Recipe adjustments

WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
Buildable Windows

Quartz is an quite easy stuff to come by. It's usage was quite reduces since previous patches.

But when you want to create a base, quartz is a pain to get by. Sure you don't need a nice base, it's totally optional. A basic functional base require some storage, fabricator, optional food growbed (one small is enough), battery charger. It's very small. But the game offers you to build more fun stuff.

The problem is when you want to build a nice base with some view on the outside. you need windows and quatz cost is horrible !

If you want to window a circular room, you need 8*2*2 = 32 quartz and 24 to window a moonpool. A basic corridor need 12 quartz (sure you can build a full glass corridor for 2 glass.

Windows should only require 1 glass, not 2.

Cyclops and Prawn

I don't understand why cyclops and prawn are built without battery and you get 6 when it's built. Either, the cyclops should need 6 batteries, either it should be build without any and you need to provide some afterward.

Same for prawn

NB : Seamoth is OK, it needs a battery in the recipe

Tools

Many tools need a battery in their recipe but some don't
- Repair tool
- Beacon should need one as decoy do

Decoys

BTW
- why beacons are so big ?
- why can't we build them inside the cyclops ?

Aquarium and alien containment

Why the aquarium costs more than the alien containment, it should be 1 glass + 1 titan

Photo frame and label

Why copper ? Titan is fine for such a small stuff.

Lab trash can and nuclear plant

As it suppose to delete nuclear tube, lead should be included (4 ?)

BTW nuclear plant should ne much more lead

Medical fabricator

I never understood the need of that device, but the cost is awkward. 5 titane for such a little device ? And why the integrated circuit is needed as the communication relay don't even have one ?

The device should be removed as we can craft medkits in the fabricator. Don't give free medkits.

Comments

• TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited August 2017
    @Warzouz I'll heartily agree with you on MOST of your points...

1. The Cyclops spawning with six (SIX!) Power Cells, despite not needing them in the recipe or having the base materials either
    2. The Habitat Builder needing a Battery to operate, and yet it doesn't require one to be made (despite every other tool having that requirement)
    3. A Fire Extinguisher is Titanium x2 and Glass x2... but where does the coolant come from? The Subnautica Wiki claims it uses "CO2 cartridges" to fight fires, but that opens more questions - mainly that it should be rechargeable (especially since it's used often in the endgame, when resources to make them are scarce).
    4. The Water Filtration Machine... apparently just two Titanium is all it takes to work its magic! :smirk:
    Warzouz wrote: »
    Medical fabricator

I never understood the need of that device, but the cost is awkward. 5 titanium for such a little device ? And why the integrated circuit is needed as the communication relay don't even have one ?

The device should be removed as we can craft medkits in the fabricator. Don't give free medkits.

Them's fighting words, there! Don't you be touching my Medical Kit Fabricator! :angry:

Yeah, maybe it's a convenience to get """free""" First Aid Kits for minimal effort, and maybe it makes crafting First Aid Kits redundant - why stockpile materials for more kits when you'll just be handed them? But there's some major flaws with that logic:

1. In the early game you're very limited in base building and stockpiling resources. Just going out to the Kelp Forests for Creepvine Samples will likely get you attacked by Stalkers and Bleeders, making it a moot point as you'll use up your Kits just to heal your injuries. I've had times in the past where I was below 10% Health and had to wait for twenty minutes holed up in the Lifepod so I could heal up, just so I could resume exploring. Which brings me to my second point:

2. It takes thirty minutes (real-time) to get just one Kit! In the past you could deconstruct and rebuild Dispensers to stockpile infinite Kits. But you can't exploit it anymore as rebuilding the Dispenser 'resets' the internal timer and prevents excessive cheating.

3. The recipe doesn't seem all that unusual to me, in fact it's a bit more realistic than some other recipes. The Titanium is needed for the outer casing of the box, the door handle and latch, the hinges and the inner working mechanisms. The Fiber Mesh is used as the actual gauze that disinfects wounds and helps bind deep cuts, while it also helps promote healing (I would say though that a bottle of Bleach be added to the recipe, to help add to the actual healing factors). And the Computer Chip is what processes the materials into a functional Kit. Let's not forget about the Water Filtration Machine as a comparison. It's far larger than the Dispenser which needs more Titanium, and then there's the internal pipes, storage tanks for water and the filters and ionization relays. Are the developers seriously suggesting with all of that design and the sheer power consumption... it only needs TWO Titanium Ore to be made? Really? :astonished:

And to your comparison you made to the Communication Relay... that's just a bad example. The Chip is needed in the Dispenser, as it determines how much Mesh is needed per kit, and slowly processes the unusable Mesh into heal-worthy gauze. The Communication Relay is just a simple machine that relays communications, it's not a fully functional. Alterra designed them to send and receive messages from Lifepods (emergency situations). They're not meant to be used for interstellar communications with other starships, they're really closer to expensive walkie-talkies (they all operate on limited bandwidth channels, hence why we can pick up Warpers' communications when really we shouldn't be able to).

4. And finally, my whole reason for writing this post: When I'm exploring the world in the late game... I do NOT want to be scavenging back and forth between areas just for Creepvine Samples and Bleach! :angry: Whether I'm building up my base in the Grand Reef, further exploring my limits in the aggressive Deep Grand Reef, pushing the story along in the Lost River, or trying to make my way through the Lava Zones, I am NOT going to backtrack for several kilometers just so I can make a First Aid Kit, then drive back to where I was to press on.

"But Tark! You could just, I dunno, stockpile dozens of Bleach and Creepvine and just MAKE Kits as you need them!" We've been down that road before. Stockpiling fish and water in the Cyclops when you run out of food, or you accidentally eat your last Marblemelon instead of planting it. (oops...) Stockpiling Titanium and Glass to make more Fire Extinguishers, because the last Boneshark attack set the ship ablaze and the ship won't recharge them nor craft them from the special Fabricator. (Tell me, how can I craft infinite Pressure Compensators for no cost investment, yet I can't recharge a single Extinguisher on the wall...) :pensive: I have limited room on my Cyclops as I only want maybe six additonal Lockers, and I don't like having to carry around dozens of items in the off chance I might need them. So no, I'd rather have limited stocks of First Aid Kits on demand than overtax my submarine with marginally useless junk.

So in conclusion, TL;DR, I'll happily agree with any suggestion you offer to make recipes more practical, realistic and logic-inducing. Don't take what I said as a personal attack; it's just my opinion on the matter. But do not take away my Dispensers, or I will send Ghost Leviathans to surround your base and "persuade" you to change your mind. :wink:
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    Beacons aren't that big. And they can be built in the cyclops with a fabricator.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    Beacons aren't that big. And they can be built in the cyclops with a fabricator.

Beacon ? I meant Decoys
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited August 2017
    ♪ Beacon/Bacon
    Deacon/Decoy
    Let's call the whole thing off. ♪

B)
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    ...or you accidentally eat your last Marblemelon instead of planting it. (oops...)
    I stockpile a few Marblemelon Seeds when I reap one and only eat 2 or 1. Always keep extras of plants/seeds/etc in the lockers.