Move it warper

SwimJimSwimJim Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226000Members
The warper is between me and exploring further down the cave. I do not want to abandon my search. I cannot go around, the tunnel is too small really. Any alternate path would only be similar with danger. I proceed despite the danger. The reinforced dive suit is no help. I die and loose a PRAWN in the icy depths. Next time I will try going out into the freezing water and using a repulsor.

I need to learn/experience more about survival at 900m below using only a dive suit and seaglide. I think it starves and dehydrates fast but that's it.

I wonder how many floaters it would take to float a PRAWN that's 900m deep. If I have to use a recovery vehicle that might be helpful. Depth is probably not a floater factor though.

Any recovery option ideas? Just for the fun of doing a recovery that is.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    That's what a Cyclops is good for. Just use silent running to get past those River Prowlers.

Against Warpers, use a Propulsion Cannon, pick up anything and throw it at its head. Anything works, even another fish, though Quartz seems to be still the most effective ammunition.
  • akro1akro1 Join Date: 2017-06-19 Member: 231172Members
    Would luring it away then using a Stasis rifle on it work? That's how I deal with Warpers, damn shame your Prawn got dropped 900 meters down. The cyclops could work as a recovery vehicle if it fits. Grappling or dual grappling would make climbing the prawn out of wherever it is a breeze. I've heard you only need to drive the Cyclops over a vehicle to pick it up, although I haven't tried it myself.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    This brings to mind: It would be incredibly awesome if there was a Seamoth module that allowed it to "carry" the Prawn.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    That's what a Cyclops is good for. Just use silent running to get past those River Prowlers.

Against Warpers, use a Propulsion Cannon, pick up anything and throw it at its head. Anything works, even another fish, though Quartz seems to be still the most effective ammunition.

Quartz? I've always used deep shrooms. They do more damage and THERE'S FREAKING LOADS of them.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Quartz? I've always used deep shrooms. They do more damage and THERE'S FREAKING LOADS of them.
    Quartzs is reusable. Shoot it, pick it up, shoot again. Saves fiddling with the loading interface, especially useful when you're busy dodging things.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Quartzs is reusable. Shoot it, pick it up, shoot again. Saves fiddling with the loading interface, especially useful when you're busy dodging things.

Good point. I don't use it because I thought it didn't fly as far.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Isn't this their like, official theme?

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I thought we were supposed to use the Drill Arm against the Warpers? Isn't that what it's for?
    garath wrote: »
    I thought we were supposed to use the Drill Arm against the Warpers? Isn't that what it's for?

I'm not quite following your logic...

If that was sarcasm, I didn't quite catch it.

The Drill Arm can be used as a weapon.

Yes, yes it can. However, its purpose is for drilling rocks. It's a drill. You drill stuff with it. The purpose of a shovel is for digging holes. it can be used as a weapon (e.g. trench warfare) but you still dig with it. ANYTHING can be used as a weapon. Heck, I could chuck my "LENOVO Ideapad flex 4 - 1570 Signature edition" (the laptop I am writing this on) at you, but then I would have wasted about 300$.
    edited June 2017

Yes, yes it can. However, its purpose is for drilling rocks. It's a drill. You drill stuff with it. The purpose of a shovel is for digging holes. it can be used as a weapon (e.g. trench warfare) but you still dig with it. ANYTHING can be used as a weapon. Heck, I could chuck my "LENOVO Ideapad flex 4 - 1570 Signature edition" (the laptop I am writing this on) at you, but then I would have wasted about 300$.

If you are drilling rocks in your PRAWN and are attacked by a Warper, are you gonna keep drilling rocks, or are you gonna drill the Warper?!? Seriously.

http://bfy.tw/6Bc

If you are drilling rocks in your PRAWN and are attacked by a Warper, are you gonna keep drilling rocks, or are you gonna drill the Warper?!? Seriously.

If you are attacked by a warper in your PRAWN, you won't be in the PRAWN anymore, now will you?
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members

If you are attacked by a warper in your PRAWN, you won't be in the PRAWN anymore, now will you?

It's a simple matter to dodge their teleport attack.
    edited June 2017

The last time I played and engaged with a Warper, I managed 3-4 separate strikes (with the Warper moving out of range in between strikes) with the Drill Arm before the Warper ran away. During the entire encounter, I remained in the PRAWN suit and was never teleported out of it. I'm not saying ALL my encounters with Warpers have gone so well. Frequently, I'm teleported out of my Seamoth and then almost drown before can find the darn thing again!! I'm kinda thinking maybe the Warper only uses its attack at range and if you close to melee range, then you can't be hit by his teleport attack. But I just don't know.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members

The last time I played and engaged with a Warper, I managed 3-4 separate strikes (with the Warper moving out of range in between strikes) with the Drill Arm before the Warper ran away. During the entire encounter, I remained in the PRAWN suit and was never teleported out of it. I'm not saying ALL my encounters with Warpers have gone so well. Frequently, I'm teleported out of my Seamoth and then almost drown before can find the darn thing again!! I'm kinda thinking maybe the Warper only uses its attack at range and if you close to melee range, then you can't be hit by his teleport attack. But I just don't know.

He can and definitely will use a teleport shot on you at point blank range, but probably only under threat of imminent harm. One 'ported directly in front of my speeding Seamoth once, and I had just enough time to see it materialize right outside the canopy before it zapped me out. Presumably it then got hit by my coasting Seamoth, and teleported somewhere else due to the damage.

Your anecdote and my recent experience are starting to make me think that 4 is a magic number for the Warper. I had one "camping" a herd of Sea Treaders I wanted to farm for Copper. He was literally circling their legs; there was absolutely no way at all to get to the copper. He moved right along with them, despite popping in and out every few seconds.

I got tired of this, so I went and got my Propulsion Cannon and a pack full of tank-bred Crashfish. I patiently waited for him to be at least half a bodylength from the Treaders (don't want to hurt those guys), and to be "recently appeared". Then I took careful aim and shot a hand grenade fish in his face. Four times.

Each time, he'd take the hit, then teleport away. He'd come back in about 10 or 15 seconds, and I'd hit him again. After the 4th time, when he teleported out, much to my shock, he didn't come back. First time I've ever seen a Warper do this.

Personally I think 4 bombs to the face should kill just about everything but the Sea Dragon, but at least I could get my copper... even if the fish and cannon take up so much space I could barely carry any. Sigh. Sometimes you lose even though you win with this game...
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited July 2017
    In Propulsion Cannon tests, I tried using tank-bred Crashfish but my aim is too crap; damn bulky 2x2 ammo as well. Also tried Gaspods; aim still crap and tricky to gather too. I'd suggest if you've got the aim use Quartz.
  • NorthernBruceNorthernBruce Canada Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231544Members
    I always go on the offensive if I see them near me by either zapping them with the Seamoth field Perimeter Defense and ramming them or getting out and shooting them with the Stasis Rifle and then using a knife from behind. Both methods seem to make them disappear or at least move further away from me. May take a couple of runs to persuade them to go away.

Getting out of and subsequently losing the Seamoth in the dark is a major hurdle. I've found that using the yellow highlight in the Ping manager on the PDA helps. Also, I always leave the headlights on so that I can identify where the light source is by looking at the shadows and trace it back to the Seamoth. I wish the "clearance/parking lights" on it were brighter...
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited July 2017
    As I understand it, you can't kill a Warper. All you can do is temporarily discourage it with an attack, at which point it warps away.
    Getting out of and subsequently losing the Seamoth in the dark is a major hurdle. I've found that using the yellow highlight in the Ping manager on the PDA helps. Also, I always leave the headlights on so that I can identify where the light source is by looking at the shadows and trace it back to the Seamoth. I wish the "clearance/parking lights" on it were brighter...

If there were ONE THING I would change about Subnautica, it's the fact that the headlights on the Seamoth don't glow and no matter how brightly you paint it, it'll look like any other background bioluminescence if it's dark enough. They should work more like the headlights on the Cyclops in that regard.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    The Warper should be killable. They aren't invincible and the precursors aren't around to fix them up again. This would enable us to explore areas like the Sea Treaders path wreck without the constant worry of death. I've been killed 3 or 4 times by Warpers and had to seaglide my way back from the shallows. It's a pain. It's pretty unrealistic that the warper is invincible.