"Dawning": A Subnautica Story

SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
CHAPTER 1

"I've never really understood regret. It doesn't seem to be of any use to the human psyche. All the guilt, the unnecessary sadness, it drags a person down. So, I've made it a personal goal to never feel such a useless emotion.

Or any for that matter.

That's one of the few things that binds the human race to that puny pile of rubble that some still call home. Emotions. Emotions are simply bad for business. What place does happiness have when buying land? What place does anger have when selling loads of Plasteel? Emotions are the bane of profit, and need to be purged from this galaxy. And here at the Torgal Corporation, it is my solemn oath that such things are done away with as soon as humanly possible. Starting here."

"Thank you so very much, but that's all the time we have for today. I thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule for this interview. I'm sure that our show will gain quite the viewership after this, you being one of the most important men in the galaxy."

"Of course," I said "Anything for my dear nephew's network. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an important meeting to attend to."

"Yes sir. Of course sir." The young man said as he bowed many times. Too many times to be healthy.

The man, ordering his camera crew to gather the gratuitous amount of equipment they brought with them, strolled out the door to the Docking Bay.

"Filthy man..." I muttered under my breath.

I stood, realizing that some of the remaining men and women might still be able to hear, and quickly strode out of the room to my office. No sooner had I left the room when my assistant came barreling around corner. We collided, and she flew backwards, throwing multiple PDA's around the corridor. It pays to be made of 45 percent pure titanium.

"What in the name of Terra, Brooklyn?! Pay attention to where you're going!" I exclaimed, gently rubbing my now bruised jaw.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! So, so, sorry! I didn't think that anyone was there, and I really needed you for something important, and you needed to see it immediately, so I ran as fast as I could from my office to find you, an-"

"For goodness sakes, Brooklyn, slow that mouth of yours." I said, annoyed.

"Yes sir..." Brooklyn said timidly.

"Now, what do you need me to see."

"What? Hmm... what was it? Oh, I know that I knew just a few minutes ago. But what was it?" She muttered.

"Maybe try looking at the stacks of tech you carelessly tossed?" I said, now very annoyed.

"Oh yeah, sorry. Let's see what we have here, bills, bills, bills, spam, bills, spam, ooh coupons for warp drives, bills..."

"If you could please tell me sometime this century, please."

"Ah, here it is. It's the document to order that mining shuttle you wanted for the new mine on Asteroid B0AGDD"

"Ugh, that's a terrible name."

"What was that sir?"

"That needn't concern you. What must I do to complete the transaction?"

"Well, all the paperwork has been finished, all we need now is your voiced affirmation."

"Of course, give me that PDA.

I'm Paul Torgal, and I approve this purchase under the tab of the Torgal Corporation."
1 year.

This took me 1 year to start.

Gosh. I need reevaluate my levels of procrastination.

Anyway, I'm happy to announce that I finally have this story to an acceptable level of quality.

Ladies, Gentlemen, and any and all configurations of being...

Welcome, to Dawning.

I hope you enjoy. :smile:

Comments

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    edited August 2017
    *inhales deeply and prepares body*
    Here we go again :)
    P.S. Good luck :smiley:
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Oh good, you've made this at last. I shall be watching this very carefully.
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    Friend, I know how you feel. I wish the best of luck on this journey that is writing. Some succeed, many will falter and fade away. I have a feeling, however, that you will not be one of those people. Good luck, friend. May the Force be with you!
    Great! Already breaking my heart with a love story! FANTASTIC!!! I swear, every time...
    Fan theory time(Let's stop the breakup/death)! Ok, I think that maybe Bart was pulled by a wormhole back to earth after he escaped back to the floater island base. Fan theory accomplished!
    Paul, you could just make a few extra credits on the side by getting Sylas Deluca to sell omelets!
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    It says a lot that the most qualified geologist in the Ariadne Arm is a registered sociopath. Who crushes rocks. And is nearly seven feet tall.
    edited August 2017
    My God you are a fantastic writer! I swear, Bugz, you, Scifiwriterguy, and Jamezorg could all write books someday!
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Hmmhmmhmm...

Haahaahaahaahaahaa...
    Oh, dear. Once a character starts laughing maniacally, things are bound to go downhill....
    Hmmhmmhmm...

Haahaahaahaahaahaa...
    Oh, dear. Once a character starts laughing maniacally, things are bound to go downhill....

Indeed.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    My God you are a fantastic writer! I swear, Bugz, you, Scifiwriterguy, and Jamezorg could all write books someday!

Is this not?
    Hmmhmmhmm...

Haahaahaahaahaahaa...

And the little fact that Paul sees this planet as no more than 84% Plasteel, didn't inform anyone of his altered intentions and remarks that the profit will be 'all his'. Ladies and gentlemen: this man is Donald Trump and 4546B is his Mexico.
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Hmmhmmhmm...

Haahaahaahaahaahaa...

And the little fact that Paul sees this planet as no more than 84% Plasteel, didn't inform anyone of his altered intentions and remarks that the profit will be 'all his'. Ladies and gentlemen: this man is Donald Trump and 4546B is his Mexico.
    Ladies and gentlemen, we are going to build a phasegate. It's going to be YUUUUUGE, and Alterra is going to pay for it!
    I just thought... Paul is described so rough and... heartless, mainly towards everyone else...
    What if he's a sociopath!!!
    (That would... actually explain a lot of his lines in the main game... :D )
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited August 2017
    Sylas Deluca

Well, this has been a boring job. Here I was, all geared up for a fight, and all we've done so far was kill some stray Starwhals. And even that turned out to be a bad decision. We've been trying to scrape that stuff off Blitz's windshield for days. I really regret agreeing to this job. I mean, in my defense, I didn't have much of a choice. It was either this or going back to filling Skulks full of lead, and I refuse to go back to those disgusting cesspools.

And to make matters worse, I had to spend all hours with some of the most unpleasant people in the Ariadne Arm. I do appreciate that they came from similar backgrounds as I did. It made conversations with them much less awkward. But they weren't the most gifted in social skills. Or manners.

Kamron was fairly short for a man, but that did little to undermine him. What he lacked in vertical height, he made up for in muscle height. He had the the lowest fat percentage of any human being I've ever seen. And as for his skill, he was second to none. Being a pilot during the Obraxian Massacre, he killed off nearly half of the uprising group with his immaculately placed plasma torpedo bolts. Too bad about the civilian casualties, or he would have been heralded as a hero. He's been bitter about this fact ever since.

Aerora could very well be the most beautiful person in the galaxy. The only problem is that her beauty has been crushed under the layers and layers of 7 years worth of beatings, leaving her face to look like she got plastic surgery from a blind Fade. Due to an unfortunate cage match, her nose had nearly been turned inwards. Her long, golden hair had multiple patches missing, looking like someone had torn it off. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was what happened. Despite her physical appearance, she was one of the best close-range fighters I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in action. A man had once tried to mug her in a spaceport, and last I heard of him is that they were still looking for his foot.

Gzad was a mystery. He wasn't incredibly knowledgeable on English, so he tended to stay silent, speaking in affirmative or negative grunts. But if he was to enter the Mr. Universe pageant, I have no doubt that he would win, hands down. His bicep's bicep's had biceps. His legs were about as thick around as a grown man. He was responsible for the 57 deaths in Asteroid 214, a feat that had the authorities stumped to this day, despite the event happening over a decade ago. Gzad was also the foremost expert on ore. His interest in minerals, seemed, unhealthy, for lack of better words. I'm pretty sure I overheard him chanting to a piece of Bismuth a few weeks ago. I tried to forget that event as much as I could.

But they're the only people I can talk to, as the engineers with us don't dare come withing 5 meters of us mercenaries. It's actually quite funny to see them run and cower in the engine room whenever Gzad wakes up for his watch shift.

The only entertainment opportunity available in this isolation deck was harassment. Harassing, specifically, Mr. Torgal. I don't trust the man, nor do I trust the rest of his crew. If he wasn't such a coward, he would ditch us in the middle of space without a second thought. With concern to our pay, we haven't done many severe pranks. Remotely set off some alarms, nudged the Degasi enough to freak out the people inside, and even got Kamron to tape some printed pictures of an Onos on the external cameras. We got a good laugh out of that one.

But the best one by far definitely has to be when we switched the Torgaljin product sets with the Alterra product sets. So when Mr. Torgal goes to fabricate one of his basic Exo's, he'll get an Alterra PRAWN. Something that would anger the old man to no end, but would ultimately be worth the reaction. I could see him scratching his head in confusion when he got that hunk of junk instead. Thinking of moments like that make the unbearable bore of space travel worth it.

But, enough of my self wallowing, it was my watch shift. Even if I was certain nothing was anywhere near us, I was contractually obligated to watch the Degasi during my hours. I stared through at the monitor displaying the external camera feed from the outside of Blitz, almost praying something would attack. I'd even want a freaking ship full of Kharaa to come out of wormhole at this point. I was that desperate.

As usual, nothing happened on the feed. Just an eight-seater taking a leisurely, light-speed stroll through the cosmos. But suddenly, the Degasi jerked downwards, faster than the camera could move. Then it came back to the appropriate level, turned nearly 90 degrees to its starboard side, and practically blipped out of existence. Faster than I would expect a ship of that size to move. "Kamron!" I screamed, "We got trouble!"

"Where, I'll blast it out of existence!" he yelled in return.

"No you idiot! Torgal just abandoned us! He's already long gone by now!" I screamed louder.

I can take being mistreated, I can take being misunderstood, I can even take being ridiculed. But never, never under any circumstances, will I allow you to abandon me. Over my dead body.

I ran to the main bridge, yelling to Kamron, "Follow the imbecile! Follow the imbecile!"

"What? Why?" He asked, clearly puzzled.

"Because that little human stain is going to pay for hiring us, then leaving us for no reason!" I said, beyond infuriated.

"Dude, what's your problem?" He said, grasping my wrist.

I shook his hand off, and gave him the most withering glare I could muster. Kamron backed away from me, trying to find the emergency alarm behind him. I couldn't have that, the others couldn't understand. They wouldn't understand.

I grabbed a small throwing knife from my leg pocket, and threw at his leg. The knife stabbed his upper calf, causing him to topple onto the deck, howling in pain. "You will remain loyal to me, you miserable ingrate! We're going for Torgal, and we'll make him pay!"

Kamron quieted down, almost whimpering from fear and pain. But I didn't care at that point. Torgal would pay. Torgal would pay. Torgal would pay.

No one will ever cross me again. No one will ever cross Sylas Deluca and live to tell the tale.

TORGAL WOULD PAY!
    I blame Paul. He changed course without telling anyone about it. Though I reckon there's better ways to go about it than whatever scheme Sylas has concocted. Okay, they're both at tremendous fault here. I'm rooting for Bart and Karmon at this point, though I'm not sure where Karmon stands right now.

And I'm wondering how the rock whisperer will react to the Ion...
    W E L P ! Looks like Paul's gone 100% insane!
    edited August 2017

Yep. Really enjoying this so far.

Maybe not 100%, but a solid 99.9. He had the initiative to change course to a more promising destination, but hadn't the sense to tell anyone about it. And then hooked an engineer for telling him that everybody would die.

So here's my over-analysis of these events: I reckon there's something else on 4546B that we have yet to hear about; something that would give Paul more incentive to chase after it, maybe even give Sylas incentive to try and stop him. Bart is well educated, perhaps the most educated person on both the Degasi and Blitz, and he can see nothing special about the planet save its titanium content.

The only problem with this is that Paul was whispering 84% under his breath. There are ways that this could work with the theory, but you have to do some elaborate tom foolery to make the pieces fit.

Maybe not 100%, but a solid 99.9. He had the initiative to change course to a more promising destination, but hadn't the sense to tell anyone about it. And then hooked an engineer for telling him that everybody would die.

So here's my over-analysis of these events: I reckon there's something else on 4546B that we have yet to hear about; something that would give Paul more incentive to chase after it, maybe even give Sylas incentive to try and stop him. Bart is well educated, perhaps the most educated person on both the Degasi and Blitz, and he can see nothing special about the planet save its titanium content.

The only problem with this is that Paul was whispering 84% under his breath. There are ways that this could work with the theory, but you have to do some elaborate tom foolery to make the pieces fit.

I believe he was muttering "84%" because if you combine the lithium and titanium content on the player it adds up to make 84% of the planet Plasteel materials.

I believe he was muttering "84%" because if you combine the lithium and titanium content on the player it adds up to make 84% of the planet Plasteel materials.

Yea, of course, but that complicates my theory about there being something more tot his. Him whispering that makes it sound like that is his sole intent when it comes to visiting 4546B, and that there isn't some deeper meaning behind this detour. I'm probably overthinking things, but it's fun to speculate :D
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Sorry for the delay, the next part should be up tomorrow.

Thanks for reading up 'til this point. :)
    edited August 2017
    Bart Torgal

If God truly does exist, he had to have had a hand in the past few days.

Nearly everything went in perfect accordance to what we had calculated. Not a single orbit was shaky, not a single poor weather spike, not a single engine problem. Everything was almost like a luxury space cruise. Only with a constant, looming thought that a single mistake could kill everyone aboard. Pleasurable flight, I know.

We were a mere 1,000 Mm. from hitting planet. Approximately 24 hours until planetfall. Our resource count was high, we had plenty of food, the nearby star, Alpha Hydrae 4, would do a phenomenal job of powering the ships depleting energy, and we had not yet reached the Line of Piracy. Things seem to finally be turning around for the better.

The only problem we had is that we have been unsuccessful at contacting The Blitz. After my father took us on his fool's errand, we had heard nary a peep from the ship. Most likely to our communications systems being damaged at our high velocity. But that wasn't looking to be the truth either, as we were able to send out an SOS to the nearest Phasegate dock with little trouble. The only other explanation that we were able to come up with is that they were attacked by pirates that had gotten bolder than they're borders. I only hope those mercenaries are okay.

I was in the engine room, calculating how many days we would need to stay planet-side, when my father walked in. He had become eerily quiet since his beating from Marguerit. My mother had taken care of him since then, bandaging him up (a little too much), staying by his side at all times, she even helped him go to the toilet (as he had refused to so for the last week.) It was admirable to see her continue to care for him, even though he had shown no guilt as to nearly killing her just a few days ago. She had such a strong love for him, it was almost fairytale-like. I wonder if Naheeda and I will be like that, with such an undying love for each other. I sincerely hope so.

Anyway, my father seemed to have aged ten years in the past ten days. His back had curved, as if he had been carrying around large weights on his back. His hair had lost its pearlescent white and had dulled to ashen gray. His eyes had lost their constant sharpness, like he was constantly expecting another deal to pounce at him from around a corner, and had become milky and unfocused. Even with the human race's advanced medicinal technology, we were still mortal. Just mortals who can live to upwards of 200 years. But my father seemed to be knocking on death's door. As angry as I was towards him, he was still my father, and I hoped he would make it through this adventure. When we returned home, Naheeda and I would personally take him to the best psychiatric help in the galaxy. He would get the help he so desperately needs.

My father shook me out of my thoughts with, "So, how are the engines running?" He whispered.

This was a surprise, as he seemed to abandon any form of communication for quite some time now. So him speaking now was borderline suspicious. "Uh, they're running perfectly. Everything has stabilized."

He simply nodded. We stood there in awkward silence for nearly 5 minutes when Marcus walked in. "Mr. Bart, we are within range of a full surface scan of the planet. We would like you to come have a look at this. It's...interesting to say the least."

"Oh, o-of course. Excuse me Father." I said. But I doubt my father even heard me. He stood there, staring, unwavering in this only action. I left without another word.

When I arrived at the Scanner Room, the few engineers were already hard at work gathering whatever intel they could about this mystery planet. Machines whirred, people scurried about, and the large holographic image whirled and dilated at the engineers will. It was a dizzying sight to behold. The other engineers called me over, almost squealing with joy, "Sir, this planet is not yet documented in any on-board databases. We believe that we have discovered a new planet!"

This was certainly intriguing. New planets were hard to come by, so finding one is like winning an Alterra lottery. Nearly impossible.

"Well, it seems my father's poor choice is starting to pay off. What shall we name this fine planet?" I said.

"We've discussed that, and, following the documenting laws of 2049, we have decided to name this planet 4546B and the nearby planetoid 4546A."

"Very well, a good name for documentary purposes, but what will we call it? 4546B doesn't really roll off the tongue." I said.

"Well, I think a fitting name for it would be Áfthona Hydros." Marcus said.

"Does the planet have water on it?" I said, puzzled.

"4546B is in fact, a water planet. Very little signs of land have been identified. This will make landing more than difficult, as scanners have not yet detected any portion of land big enough for the Degasi. Above or below water. There is a possibility this planet has no landmass at all."

"Hmm, that does complicate some things..."

"We'll keep searching the surface for any acceptable landing points. I'll update you the minute we find something."

"Good, steady on then."

I stared at the projection of the planet, searching for any signs of abnormality. But, nothing. Why did my father want to come here?

What secret does this orb of water hide?
    Now we can get the reason for it being 4546B. This hasn't really bothered me, but it must have other people.
    Thank you guys so much for more than 500 readers!

There's another chapter coming tomorrow. I think you're going to like this one. ;)