Give 1 point for moving (one time only)

peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
It is often hard to tell how many afks there are on the (opposite) team at start up.
It would be nice if you got 1 point for moving first time.
That way a score of 0 actually means afk.

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or make an actual afk indicator.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Shine's AFK kicker can mark players as AFK before the round starts. There are some arguments against having an AFK kicker active between rounds though.
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    I don't really care about AFKs as long as they're not assigned to a team. Sure, they use a server slot for nothing, and it's nice when the server auto-kicks AFKs after a reasonable time.
    The real problem is when AFKs are assigned to a team by Shuffle/Randomize ready-room/Force Even Teams because it breaks balance 90% of the time...

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Shine's AFK kicker can mark players as AFK before the round starts. There are some arguments against having an AFK kicker active between rounds though.

I don't like if you get kicked too fast, especially not between rounds... But an AFK marker is not the same as an AFK kicker. When a round starts, a non moving player could marked as AFK immediately.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I like the idea, since you know if someone is really afk at the start of the round... immediately... sometimes you reshuffle -> Round starts - and you know whether someone is just getting in position to play or just not there...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2017
    antou wrote: »
    I don't really care about AFKs as long as they're not assigned to a team. Sure, they use a server slot for nothing, and it's nice when the server auto-kicks AFKs after a reasonable time.
    The real problem is when AFKs are assigned to a team by Shuffle/Randomize ready-room/Force Even Teams because it breaks balance 90% of the time...

This is possible with shine. Ask your favorite server operator to enable it.
    https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/issues/627
    https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/commit/62c4de16aaaf3f729a965ce76e32d066ebb10ced
  • peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
    edited July 2017
    The reason for not suggesting a better AFK detector is that it is complicated.
    How long should you be away to AFK? 2 minutes?
    Does writing console prompt commands unmark you as AFK?
    Should everyone be marked as AFK from the beginning of a game?
    etc. etc etc.

What I suggested was simple, precise, easy to implement.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    pebl wrote: »
    It is often hard to tell how many afks there are on the (opposite) team at start up.

Ideally, this would have been followed in your proposal with a description of why it's important to be able to see how many AFKs there are on the opposite team at the start of the game.

Let's say there are two AFKs the instant the game begins. What do you immediately do as a member of the opposite team?