What is up with the Mushroom Forest?

JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
Why do the mushrooms spawn so poorly? They are static terrain objects....what about them makes them so taxing to display, and why don't they fix this?

I have an Asus Rog laptop....i7 3.50ghz turbo 16 GB RAM and an NVIDIA 980M. I can play most things on high graphic settings, yet no matter what I do the Mushroom Forest spawns like a turd....

Also, where are all the mineral deposits there? Other than Lithium being all over the darn place the only Basalt Chunks were in the big mushroom with the cave in it....

The Wiki says there are supposed to be minerals at the base of some mushrooms or at the top of them, I have slowly and carefully scoped out many mushrooms top to bottom, and other than lithium deposits it's a pretty worthless biome as far as breakable mineral deposits go....

Comments

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited September 2017
    JoE_Smash wrote: »
    Why do the mushrooms spawn so poorly? They are static terrain objects....what about them makes them so taxing to display
    It's not just the terrain. It also has to do with all of the mushroom caps and other flora than spawn on the mushrooms which aren't terrain.
    why don't they fix this?
    Like with many other commonly reported bugs, they are working on this. https://trello.com/c/deleCjcO/6567-optimise-mushroom-forest
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I think it's cuz every single mushroom cap thing is a separate model that the game has to load. Each one also emits light, soo...
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I think the game would not suffer much, gameplay and immersion wise, if you could not break mushroom caps and just harvested them like those plants on the Grant Reef. Certainly not as much as immersion suffers when my game becomes a slideshow every time I visit that place...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2017
    I believe that "UP" is the direction Opposite of, moving toward the ground/seabed in this particular instance.

B)
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    Ok so the lag is because of being able to harvest the mushrooms themselves? I suspected that could be the case. What about my other question, where are all the breakable mineral nodes? Are the only ones in the big mushroom cave?
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Ok so the lag is because of being able to harvest the mushrooms themselves? I suspected that could be the case. What about my other question, where are all the breakable mineral nodes? Are the only ones in the big mushroom cave?

For your first question there's a lot of textures used in the mushroom forest the devs right now are going to reduce the textures on them so that it improve performance and loading

For your second question the only nodes available in the mushroom forest are lithium this was the case ever since the prawn update dropped and about basalt chunks there's none in the mushroom forest only in deeper areas and on the mountain island
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    Ok well there are a few basalt chunks inside the big mushroom caves, and the Wiki eludes that there are mineral nodes on the mushrooms including basalt. If this was never actually the case, and the few basalt chunks present in the Mushroom Forest are only located inside the cave in the big mushroom, and that mushroom is only present in the NW Mushroom Forest.... then Wiki should be edited and clarified to indicate this. I guess I spent a lot of time looking for something that is incorrect in the Wiki...
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    In another thread, someone linked an item on the Trell saying they are working on this.

LOL. Or, I might be half asleep and it was just above in this very same thread. :)

Here is one interesting DEV comment:

"... I think we can easily reduce tree materials by 50% without harming the look of them, or even further if needed..."

garath wrote: »
    In another thread, someone linked an item on the Trell saying they are working on this.

LOL. Or, I might be half asleep and it was just above in this very same thread. :)

"... I think we can easily reduce tree materials by 50% without harming the look of them, or even further if needed..."

You are right the amount of materials used in the mushroom forest is so much which explains the low frame rates when inside this biome
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    adel_50 wrote: »

You are right the amount of materials used in the mushroom forest is so much which explains the low frame rates when inside this biome

It is the biome I get the most amount of pop-ins comparatively. Where can I download more GPU memory, this 1Gig is starting to irk me :tongue:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

It is the biome I get the most amount of pop-ins comparatively. Where can I download more GPU memory, this 1Gig is starting to irk me :tongue:

Your avatar blinks now?!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    kingkuma wrote: »

Your avatar blinks now?!

Maybe...

Don't worry the devs will reduce the rendering price soon so make sure you stay tuned for that