Talking about Performance - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageTalking about Performance - Subnautica

Performance, frame rate, FPS – When a game does not run fast enough, it’s hard to have fun. Subnautica doesn’t run fast enough right now, on either Steam or Xbox...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bumperoo to open comment thread
  • Rlightning15Rlightning15 Canada Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232275Members
    Can you add more food options please, like 2 chinese potatoes and 1 bulbotree = MRE. would love to see this get added before items stop being added, since you cant preserve fruit and it rots fast.
    I know it might not be doable but just wanted to throw this out here. Thank you and keep up the great work, you guys rock!
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    The game actually performs pretty well for me on my truly modest computer, but of course any improvement is more than welcome.
  • Felix1686Felix1686 Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232282Members
    for me the game performs well only if im in the mushroom tree biome it starts lagging so i try to stay away from it
  • londonsmartlondonsmart anderson south carolina Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230782Members
    so is the update out? or are we still waiting
  • YolDovahYolDovah Boreville Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227924Members
    Xbox needs optimizing so bad it's come to the point where its quicker using console command to get titanium then picking up the metal scrap outside my base because it freezes for about a minute everytime i enter my base or heaven forbid walk past a fucking ladder now i enter my base through the moonpool if i need to use the second floor like sort this crap out cause its bloody worse if im transitioning from one biome to another i've died from starvation when i was only 40ft away because the freezing and lag is so damn bad.

I love the game but i dont play subnautica to stay in the shallows i play it to explore even if there's nowhere new to explore which is why i'd love procedurally generated worlds.
  • WaterfallWaterfall Cherbourg/FR Join Date: 2016-03-27 Member: 214918Members
    The real problem is the constant loading of the map. It was supposed to be fixed by a fixed ground without terraforming. Is it finally done ?

Still great to hear this from the devs, it's something that a lot of people ask :)
  • conalykaconalyka Canada Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232087Members
    the game is amazing even with the lag, imagine without it

cant wait for the update,
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    edited August 2017
    I'm gonna miss the gene alteration stuff if it has to be scrapped (which is looking very likely), but just know that if you put it in the expansion I'd be super interested. That and an endless proc-gen Minecraft-style sandbox ocean would also be on my wishlist, though at this point that'd probably be a totally different game.

As it is though, your game is awesome and I make it very clear to people they need to check it out. You have unique design philosophies almost literally no other game is doing, particularly how you solve things in this game mostly without violence or attempting to force yourself on the environment. Optimization is absolutely where you should be focused, because getting more frames and getting less pop-in would make the experience blissful.
  • XautosXautos Join Date: 2017-07-31 Member: 232161Members
    Stuff like this is expected, after watching the early acess game going from strength to strength and learning about some of the mechanics behind it. i can see some pet features mentioned by Hugh getting into an expac, if what is on the trello board is right that is the direction UWE are going for subnautica, so it's not a big issue for developer or customer that the complete package didn't come in exactly, but it's nice that if UWE can finish within the expac and add a pile of new things it would only enhance the game significantally.

i've said this so often on the steam forum and i will mention it here, the UWE team have done a fantastic job with this game. i would love to see where it goes next!
  • chris88chris88 United Kingdom Join Date: 2017-07-30 Member: 232136Members
    Sounding good, can't wait to play this game. I've been putting my self off from getting it until the game is fully released. You guys continue working your magic
  • afknauticaafknautica Here Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221310Members
    Sounds really good.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Can you add more food options please, like 2 chinese potatoes and 1 bulbotree = MRE. would love to see this get added before items stop being added, since you cant preserve fruit and it rots fast.
    I know it might not be doable but just wanted to throw this out here. Thank you and keep up the great work, you guys rock!

I feel having craftable food is a mixed experience, at least for me. Being able to prepare food with stronger values vs just stockpiling salt and fish and carrying around cured fish all day long would be nice, but requests to make the Nutrient Block craftable would just defeat the purpose of needing to make food (the NB itself I feel should be reduced to just Food+25).

I would also like to see live fish stored in Lockers and storage areas without water to slowly rot and lose value. A live Peeper can stay in a Locker for over 100 gamedays and be perfectly fine, but an Old Dead Peeper stays in the same place for a gameday and it's Food-25 Water-25... How does one organism lives forever but the same one rots when they're in the exact same environment? :neutral:
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Waterfall wrote: »
    The real problem is the constant loading of the map. It was supposed to be fixed by a fixed ground without terraforming. Is it finally done ?

Still great to hear this from the devs, it's something that a lot of people ask :)

As far as I can tell, terraforming is still in the game. You normally can't do it in Survival now that base building doesn't reshape the terrain, but crashfish still cause terrain deformation when they explode and the terraformer still works in Creative. Hopefully when we get to performance optimization later this month they'll properly fix this one way or the other. Deformable terrain would be awesome if they can get the performance to an acceptable level (and add more stuff to actually take advantage of it), but with how limited the deformation is right now they could remove it completely and it wouldn't affect how I play the game at all.
  • LaserFaceLaserFace USA Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221235Members
    "Here, have an article that opens with a picture of all kinds of cool stuff! like a peeper waterbed and in game 'has a head on their body'" Oh good, progress must be getting made then- "Enjoy the view because we're cutting that."
  • OpinionsAreFunOpinionsAreFun Join Date: 2017-06-21 Member: 231244Members
    This is just like remember all that cool inovative things we were gonna make it's not gonna happen which is good right RIGHT
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    My only complaint is that we have to wait longer for our precious Cutefish. Forever Alone
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    When to H2.O update killed my frame rate I decided to get a new graphics card which boosted my frame rate to excessive levels. The last few updates have increased loading times, brought down the overall frame rate, and the massive lag going into a new biome is back. Good to see Subnautica is getting optimized!
  • MC4gammerMC4gammer Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232312Members
    I hope they will add the atlas model that someone made from concept art into a physical model that can be accesed I hope the devs would find a way to add that or someone could mod the game for it
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    MC4gammer wrote: »
    I hope they will add the atlas model that someone made from concept art into a physical model that can be accesed I hope the devs would find a way to add that or someone could mod the game for it

There's pretty much no chance of that model getting added unless its modded in or the entirety world gets remodeled.

Sorry about that

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    MC4gammer wrote: »
    They already said that the fanmade Atlas model couldn't be added to the game.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    jmuvzf3rkraf.png
    I tried

It's real...

tpvttt2yn7vj.gif
  • RyanKnight75RyanKnight75 Wichita, Ks Join Date: 2016-10-17 Member: 223204Members
    Personally I appreciate this post. I'm confident the release version will deliver an amazing experience on par with the scope we players have been lucky enough to enjoy thus far.

I do have one concern, and please don't take this the wrong way, I thoroughly enjoy the experience of this environment and game play style, but that this current map pretty small in light of playing and replaying. I spend a few weeks completing the final version of this game I'll have little reason to replay it.

I have waited decades for someone to design a game like this and for it to end and there be little reason to continue playing/replaying such a spectacular game.

I mean guys, this game is awesome both in execution and concept and I want to continue exploring this planet, both is shallows and its depths and ultimately enjoy it with others.

My sincere suggestion is, as a follow up expansion to this game, expand the map to true planet size, allow massive multiplayer, incorporate a trade economy, continuing quest chains, even a sandbox world, etc...

Having said all that, what this game is, even now, pre-full release, is well worth the $20. I'd be more than willing to drop $10/m for a WOW like Subnautica.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    I have a gtx 770 card, which is pretty much ancient by now, and the game has been giving me nice 40 FPS most of the time, except for heavy stutter whenever I entered a new area. I know this could be rectified somewhat by using an SSD, but as that's out of the question for me, I do hope the planned optimisations can fix this to some extent. And then there's the shroom forest biome... I don't really go there anymore. So yeah, I can absolutely get behind dropping some new features for optimisation. And hey, if the game's successful (and we all know it will be), whatever gets dropped now can be implemented in a post-1.0 patch, so win-win, really.