Add a sub mid-cyclops/seamoth

TheStarTrekFanTheStarTrekFan Join Date: 2017-05-12 Member: 230437Members
I find the Cyclops VERY helpful as a mobile base. But what if there was an inbetween sub between Seamoth and Cyclops? It would have a walkable interior, Moonpool connection and have upgrades. You could use this while searching for fragments. It would like sort of like the shuttle from Star Trek.

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I've been thinking that the game needs a sub like the one you described as well. Even if the walkable interior was just the size of a single corridor section, it would still be enough space for a lot of useful things like a fabricator, plant pot, battery charger, and lockers.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    edited June 2017
    Originaly, there was supposed to be "two small subs, two medium-sized subs, and one or two large subs. [..] Ultimately, the Cyclops, prioritized for its "civilian" look, took up so much time that more subs that don't truly add new gameplay were considered a bad investment of resources and scrapped." ( source : http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicles#Trivia )

So almost 0% to see another subs, even if everyone would love that.

Edit : You may be interested to see these : https://trello.com/c/d8xF87k8/11-jetpack
    https://trello.com/c/d5EIBbi9/174-buildable-teleporter-room-prototype
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    edited June 2017
    I don't really see a need for another, and in term of dev time, it would be a waste to make a Submarine that is only used until you get the Cyclop

However a cheap dingy boat (and putting the Seaglide further) could be very useful to explore the Aurora early game (and before it explode)
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    I like the dinghy idea. It would fit perfectly with standard survival blueprints you could have from the start.

The use case I see for a mid sized sub isn't a stop-gap until the Cyclops is ready, but rather a sub that can easily navigate the blood kelp trenches and lost river that has more storage and utility than the Seamoth.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    The use case I see for a mid sized sub isn't a stop-gap until the Cyclops is ready, but rather a sub that can easily navigate the blood kelp trenches and lost river that has more storage and utility than the Seamoth.

A sub that could fall just between the seamoth and the cyclops could be really cool.
    Should it be in size (space to walk, have space to place a fabricator and 3 or 4 wall lockers)
    Maneuverable / speed : Again, slower than the seamoth, but faster than the cyclops not only in speed but in maneuverability.
    Energy : It should store more than 1 (2 cells maybe ?)
    Durability and noise : It could be turned off for no noise / aggro. On should get a small aggro range. More resistant than the seamoth but way less than the cyclops.

Obviously, like every subs, a upgrade panels should be avalaible.
    The commun upgrades should work, a way to restore energy and a small defensive upgrade.

That cover the main points.
  • Obi_WanObi_Wan Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230216Members
    I wish, we had a Multi Role ROV for the Cyclops... With Arms for Drilling or Repair the Cyclops, if you cant get out at the Moment...
  • akro1akro1 Join Date: 2017-06-19 Member: 231172Members
    Obi_Wan wrote: »
    I wish, we had a Multi Role ROV for the Cyclops... With Arms for Drilling or Repair the Cyclops, if you cant get out at the Moment...

That would be great, maybe an upgrade of the scanner probes. In addition extra little quality of life fixes like a repair/scanner arm for the prawn or a scanner attachment for the seamoth.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    a minisub would be nice, maybe even make it dockable in the cyclops