Surface is to safe

SpleftSpleft Join Date: 2017-07-22 Member: 231969Members
The surface is to safe. You can travel across it without most fauna attacking you. A jellyfish or sailfish of some sort should be added in to hang out at the surface to 30m underwater. To make the game more challaging and fun

Comments

• MuovipulloMuovipullo Join Date: 2017-03-24 Member: 229158Members
    Maybe big birds that may attack to you, if you swim on the surface
  • SpleftSpleft Join Date: 2017-07-22 Member: 231969Members
    Muovipullo wrote: »

Yeah

Giants pelican like birds
  • Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    Not a bad idea. Maybe after 1.0. Doubtfully
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I think adding some existing sharks to the open ocean spawns would do well and wouldn't take as much effort as creating an entirely new creature.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    There have to be some sort of avian life forms (not just predators). Not birds of course, but flying fish or something evolved from mollusk.flyingfishfinal.jpg
    latest?cb=20131007211223
    So that the sky would not feel empty.

• Venom0103Venom0103 Join Date: 2017-08-27 Member: 232682Members
    It actually is a really great idea. I mean there is nothing to really screw with you so it would be great to have a threat there just to make it a bit harder overall.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited August 2017
    I feel like stalkers make the safe shallows areas difficult enough. I assume by "surface" you mean the shallows but i could be wrong.
    I feel like stalkers make the safe shallows areas difficult enough. I assume by "surface" you mean the shallows but i could be wrong.

I mean the surface, as in like 0-10 meters
    Everything in gameplay mechanics is a trade. Heavy armor but slow speed, for example. Good game design revolves around the principle of creating reasonable tradeoffs.

In this case, yes, the surface is safe - but there's nothing there. Sure, you can putter around on the surface all you like and only very rarely be in any danger, but you're not going to do anything. There are no resources to be had, no blueprints to find, nothing to help advance your game. To do that means getting down in the water, and that means danger. Thus we see two perfect trades: safe surface/no progress and risky depths/resources.

The surface is therefore only good for getting from Point A to Point B in relative speed and safety - which is what most players use the surface for, I'd bet. After all, if you're getting ambushed constantly with no safe path from your base to where you want to get to work, you're going to get frustrated, fast. The surface offers a safe "highway" to get you to parts of the game world at the expense of not being able to see, interact with, or harvest the areas over which you're passing.

Once you get lead gear for the Aurora's radiation you can just swim on the surface right to it and repair it though.
  • FrostedFlakesFrostedFlakes United States Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232704Members
    I was thinking a fish with a flat bottom could float on top of the kelp forests and eat creepvine
  • Sir_RatmanSir_Ratman England Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232718Members
    Perhaps some kind of crocodile like creatures that float on the surface would be interesting
    AstridK wrote: »
    Am i really the only one who actually enjoys it that the surface is relatively safe? *scratches head*

Actually I like it too. It's almost peaceful when you are on surface, but if you want to progress, you have to face horrors of depths.

Maybe the animal on the surface could be like a Gastropod then, it doesn't attack until you get near. This way the surface is still safe, but not too safe.
    Its not that surface is safe, it just feels empty.
    Game lacks peaceful creatures in general, there are already plenty of predators (although avian fish and bigger avian predator would be nice to see...)
  • Tac429Tac429 Canada Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230097Members
    edited September 2017

I like that I idea even if its only dangerous when you swim right into its tentacles it would make the surface seem way less empty.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Have any of y'all been out on the open ocean in real life? A certain distance from the shore, there's not a whole lot there but water and the horizon. Adding danger for the sake of danger is pointless, and there's no reason for a whole lot of nothing to be dangerous. Incidentally, there are "birds" in the game. Exit the top hatch of the lifepod and you'll see one up close.

Anyway, if you want danger above the water, go swim behind the Aurora. Go ahead-- stay on the surface. Let me know what happens.
  • FlanpanFlanpan UK Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230681Members
    Well one way this would be fixed would be for creatures to migrate to various locations.
    Like a reaper that travels 50 metres below the surface looking for food anywhere on the map
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017
    So you want a challenge or want more decor? I'm not against making the surface more appealing. But it would be not realistic. What would animals be doing on the surface? For making it harder. I don't see that being a good idea. There are many times I'm almost dead or out of air. Me just making the surface, as the character is blacking out is a relief. But than being killed by something stupid. Would trigger auto rage quit.
    Flanpan wrote: »
    Well one way this would be fixed would be for creatures to migrate to various locations.
    Like a reaper that travels 50 metres below the surface looking for food anywhere on the map
    Absolutely not. Unless there's a way to kill them added in. This would turn off newcomers fast. Several Dinosaurs where nerfed for this problem alone, in Ark.
  • FlanpanFlanpan UK Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230681Members
    Well I wasn't expecting that reaction.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Unless there's a way to kill them added in. This would turn off newcomers fast.
    I disagree with this, as I wasn't thinking of adding reaper specifically; that's just the one that would cause the largest gameplay difference. Certain creatures moving from one biome to another (based on the species) would make the world more scary, but not necessarily any harder because the population of the predators would be further spread out.
    Even if you don't want to have the megafauna to do that, it would be really cool to see an enzyme peeper spawn out of one vent and swim to another on the map.
    To me, it would make the world more varied, due to the potential different experiences that people could have. Unless it's too time consuming to develop or performance draining on devices, then I don't see why it would be a bad thing.

It's kind of off topic for this discussion, but I was wondering about ways to solve your problem with the reaper. If they were to add a feature to attach signals to objects and creatures, it would allow you see where they're going and name them by proxy. Heck, it could be fun too.
    edited September 2017
    So you want a challenge or want more decor?
    décor
    What would animals be doing on the surface?
    THe same thing they do in real life.
    albatross-thalassarche-cauta-shy-mollymawk-landing-bird.jpg
    Except in the world of Subnautica it must be something other than birds, because birds could not have evolved on such world
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    Yeah, roving packs of near-surface predators (e.g. quasi-sharks, barracudas ....) would make for a bit more respect for this zone - at least above certain biomes. I'd like something fast and not too easily outrun by the Seamoth. Rather, you'd have to either crash dive into some cover, or perhaps porpoise jump the Seamoth a few times before they lose interest.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

Have to agree with you. Stalkers always chase me on the surface.
    Have any of y'all been out on the open ocean in real life? A certain distance from the shore, there's not a whole lot there but water and the horizon. Adding danger for the sake of danger is pointless, and there's no reason for a whole lot of nothing to be dangerous. Incidentally, there are "birds" in the game. Exit the top hatch of the lifepod and you'll see one up close.

Anyway, if you want danger above the water, go swim behind the Aurora. Go ahead-- stay on the surface. Let me know what happens.

True, that honestly makes sense.
    Halios wrote: »
    I like the surface safe and think it should stay that way.

Subnautica already has some of the scariest fish ever imagined and they make certain areas of the game very scary. Including the surface, eg. around the island. Sure, sometimes you can safely drive a seamoth or swim through. But sometimes you'll attract a reaper leviathan and then your pants are uncomfortably warm and stinky.

Agreed.

Now i'm going to address some who disagree with me.
    Flanpan wrote: »

If this happens, then we would be dead. Why? Reapers destroyed Lifepod 4. They would have destroyed ours in the three hours it took for us to wake.

Also, they would all probably go to the safe shallows, as the most food is there.
    Venom0103 wrote: »
    It actually is a really great idea. I mean there is nothing to really screw with you so it would be great to have a threat there just to make it a bit harder overall.

Try swimming through a kelp forest. Stalkers will bite you up.

Oh and try in front of the Aurora ;)
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    This game already has plenty of challenge and fun. However, what it doesn't have is a good gating mechanism to prevent the player from swimming all over the surface right from the very beginning of the game (except for the radiation field around the Aurora itself).

Predators that attack the player swimming near the surface could provide this this, although rather than giant birds, I would think that sharks would be fine. In real life, sharks are drawn to people swimming on the surface, so it wouldn't be immersion breaking at all for a shark to come up from below and attack outside of the safe shallows.

Of course it would want them swimming along the surface everywhere. Not allowing that would cause the difficulty curve too high for new players. Its like saying "Oh, see this? You can't go anywhere until you have a seamoth!"

I get my point may be wrong, but meh it's my post and opinion :P.
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    The game is plenty dangerous enough already. There are bleeders, mesmers, stalkers and hanging jellyfish in the Kelp forests now. Not to mention crashfish are everywhere now, not just caves (annoys the shit out of me!).
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    Yeah I felt the same way when a crashfish blew my Seamoth to bits around me! A tip in case you don't know it already - you can stop them from re-spawning by using the hardened dive knife on their crash fish plant.