not setting it do? I doubt default value is 0 prerendered frames.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Default is 3. Apparently I was told that there was no way that was going to get reduced, due to how the engine balances its workload.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, so Vsync trillinear would be... Triple trillinear V-Sync, mught as well play the game today and check the outcome of the match tomorrow :tongue:
    Wtf does trilinear have to do with vsync?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    coolitic wrote: »
    Wtf does trilinear have to do with vsync?

I meant triple buffering, my bad
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    disable pre rendered frames in your NVCP and then set r_sync in console to 0
    Archie wrote: »
    disable pre rendered frames in your NVCP and then set r_sync in console to 0

You didn't read my post :(
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I did read your post and it does add 1 frame if you leave r_sync on default settings (that's because NS2 also has a setting to buffer its own frames independently) that's why you turn it off with r_sync 0
    isnt r_sync for vsync?
    from what i understand r_sync is how Max implemented the software equivalent for max pre-rendered he can correct me if i am wrong however it was meant to deal with input lag at the time, when you leave it at default it buffers 1 frame ahead for your GPU or what your nvidia control panel uses and it's the equivalent of AMD's Flip Queue Size, changing it in NS2 detrimentally effects it by rendering more frames in software which creates input lag, also note that this does affect rendering times which you can measure using the profile tool in console and net_stats/r_stats etc. if you disable it by setting it to r_sync 0 you'll lower your FPS but your input lag will be less, i generally recommend setting at 1 if you have terrible hardware and 0 if you have decent hardware. Some of the people who work on the game will tell you to leave it at default but they generally suck at the game and shouldn't be giving that advice away, especially if you want raw performance and or if you are trying to use Linux for GPU passthrough(i am testing NS2 with gpu passthrough and it's looking good)
    https://github.com/gnif/LookingGlass more info here.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2017
    Archie wrote: »
    from what i understand r_sync is how Max implemented the software equivalent for max pre-rendered he can correct me if i am wrong however it was meant to deal with input lag at the time, when you leave it at default it buffers 1 frame ahead for your GPU or what your nvidia control panel uses and it's the equivalent of AMD's Flip Queue Size, changing it in NS2 detrimentally effects it by rendering more frames in software which creates input lag, also note that this does affect rendering times which you can measure using the profile tool in console and net_stats/r_stats etc. if you disable it by setting it to r_sync 0 you'll lower your FPS but your input lag will be less, i generally recommend setting at 1 if you have terrible hardware and 0 if you have decent hardware. Some of the people who work on the game will tell you to leave it at default but they generally suck at the game and shouldn't be giving that advice away, especially if you want raw performance and or if you are trying to use Linux for GPU passthrough(i am testing NS2 with gpu passthrough and it's looking good)
    https://github.com/gnif/LookingGlass more info here.

Just a random note from "somebody who doesn't know what he's talking about" but r_sync isn't implemented for the OpenGL renderer. It will always try to buffer up to 1 frame with OpenGL.
    coolitic wrote: »
    isnt r_sync for vsync?

r_sync has nothing to do with vsync and indeed allows you to set the maximum amount of pre-render frames that may get buffered. Use -1 to enable a unlimited buffer. Buffering additional pre-rendered frames may be helpful if you use multiple gpus. But for ns2 I wouldn't really increase it beyond 3 and if your gpu is fast enough setting it to 0 can indeed decrease your input delay. The default for r_sync is 1 frame or the number of detected sli gpus.
    Uhh, @IronHorse didnt you say the game defaults to 3 pre-rendered frames? And that modifying it via NVCP will just add even more?