Custom game mode

MidassiMidassi Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227942Members
Currently, there are limited game modes (Survival, Freedom, Hardcore, Creative).
However, they provide only a small subset of the possible combinations of settings.
My preference, for example, would be "Freedom" but without aggressive creatures, but this is unavailable at the moment.

So it would be great to have a "custom game mode", where you are able to pick among the available options to create a game mode according to your own preference:

- Food required
- Water required
- Oxygen required
- Oxygen warning
- Aggressive creatures
- Blueprints required
- Energy consumption
- Permadeath
- Item loss
- Player damage
- Vehicle damage
- Story

The existing game modes would be just the most common "presets" of the above.

Comments

• SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    The preset list is hardcore minus the oxygen (which can bug and be seen inside the mode)
  • VoutareVoutare Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227314Members
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    The preset list is hardcore minus the oxygen (which can bug and be seen inside the mode)

You didn't understand the suggestion.
    The suggestion is that for all these points the player can make a own decision. (at the start of a savegame)

For example: I want to start a game with oxigen, no oxigen warning but without water and without aggresive creatures etc.
  • MidassiMidassi Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227942Members
    Exactly. When starting a new "custom" game, all points listed above would be presented to the player as checkboxes.

Although some combinations wouldn't make sense (like permadeath activated but all damage/O2/hunger options turned off), but they still shouldn't break anything when chosen.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I'd really like the ability to disable item loss. Support.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    edited February 2017
    Hopefully some day we'll be able to add "Natural Disasters" or "Weather" to this list.

Also beneath all of these options a bar that tells you how hard you're making it for yourself.

For example if you disable food and water and oxygen then the bar would be very very low, down in the yellows, but if you were to include all of that, and add hardcore death, and up the creature aggressiveness to the highest, it would be up in the red.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    This should be set so checking the story option will turn off things like fast growth, no player and sub/Prawb damage. It will also turn on oxygen, item loss, blue prints require (basically anything that counts as cheating) (It doesn't mess with food and water). Or maybe this custom mode can be a mode you get after beating the game.
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    edited June 2017
    Hi

I read at this moment Tarkannen's post

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2351533/#Comment_2351533

Then i found your topic here in the Ideas forum. I had also the same idea long time ago, because in the SN forums i can see one big community problem: there are mainly two kind of groups, the "casual gamers" and the "hardcore gamers". I don't like this descriptions, but you know what i mean.

For that problem i see two different possible solutions:

1. New game modes, maybe "Survival Hard". The current "Survival" will then renamed to "Survival Standard", whatever. The same then for "Hardcore" and for "Freedom".
    2. The possibility to setup a custom game for the existing game modes. So every player can setup his personal game mode.

After the last weeks i prefer the second solution, like yours. The problem is, i don't know how complex this would be to build in. But i think this can be a valuable addition to the game, because it will give the following benefits:

1. The endless and contraproductive discussions between casual gamers and hardcore gamers about new features or changes which affects the gameplay of one of this groups positively or negatively is over.
    2. The hardcore gamers can configure Subnautica to their personal "realistic" survival game with lot of challenges. Because for them "realism" and "challenges" are part of the fun.
    3. The casual gamers can configure Subnautica to their personal "fun" survival game without all the realism management. Because they want "water, sun and fun".
    4. There are much more than simply "harcdore gamers" and "casual gamers" and they all have the chance to setup their personal Subnautica experience.

I think this can attract a lot of gamers and i think both fractions are happy to get "their" personal game. ^^
  • akro1akro1 Join Date: 2017-06-19 Member: 231172Members
    I think it's a great idea, and it preserves the existing modes while giving players custom tailored difficulty experiences.
    Exactly, the existing game modes could remain (and would be just fixed presets of the custom options), and the additional "custom mode" would allow free choice among all available options.

I assume that internally there alread is a flag for most of those options, so just revealing those flags to the interface could be not that difficult.

I would love to hear some feedback from the devs about this...
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    +1 for custom gamemodes
  • DiverDadBradDiverDadBrad Join Date: 2017-06-21 Member: 231240Members
    Oh I just had an idea for an additional option, the need to sleep or you get tired and you don't swim as fast (Maybe even make this part of hardcore by default)
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    @DragoWhooves cant be in hardcore (or any modes) if we dont start straight up with the bed unlock
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    @DragoWhooves cant be in hardcore (or any modes) if we dont start straight up with the bed unlock

how about a bedroll? like a sleeping bag, doesn't restore energy as quickly as a proper bed
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    edited June 2017
    Midassi wrote: »
    I would love to hear some feedback from the devs about this...

The only thing we (players) can do, is to show players this topic. After my "bump" your topic got 7 more voices. I mean, this is a suggestion with a win-win-situation for all players.

I write the most of my programs with that concept that the user can configure much as possible. And for users which don't want manage dozens of options they can simply select predfined profiles in some of my programs. My point of view: to have the choice not to use an existing option is much better than not to have this option.
    Anyone else who would be interested in a custom game mode?
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Yea.

I personally would like the idea of a custom game where i can set whatever settings I want. Seems like itd be fun.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Yes. I have no problem with this idea. Ark does it. Subnautica should too.
    Would be nice to get a dev feedback on this...
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members
    Id like this, currently the closest to playing the kind of gamemode I want is by going into freedom, and using the invisible cheat to (kind of) make everything passive