Railguns

1235»

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    .trixX. wrote: »
    A bunch of marines shooting at the big monster in the room requires this,
    "everybody shoot the onos and when he runs, push him."

And that's still too difficult for most people

But.. but... THERE ARE CYSTS ON THE FLOOR! OOOH THE HORROR!

Fact: Cysts can instakill you if you dont look at them. Never turn your back on them.

@Vetinari Is someone getting this game confused with Prey?

Nope, but now that you mention it, a gloo gun would be really damn useful against fades.

God that'd be infuriating to be the fade though...
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    How about a gloo/foam gun that's essentially a marine clog wall?
    First *pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffbt* everywhere, and then the fade trap is set :)
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    At the current game balance railgun is the most powerfull siege weapon (often even more effective than ARCs) and potentially it's the most powerfull weapon to fight against alien lifeforms except onos... So yes railgun is a bit OP in a proper hands and potentially rail can rape entire alien team if no onos present.

I see two things which can nerf railgun enough while still remain them efficient:
    1) Greatly reduce the damage which railgun inflict on lower levels of charge so it will be more profitable to shoot on the highest level of charge only and also won't let instant lerk kill. For example, remain damage of fully heated rail the same (173) but make 90 of its damage producible only if charge level reach 90%. And reduce basic damage from 33 to 13.
    2) Disallow railgun shot from penetrating several buildings. That won't allow to focus lifeforms which hide behind the structures nor kill em accidentally. Also that will reduce railgin's siege potential so he can not make 1000 structure damage per shot when shooting for example though usual chain like Crag -> Hive -> Shell.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I don't think penitration should be removed... maybe nerfed 2 or 3 entities max
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    I don't think penitration should be removed... maybe nerfed 2 or 3 entities max

IIRC it loses dmg with each entity penetrated so a limit is not really necessary.
    edited May 2017
    How about not letting it penitrate marines and marine structures?

Shooting through a skulk and killing the skulk on the other side makes sense. But how does it go through a marine or armory and not do damage?

This would save that skulk bitting the CC and force railgun to expose themselves to get clear shots. This would increase the "skill" needed to maneuver s bit.

You could even have a cool effect where when a railgun hits a marine structure it kinda flashes/splashes green like it's being absorbed/diffused to give player feedback that it's not penitrating
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    I don't think it passes through teammates. At least I cannot deal dmg through marines... EVER. xD
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    .trixX. wrote: »
    I don't think it passes through teammates. At least I cannot deal dmg through marines... EVER. xD

I think it does. I think I've shot through other exos before. If it doesn't, I don't know what's wrong with my eyes.
    I feel like shooting through another exo is a 80/20 chance... but I definitely shoot through exo/rines, especially when that onos charges. I get annoyed when the mini gun doesn't take lead since I can shoot through him...
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    so what will happen if you shoot through an exo that is piloted by a skulk?
    Mephilles wrote: »
    so what will happen if you shoot through an exo that is piloted by a skulk?

the kinetic force is absorbed by the exo's armour, but a small portion is turned into Gamma Radiation, and since skulks don't have protective armour like marines, they mutate into an onos.
    duh.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    so will the exo explode due to pressure from inside or will the onos be crushed due to not having enough room? Or will we have a tiny onos piloting the exo then?
    edited May 2017
    Mephilles wrote: »
    so will the exo explode due to pressure from inside or will the onos be crushed due to not having enough room? Or will we have a tiny onos piloting the exo then?
    latest?cb=20121228102716