Lost River/Lava Zone Crash in Ghost Update + minor bug with scanner rooms

LunaraiaLunaraia Join Date: 2017-09-04 Member: 232813Members
edited September 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I would have posted this sooner, but due to the restrictions on how the forum operates it had to wait until today, granted I did deliver a bug report via in game methods but I figure, better safe than sorry because this one is capable of crashing your entire computer, not just the game.

Long story short, there is something going on in the Lost River/Lava zone that causes the game to crash, and I don't mean Crash the game, I mean my entire computer goes on the fritz from it, the thing is, it ONLY happens in those two areas, no other areas have this issue.

The first instance happened 2 days ago when I first entered Lost River in Ghost Update, after about a 4 or 5 hour session I had finally gotten to the Lost River Biome in the Ghost update, as I hadn't played in a while, however I had barely entered the area in my Prawn Suit, and suddenly the screen goes black, my fans go crazy and the game just blacks out, the noise from the computer gets worse and worse to the point where I have to turn the thing off.
More than a bit miffed I ended the session there since I had lost a lot of progress as I had forgotten that Subnautica does not autosave.
I tried again yesterday and managed to get deeper into the Lost River, but I still crashed like that 2 more times over the span of 30 minutes, though it seemed to fix itself once I finally got to the Alien base in the Lost River, in there I didn't crash at all and I were able to go from there to the Lava Zone with relative ease.
Thinking my woes over I pressed on, now saving quite often due to paranoia, turns out I had reason to do so as the same type of crash happened as I were exiting the alien Thermal Plant with the blue Artifact, considering the random nature of this particular crash I am not sure what causes it, but here is a pastebin link to my DXdiag and output_log.txt.

https://pastebin.com/W1ApeDr8

As for the scanner room one, it's pretty simple to replicate, if you build one, then at a later point save and then exit the drones that came with it will have mysteriously vanished when you come back, not sure if the fact that I always docked the things into the scanner room itself might had had something to do with it, but it's possible

Comments

• HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    I've played in those areas over the last few days and not crashed.

Since it's not happening to others (seemingly) and in just the one area, the mostly like culprit is your graphics card. It might be struggling to render all those flashy graphics and overheating.

Is your graphics card old? Are the drivers up to date?
  • LunaraiaLunaraia Join Date: 2017-09-04 Member: 232813Members
    my graphics card is a gtx1060, there is no way it should have problems rendering subnautica and yes the drivers are up to date
    Yes that card really should be good enough. Mine is worse and I have no problems.

Are you overclocking your card?

I experienced something very similar to you playing Titan Quest with a radeon card, except it wasn't location specific. After about 10-15 minutes of playing the PC would heat up. Fan would go a bit nuts. Computer would crash and couldn't be turned back on straight away. After a few times it fried my power supply.

It turned out to be a driver bug which they later fixed and detailed in update logs. The bug caused the card's default dynamic overclocking system to ignore the heat gauge responsible for disabling overclocking to prevent overheating. It was specific to one radeon card and one game.
    I don't think I am overclocking it, as I have never done such a thing in my life myself so I can't actually tell, as I have no idea how to check, the computer itself is pretty new so it MIGHT be the issue I honestly can't tell
    I also had never and still haven't deliberately overclocked. In my case it was something the card did by itself which I hadn't realised.

I did a quick google earlier and it doesn't look like your card does. Most don't. Though maybe it's possible someone else has done it.

This program should tell you if it has been overclocked - comparing the gpu clock and default clock.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    the thing doesn't SEEM to be overclocking as far as I can tell then again I am not really sure what to look for :/
    Sooo, update time, I can't really test this at the moment anymore since my save decided to break during my last test which honestly really sucks, will work to get back there but it will take time.
    Soo, either the newest update fixed the issue, or Halios was right about the overclock thing, as I changed some of my graphics settings in MSI afterburner to see if that would help but didn't get back to the lost river before the newest update hit, either way I am no longer crashing.