Power Problems in Experimental (being resolved)

JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
EDIT: Current status 2017 Jun 28 Wed (Experimental 50182)

Most of the issues I noticed appear to be resolved except the Moonpool. It still doesn't recharge a Seamoth but does draw down base power, likely to brownout and blackout.

Thermal Plants, Bioreactors, and Nuclear Reactors all produce power.

Power Transmitter to Transmitter range is back up to what it was earlier.

The Battery and Powercell Chargers are recharging again.

The Water Filtration Machines appear to be reasonable in their power draw. 4 Thermal Plants, a Bioreactor, and a Nuclear Reactor almost offset 2 WFMs and see the charge only drop slowly.

I don't know for sure about other consumers. A medium size base (8 MFR, 2 Moonpools, 1 Glass Corridor, 3 Alien Containment) doesn't appear to have a major power impact.

EDIT: Also discussed in this reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/6jahhj/i_have_2_nuclear_reactors_and_33_solar_panels_and/

I'm currently having a number of issues with power. I'm playing in Experimental (currently 50064). I'd like it if players could check these in their Experimental and the current Stable games as well.

Considering the greater limitations on power in the Cyclops, this is very frustrating at my about midgame place. In a new game, I'd imagine finally putting in a Battery Charger and see it NOT charge Batteries would be crippling. And new bases easily going into brownout would be painful.

I started a new Experimental game on 2017 Jun 16 Friday and some of these problems don't exist for my older savegame.

1. Battery Chargers, Powercell Chargers, Moonpools, and the Cyclops Docking Bay do not charge Batteries or Powercells.

The workaround is use the Swim Charge Fins and the Seaglide to recharge Batteries. As well, the Seamoth Solar Charger Upgrade is the workaround for Powercells.

Could someone test the PRAWN and Cyclops Thermal Reactor Upgrades in Stable and Experiment as well?

Remaining problems don't exist in old construction in the old savegame. In new savegames and likely with new construction in old savegames, they will break as follows.

2. Bases now easily brownout from just adding one running Water Filtration Machine. Maybe other cases.

I have now 24 Solar Panels right at the surface on a Foundation. The base includes 1 Glass Corridor, 7 MPRs, 2 Moonpools, and 3 Alien Containments in a stack. And 2 Water Filtration Machines currently stopped due to being full of Salt and Large Filtered Water. Runs fine with full power showing 6000 charge.

Pull out one Large Filtered Water and the base browns out during the day and blacks out at night.

At the start of the week (Jun 19 Monday) this used to run fine with both WFMs going with just 12 Solar Panels.

Because I have a Cyclops and using the added Fabricator on the Cyclops doesn't cost charge, I have a workaround for now.

When troubleshooting this problem, I tried to add in the Thermal Plants on the geyser at about -100,-30,-450 that I had in my old savegame. Found out issues similar to what @Sorien found in his topic "Issue with Connecting Multiple Thermal Generators".

3. Thermal Plants placed in about 60 Celsius water give no power.

On that geyser, even when apparently connected to my base, the Thermal Plants have 0/250 charge on mouse-over and provide no power to the base.

To be sure, I also went down to a black smoker in the Grand Reef and made a test base: 1 Foundation with 1 Glass Corridor, 1 Hatch, and 1 Thermal Plant on the Foundation (to avoid possible Power Transmitter bugs below) in 60 Celcius water. Power in base was showing as 0/250, same as on the Thermal Plant mouse-over.

4. Power Transmitters have a shorter Transmitter-to-Transmitter range in the new construction versus the old savegame.

This may be intended.

5. Power beams only show up when placing the Power Transmitter (but are hard to see then, often off-screen) and when power is flowing.

This is what @Sorien was experiencing. It makes sorting out power problems harder.

Comments

• Arazer19Arazer19 Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231333Members
    Yup, haven't played in a month, updated subnautica just yesterday and started a new game.

Got the bioreactor blueprint... Bioreactor doesn't work.

Got the battery charger blueprint... Battery Charger doesn't work.

Got the Power cell charger blueprint... Power cell charger doesn't work.

This is super frustrating, I don't have any other power source besides solar panels, because I haven't unlocked the other sources and the bioreactor isn't doing a thing... Just got the moonpool blueprint but if what your saying is true about the moonpool, than my seamoth now became just another sap on resources... Not even gonna bother with the cyclops if I can't charge it's power cells... At this point it's not even worth playing anymore, and I was really looking forward to this new update... I feel like everything I build is just showing me a big troll face...

I really hope this get's fixed ASAP, as Subnautica is really the only game that interests me right now, but it's really frustrating to play when all of the best equipment has been rendered useless...
    edited June 2017
    Also wanted to ask, have you tried the Stable build? If so, are these things still working in the stable build? Because if they are, i'll just revert to stable until these things have been fixed.

EDIT: Reverted to stable build, tested the bioreactor and battery charger, they seem to be working fine, just gonna have to wait till they fix those issues before going back to experimental.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Thanks, @Arazer19 for mentioning about the Bio Reactor not working. I suspect the Nuclear Reactor and many other power sources and sinks are affected too.
    Arazer19 wrote: »
    Also wanted to ask, have you tried the Stable build? If so, are these things still working in the stable build? Because if they are, i'll just revert to stable until these things have been fixed.
    I'm going to stick with Experimental. I don't want to switch to Stable and start a new game. And I don't know for sure how things would go if I try to run my current Experimental game on Stable, even if I clear the cache.

And I'd like to see how fast UWE can fix this.

I likely have enough tools to work around this for now. I have plants to get food and water. Backing that up I had a triple Ailen Containment full of Reginalds and a lot of stockpiled water. I have the Swim Charge Fins and the Seamoth Solar Charger. And I have the added Fabricator on the Cyclops to do most things.

And I can always use console commands as the ultimate work around. Can't use Water Filtration Machines: create Salt and Large Filtered Water. Can't recharge Batteries and Powercells: throw low-charge ones in a Trash Can and create new ones.

The only thing that would cause me problems is making a non-test base deep enough that Solar Panels won't work. I won't likely do that until I've explored the Lost River thoroughly and that's likely a ways off.
    No problem man, and if you wouldn't mind dropping me a pm whenever these things are fixed in experimental, I would greatly appreciate, that is if you remember too, if not i'll like check in a few days time. :wink:
    I was just doing a test to troubleshoot a problem for someone on the Subnautica reddit and accidentally deleted not a test game but my latest savegame with all these power issues.

Oh bother.

Never fdisk after midnight or any other equivalent task. It's asking for trouble.

Will recreate my progress up to this point in a new savegame with a LOT of console commands. But building my base and kitting out the Cyclops is going to take a while, even when generating mats via console command. Sigh.
  • Terry_McGinnisTerry_McGinnis United States Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231360Members
    Speaking of power problems; since I updated to the experimental I can't get any power to any of my 4 bases without solar panels... Of which only 2 bases are in the shallow enough area to get sunlight. D= Nuclear reactors, bio reactors, and thermal generators don't work anymore.
    Speaking of power problems; since I updated to the experimental I can't get any power to any of my 4 bases without solar panels... Of which only 2 bases are in the shallow enough area to get sunlight. D= Nuclear reactors, bio reactors, and thermal generators don't work anymore.
    I've been following some topics on the Subnautica subreddit about this; added a link to the main one in this topic's OP. Seems all power sources except the Swim Charge Fins and the Solar Recharge and Thermal Reactor Upgrades are affected.

The Moonpool still technically charges, but it's not behaving properly. As a test, I docked my Seamoth with a Powercell at 68% charge. At night took a 24-Solar-Panel 6000 charge base into blackout without completely recharging. Which means of course you can't undock the Seamoth. Removing the Powercell didn't help as there was nothing coming from the panels. At sunrise got enough power from the panels to go back to brownout and the Powercell charged back up to 100% and the base left brownout.
    edited June 2017
    Some of the power bugs have been fixed in Experimental build 50157.

Thermal Plants, Bioreactors, and Nuclear Reactors all are back to producing power.

Power Transmitter to Transmitter range is no longer short and appears to be back where it was before.

Others haven't been fixed yet.

Battery Chargers and Powercell Chargers still aren't recharging. I disassembled and recreated a Battery Charger just to be sure and it still didn't work.

At least Water Filtration Machines are still consuming far too much power. In a base with 24 Solar Panels and 4 Thermal Pants with a max charge of 7000 and about 6800 current charge, 2 WFM drew the base into brownout. When that happens, only 1 of the 2 WFM has progress on its water production. Adding in a Bioreactor and a Nuclear Reactor still didn't give enough power even during the day to bring the base out of brownout. Many times at night, would dip into blackout.
    Current status Experimental 50182

Most of the issues I noticed appear to be resolved except the Moonpool. It still doesn't recharge a Seamoth but does draw down base power, likely to brownout and blackout.

Thermal Plants, Bioreactors, and Nuclear Reactors all produce power.

Power Transmitter to Transmitter range is back up to what it was earlier.

The Battery and Powercell Chargers are recharging again.

The Water Filtration Machines appear to be reasonable in their power draw. 4 Thermal Plants, a Bioreactor, and a Nuclear Reactor almost offset 2 WFMs and see the charge only drop slowly.

I don't know for sure about other consumers. A medium size base (8 MFR, 2 Moonpools, 1 Glass Corridor, 3 Alien Containment) doesn't appear to have a major power impact.
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    Jacke wrote: »

According to the changelog and after i tested XP 50366 it seems that this is fixed now.