Aurora is a death trap in VR

zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
When exploring innards of Aurora, I had to restart three times because of either getting thrown *inside* of the 3D models or getting stuck to pipes.

I think this has to do with using Vive and VR mode. Typical example is when I reached to the ceiling to breath and the water surface was very close to the ceiling itself. I'm guessing VR mode let me push me head through the ceiling just enough that the engine started thinking I was one the other side of the ceiling model.

The long room full of pipes was one of the places where getting stuck happened. It's quite demanding for the physics engine; I ended up getting stuck quite high, above some pipes, and the game when to a flickering mode where I was moved between two different positions several times per second. Now movement commands helped my to get unstuck.

Comments

• zdszds Finland Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232317Members
    I had screenshots of all three spots, but apparently the game does not store screenshots if you don't save. And with only one saveslot saving when stuck is really not an option.

So you're lying in the bed you made.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    You could make a copy of your save, then intentionally "break" the game, saving a screenshot. If you're on steam, a common location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames.
    Yeah. I could also just use SteamVR screenshots, as those are retained regardless of save status. I just didn't know the screenshots get deleted, so I thought taking ingame shots was enough.