End game options?

ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
I know they are thinking of either putting the player into sleep, or jumping into a wormhole or going into FTL when the rocket is launched. Personally, I hope they go with FTL. It doesn't break the lore, since even at 10 times lightspeed, it would still take a full year in hyperspace to go just 10 light years. Without some kind of FTL, it would most likely take decades or centuries to go to any system without a phasegate, which would make creating a large star empire impossible.

Personally, I think being put to sleep would be a letdown after all the player has done.

A wormhole might work, as a natural way to get to the system at 4546B.

Any thoughts? What ending do the rest of you prefer?

Comments

• SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Much like Ellen Ripley needing to enter cry sleep at the end of Alien despite it being a world with FTL capability (Namely because her escape shuttle lacked ftl capability) something similar could work well for our character here.

More so when the game can then have the character rescued by a vessel a some later point while still within the original star system, (and then receive some signal on the surface, such as an S.OS from the Degasi crew that's worth investigating, or whatever reason they need for the main protagonist to return for future DLC content and sequels.)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    If I remember correctly, it would be many years before rescue could arrive. Travel to this area takes a horribly long time, hence Alterra's purpose in the area - they are building a phasegate. The only way I could see us not going into stasis were if the Ion Crystal power source could push us beyond known speeds.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    Well the Aurora did it in months (if I remember right), but it took ages to build it. It's more like Alterra is not likely to pay for a rescue unless you're someone rich, like the Degassi. Interstellar travel without FTL would take centuries. Even *with* FTL it would likely take months or years without a phasegate.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    edited September 2017
    You need to remember that in rockets fuel is used but in this case you are using ion crystals matrices which has different and unpredictable properties and this is why the warp effect is now added to the rocket (im not a playtester but i saw it in the checkings) but everything is a subject to change

Ps:what is FTL?
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    adel_50 wrote: »
    Ps:what is FTL?

FTL's a commonly used acronym for "Faster than Light" travel.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Maybe they're going to send the Oriana now...
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    ssutcliffe wrote: »
    I know they are thinking of either putting the player into sleep, or jumping into a wormhole or going into FTL when the rocket is launched. Personally, I hope they go with FTL. It doesn't break the lore, since even at 10 times lightspeed, it would still take a full year in hyperspace to go just 10 light years. Without some kind of FTL, it would most likely take decades or centuries to go to any system without a phasegate, which would make creating a large star empire impossible.

Personally, I think being put to sleep would be a letdown after all the player has done.

A wormhole might work, as a natural way to get to the system at 4546B.

Any thoughts? What ending do the rest of you prefer?

as i remember the rocket i think is only to get the player to a nearby phaze gait to rescue him/herself as it was still going to take a very long time to organize and get to you.
    if sleep it should show you waking up as your docking or wake up with a ship outside the window if ftl it should show getting to the warp gait then warping /a station/ a ship appearing out side the window

as i think they were still organizing a rescue after a period of time someone should show up ether at your base or in orbit if you never leave
  • syrnuxsyrnux Join Date: 2017-10-13 Member: 233540Members
    As of the October release, after
    you release the baby sea emperors into the portal
    is that the current end? Or are one of these options (or other option) currently a choice with this release?
    syrnux wrote: »
    As of the October release, after
    you release the baby sea emperors into the portal
    is that the current end? Or are one of these options (or other option) currently a choice with this release?

You can consider it an ending if you want to stay but the offical ending is not going to be released until January
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    I thought I read in a data download that the Aurora's mission was supposed to last 18 months. Since they had to go where there are no phasegates, this implies some kind of FTL travel. Also, it's established that the Aurora has "dark matter" drives. This is some serious space magic so I would hazard a guess that FTL is entirely possible in this universe.

It's also possible that a ship with FTL capability is relatively rare, and requires something the size of the Aurora. This could explain why it would take years for a rescue mission to reach 4546B. Really it should take decades if you have to move at sub-light, so maybe the Aurora's drive is even more special than usual for FTL travel.

And I just remembered that the Sunbeam crossed the solar system in under two weeks. That's hecking /fast/ so they must be able to at least approach C. Otherwise it could take them a year or more.
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    I thought I read in a data download that the Aurora's mission was supposed to last 18 months. Since they had to go where there are no phasegates, this implies some kind of FTL travel. Also, it's established that the Aurora has "dark matter" drives. This is some serious space magic so I would hazard a guess that FTL is entirely possible in this universe.

It's also possible that a ship with FTL capability is relatively rare, and requires something the size of the Aurora. This could explain why it would take years for a rescue mission to reach 4546B. Really it should take decades if you have to move at sub-light, so maybe the Aurora's drive is even more special than usual for FTL travel.

And I just remembered that the Sunbeam crossed the solar system in under two weeks. That's hecking /fast/ so they must be able to at least approach C. Otherwise it could take them a year or more.

This brings me to the rocket as all of us know that a warp effect doesn't make sense at all but what will change this is the fact that you'll power it using ion cubes which is something no one used before except us