[Bug] Adding to base closes all bulkheads [32411 Machinery Update]

cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
Every time I add anything to a base, all bulkheads in the base are suddenly closed. I really like using them to reinforce larger bases, and it gets really annoying to have to reopen them all. Especially because of how long the animations take.

I created a short video showing it happening: https://youtube.com/watch?v=j20FYsHenrI

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Ive experienced this bug before the machinery update and reported it ingame using f8 at the time. since then i barely used any bulkhead doors in bases since the opening/closing anims tends to get old pretty quick for me as well. as i can see, it looks like its not been fixed yet
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    This would be the perfect time to add a central control console that can open/close all the doors at once.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    The old bug with 'not openable' doors still present after adding (in my case) scanroom. Disassembling a few doors some time can help and past few doors i can open again.
    About 'control console' - good idea will be to add (as on Cyclop) lighting switch and ADD ABILITY TO LIGHT 'EAT' the power (in both case - on Cyclop and on base)
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    So more than a year and this still happens. This basically makes bulkhead doors completely useless. Is there any intent to look into fixing this?
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    ...I'm not sure y'all understand the point of bulkheads. They reinforce the base but they also keep flooding contained to the area beyond it. If they're open all the time and something causes your base to flood, then the whole base will flood. Their normal state IS closed.

Placing reinforcements inside a multipurpose room on either side of an entrance or hallway gives +14 base strength per reinforcement, and you can walk freely past them without having to play an animation each time.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    I don't believe this is a bug. I think what is happening is when you add new pieces to your base the game has to itemize and save that data so once you close down the game or leave the general area, the game still remembers what you have. A similar thing happens with the moonpool, when you add base pieces whatever is in the moonpool will go through the docking animation. This same thing occurs when you boot up a save file.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    edited June 2017
    I agree that this is a symptom of the entire base resetting itself. The problem is that it resets to a state other then the one I put it in. With the moonpool, even though it goes through the animation it ends in the same state you left it in. It doesn't drop your Seamoth out into the ocean, for instance. The bulkheads are not doing that.

@baronvonsatan from a gameplay perspective, this is horrible. The animation to open/close a bulkhead takes what feels like forever. I could waste hours just trying to close all bulkheads behind me. Even in real subs they don't keep all the bulkheads closed. They're there to shut off parts of the ship in an emergency. Under normal operation keeping them closed would slow everyone down so much that it would actively put the ship in danger.

The point is that the game should put them back into the state the player chose to put them in. Resetting them like this makes them painful to use and basically breaks an entire component of base building. Being able to use bulkheads is also nice because it allows me to put windows in where I would otherwise have to put in reinforcements just to keep the base together.