Give 1 point for moving (one time only)

peblpebl Advanced user Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members Posts: 43 Advanced user
It is often hard to tell how many afks there are on the (opposite) team at start up.
It would be nice if you got 1 point for moving first time.
That way a score of 0 actually means afk.

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Advanced user Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,082 Advanced user
    Or make an actual afk indicator.
    BeigeAlertBestProfileName.trixX.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Advanced user Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Posts: 440 Advanced user
    Shine's AFK kicker can mark players as AFK before the round starts. There are some arguments against having an AFK kicker active between rounds though.
    Owner of The Thirsty Onos servers
    Steam profile
    YouTube for NS2 stuff
    The_Welsh_Wizard
  • antouantou Advanced user France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members Posts: 68 Advanced user
    I don't really care about AFKs as long as they're not assigned to a team. Sure, they use a server slot for nothing, and it's nice when the server auto-kicks AFKs after a reasonable time.
    The real problem is when AFKs are assigned to a team by Shuffle/Randomize ready-room/Force Even Teams because it breaks balance 90% of the time...

.trixX.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Advanced user Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter Posts: 771 Advanced user
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Shine's AFK kicker can mark players as AFK before the round starts. There are some arguments against having an AFK kicker active between rounds though.

I don't like if you get kicked too fast, especially not between rounds... But an AFK marker is not the same as an AFK kicker. When a round starts, a non moving player could marked as AFK immediately.
    BlrgVetinari
  • HandschuhHandschuh Advanced user Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer Posts: 387 Advanced user
    I like the idea, since you know if someone is really afk at the start of the round... immediately... sometimes you reshuffle -> Round starts - and you know whether someone is just getting in position to play or just not there...
  • NordicNordic Advanced user Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 4,742 Advanced user
    edited July 2017
    antou wrote: »
    I don't really care about AFKs as long as they're not assigned to a team. Sure, they use a server slot for nothing, and it's nice when the server auto-kicks AFKs after a reasonable time.
    The real problem is when AFKs are assigned to a team by Shuffle/Randomize ready-room/Force Even Teams because it breaks balance 90% of the time...

This is possible with shine. Ask your favorite server operator to enable it.
    https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/issues/627
    https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/commit/62c4de16aaaf3f729a965ce76e32d066ebb10ced
    From my perspective UWE has been trying to both with what little resources they have given to the game. They don't have an AAA budget, let alone an indie game budget. They have the budget of a game that has been out 6 years. I want to say, don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing. I just don't think they have the resources to do it. Unlike many of the people on the forums, I guess I am just happy they are at least trying even though I may not like what they end up doing.
  • peblpebl Advanced user Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members Posts: 43 Advanced user
    edited July 2017
    The reason for not suggesting a better AFK detector is that it is complicated.
    How long should you be away to AFK? 2 minutes?
    Does writing console prompt commands unmark you as AFK?
    Should everyone be marked as AFK from the beginning of a game?
    etc. etc etc.

What I suggested was simple, precise, easy to implement.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue Posts: 920 mod
    pebl wrote: »
    It is often hard to tell how many afks there are on the (opposite) team at start up.

Ideally, this would have been followed in your proposal with a description of why it's important to be able to see how many AFKs there are on the opposite team at the start of the game.

Let's say there are two AFKs the instant the game begins. What do you immediately do as a member of the opposite team?
    TGNS Portal | NS2 side-by-side game viewer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    TG's win or lose mod that replaces the concede function is the best of both worlds and should be official.