900+ depth base suggestions?

QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
I'm sure everyone has their own way of living on planet 4546B, but I just make one base near the Aurora and travel everywhere I need to go in the Seamoth or Cyclops. Now that I'm spending more time in the LR, ILZ, and ALZ I thought having a second base of operations would be a more efficient use of time. I want to be able to keep the Cyclops and Prawn in the deeper biomes and use the Seamoth to quickly travel abroad. My question is where would be a good place to setup shop around the 850ft range with enough room to leave the Cyclops parked, some room for a Moonpool and a few multi-purpose rooms, and that is clear of dangerous creatures?

Comments

• gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    It sounds like you're looking for the Tree Cove. It's at the end of the LR right before you enter the ILZ.

You get a giant cavern free of hostile creatures (the only things that spawn are the ghost rays), several thermal vents for powering the base, and the top of the cavern is above 900m so you can bring a Seamoth down in there.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    It sounds like you're looking for the Tree Cove. It's at the end of the LR right before you enter the ILZ.

You get a giant cavern free of hostile creatures (the only things that spawn are the ghost rays), several thermal vents for powering the base, and the top of the cavern is above 900m so you can bring a Seamoth down in there.

That's pretty much the only "safe zone" in the LR or nearby biomes. Just be aware that some players suffer a significant framerate hit in the Tree Cove. If it's too severe, you can back up to the ILZ slope chamber. There are a few hostiles, but it's not too bad, plus there's an abundance of thermal vents there as well.
  • QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
    Awesome! Thanks for the ideas fellas!
  • winerdarwinerdar Join Date: 2017-02-22 Member: 228141Members
    I made a nice base in the LR junction once. The whole base was around 850 meters with no hostiles, decent frame rates, and plenty of open space. I didn't use thermal since I am about for nuclear power
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    gamer1000k wrote: »

I've got a recharging base located in the next "room" right next to the drop off it's a little deep for the Seamoth, but I park it on the ceiling and swim down.

I just built another right near the entrance inside the ILZ on a cliff edge. I've got a long vertical tube that extends down and connects with a moonpool that is easier for the Prawn to enter.
  • Amazing_AquacatAmazing_Aquacat North Texas Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230676Members
    winerdar wrote: »
    I made a nice base in the LR junction once. The whole base was around 850 meters with no hostiles, decent frame rates, and plenty of open space. I didn't use thermal since I am about for nuclear power

I just built my first nuclear powered base and had to redo it because the thrumming of the plant drove me nuts. The solution was to build off a second multiroom just for power.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    winerdar wrote: »

I just built my first nuclear powered base and had to redo it because the thrumming of the plant drove me nuts. The solution was to build off a second multiroom just for power.

Okay, good; I thought I was being over-sensitive about the noise.

Personally, I always build a seabase in cylinder format (stacked multipurpose rooms), with all of the physical plant parts - water purifiers, power systems, etc. - in a cylinder that I only need to occasionally visit.
    I tend to favor a hub and spoke formation, but it's all terrain and location dependant. Right before and in the ILZ I've got moonpools setup at different vertical heights. Before the ILZ I built a moonpool high enough to accommodate a seamoth and a second one for a prawn. Just inside the ILZ I built my base on top of an arch and have a vertical tube going down with a T-intersection connecting to a moonpool for a prawn. I know those bases are REALLY close together, but I wanted a place to completely recharge due to lava lave leaching my power.

I'm starting to build recharge bases in strategic locations of various sizes to recharge, provide food and water.