ISLAND FOG

indiebobindiebob UK Join Date: 2017-02-23 Member: 228175Members
edited March 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
The fog protecting the islands seems a bit artificial to me, and obvious, easy to spot etc. so here is my suggestion for doing it differently.
1. Initially the whole map is shrouded in fog. Volumetric fog everywhere, even around the player's life pod. This would make a ghostly, atmospheric start to the game's environment.
2. When the reactor on the main ship wreck explodes, it clears the area around it of fog. Out, 200m or so beyond the player's position but not as far as either island.
3. When the defence system fires, it is preceded by a shock wave which clears the fog from around that island.
4. When the player initiates travel to the floating island via teleport a second shock wave initialises when the player leaves the floating island, clearing the fog around it.

Just a thought!

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I'm not really sure that adding tons of fog everywhere is the best idea. Fog is implemented in subnautica to hide the locations that aren't loaded in, which significantly improves game performance. I'd like to see an image/video of the fog working the way it is now.
  • skyreaperking211skyreaperking211 Tennessee Join Date: 2017-03-06 Member: 228672Members
    If you are limited site in the ocean why would you want to not see where you are going above water
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    If you are limited site in the ocean why would you want to not see where you are going above water

"Want" does not factor into it all that much, it's more about what story the game is telling. It would be pretty cool to crash at night, with a fog bank obscuring everything, and a dense fog in the area for a couple days, and have the ship explosion push it out. Then you sleep till morning or something, because starting at night might be a bit hard for a new player.

Main thing is... can the engine do this well? Is it easy and atmospheric enough to be worth doing?
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    edited December 2017
    not sure about all these shockawaves, but your idea of fogging up the place is really really nice !
    it would as you say, give a ghostly feeling after the crash, maybe you could barely see some flames from the aurora. eventually passing days ingame will slowly cancel the fog, basically a weather-change. (also, make day-night cycle longer, subnautica is not a 20minutes game. whoever starts playing it, will play for hours ^_^ )
    very nice idea this fog !
    i mean the tropical feeling you get when first leaving the pod..... it feels like holiday tbh haha
    but it should actually feel terrible, like seriously terrible, youre on an alien waterplanet !
    fog wouldnt allow you to insta realize youre on a waterplanet, thats maybe why they prefer to keep it the actual way.
    just, thinking about it, its very cheap to have those 2 clouds on the landmasses... i guess everyone who first plays would swim to the islands, if they would be visible, i see.
    thats why Bobs idea is the best tbh
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited December 2017
    The fog is there to help people know where the islands are. It's also for new people to realize something is in those locations. When you go away from the Aurora, it just vanishes. If the fog wasn't there. No one would know those islands existed. In till they exhausted every option to figure out how to progress. At that point, people would rage quit. They're land marks, but without just flat out saying game progression here.
  • PearluminiumPearluminium Wabern Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234289Members
    yes fog would be quite nice
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The fog idea is nice but it does hide the stuff loading in. So maybe it should just clear the fog temporarily