Now that we have the 64 Bit update, it's time for the tickrate / updaterate to go up.

SamdamanSamdaman USA Join Date: 2015-12-07 Member: 209802Members
Guys as many of you know, or don't, the Tickrate / updaterate is only at 30. This is a HUGE DEAL!! You cannot balance a game correctly with that degree of lag / lack of updates.

If you are uneducated on netcode / the way networking in video games work, here is a link to a youtuber who does great breakdowns for videogames: https://youtube.com/user/xFPxAUTh0r1ty

We are the fastest paced game in the FPS genre at the moment with the slowest / worst tickrates. How many of you experience getting shot around corners? How many experience getting shot even though you saw the marine looking in a different direction??! How many, Lerks, Fades, or anything fast paced have you lost due to how bad the updaterate is? Guys, it is a big deal and a game this fast paced and this unique SHOULD NOT HAVE ONLY 30 TICKS A SECOND!

Now, you may be asking, well why don't server owners turn it up? The answer is it is hard coded that if you want to turn up your updaterate you also have to turn up your ai ticks per second as well, causing massive server strain. This is something only the devs can fix and it isn't worth fixing unless people really want it and support it. It also is optional and all servers boot up with 30 when it should be 60 or even greater.

Here is an example of what happens when the tickrate is low in a video game: https://youtube.com/watch?v=XmGZwXwJzqo Now, this is just in a slow game like overwatch. Maybe now you are starting to understand why this is so bad for a game where we travel so fast we could go back in time.

Here is another example from Battlefield 4 before they fixed it and upped it to 60: https://youtube.com/watch?v=761X0hMYQ6I

and Another: https://youtube.com/watch?v=oRHhw5Y4Qok

Look, I could post examples all days guys, Please, lets make this something worth developing. A game this amazing should have the netcode to back it. I guarantee you that we have lost MASSIVE amounts of players due to how bad the netcode is in this game, it just produces a ton of FUCK THIS SHIT emotions and makes people rage quit. We will also never be a competitive game unless we upgrade. I promise you all, I have run a server before with the updaterate set to 60 and it was a day and night difference. Hell, if I was trying to run this game I would be gunning for 120 updates a second instead of 60 because that's how fast paced this game is.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if any devs are reading this, thank you for everything you have done THIS FAR, you have done a lot, I've been watching. The devs are doing an awesome job so far, I hope they can continue this streak and really bring this game into the light.

Comments

• SamdamanSamdaman USA Join Date: 2015-12-07 Member: 209802Members
    AWWW HELL YAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @GhoulofGSG9 do you have a list of tickrate dependent code? That seems like the sort of thing the community might be good at digging into since each fix would be pretty self contained.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Samdaman wrote: »
    We are the fastest paced game in the FPS genre at the moment

I assume then you've never heard of arena shooters?
  • HobbesonHobbeson New York Join Date: 2015-12-04 Member: 209723Members
    I've heard that higher tick rates tend to mess with balance (favoring marines). Does anyone have experience with this?
    Hobbeson wrote: »
    I've heard that higher tick rates tend to mess with balance (favoring marines). Does anyone have experience with this?

It does, you would be amazed at the sheer amount of bullets that disappear into the void. At least, during my testing of using a high tickrate the marines became very powerful. Also the dual miniguns broke, their overheat mechanic was sped up.

I had to compensate by buffing the defensive abilities of the aliens, mainly the gorges and also buffing the skulks. I installed a mod that twilightblue made called "New Skulk Jump" and that made the bunnyhoping faster and with more maneuverability in the air (Think counterstrike how you can turn in mid air). Twilight has changed the mod since then though and it is more like the default mode but faster. If you want to try the version I used I made a copy at that time and it is called "Skulk Movement Changes" on the workshop. I also buffed the aliens even further by installing a mod called "Immersive Lighting" I also made a copy of that if you want to see what that was like.. Although I believe that mod developer changed the mod name and it is now called "Creepier Atmosphere". If you want to see a list of all the balance changes I made then click here: https://testsquadron.com/threads/test-squadron-natural-selection-2-server.6214/ It's actually pretty awesome to see how many are in the actual game now.

Like the dev said though, the game wasn't coded for higher tickrates so it really messes with things, especially the overheat mechanic for miniguns.

The next time you are getting shot though, watch your health bar and see if it correlates to the amount of bullets being shot / see if every bullet is actually hitting you or if it is just bursts of damage. Also, play as a lerk and have a friend shoot you just as you are rounding the corner and see how far past the corner you continue to take damage. I've done a lot of testing with friends and the tickrates. Probably spent a month just testing the netcode and fixing the issues that popped up and seeing just how much the tickrates mattered in this game.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    How far does a celerity lerk move in one server tick? (Relative to its model length)