New energy idea!

MuovipulloMuovipullo Join Date: 2017-03-24 Member: 229158Members
edited May 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
How about there would be nuclear batteries and power cells? They would maybe output less power than ion equivalences but more than normal one.

Why? Because you can make nuclear reactor but you don't actually need nuclear rods to anything else.

I have also some recipe ideas.

Nuclear Battery: 1 nuclear rod + 1 acid mushroom + 1 lead
Nuclear Power Cell: 2 Nuclear Batteries + 1 lubricant + 1 plasteel ingot

And power ideas:

Normal battery gives you 100 energy and ion battery 500 energy, so I think that nuclear battery should give maybe 200-250 energy
and
Normal power cell gives you 200 energy and ion power cell 1000, so I think that nuclear power cell should be something like 400-500

What you think about?

Comments

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I dunno, is there enough of a length of time between unlocking the nuclear reactor and reactor rods and when you unlock Ion Battery/Power Cell technology for these to be viable?
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited May 2017
    They could be viable at least from the availability side. Because you will be able to build far more reactor rods then you will find Ion crystals. I have never counted all available Ion crystals but I think you have enough to fit your Cyclops completely with Ion power cells which would extend it's usablility greatly especially with the new and power hungry upgrades like the shield and Sonar upgrade.
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    Interesting idea, there does need to be more diversity for things of that sort
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited May 2017
    I like the idea, but to keep this (semi) realistic, maybe the nuclear batteries could be non-rechargeable.

This would also add an interesting gameplay mechanic before unlocking the ion batteries/power cells where the player can choose to go with lower capacity rechargeable, or significantly higher capacity single use cells (this is a common tradeoff IRL as well). Uranite is already common enough that the player wouldn't have to really worry about running out of materials (although the proposed powercell recipe might be a bit costly for a disposable item with the plasteel ingot).
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Muovipullo wrote: »
    How about there would be nuclear batteries and power cells? They would maybe output less power than ion equivalences but more than normal one.

Why? Because you can make nuclear reactor but you don't actually need nuclear rods to anything else.

And power ideas:

Normal battery gives you 100 energy and ion battery 500 energy, so I think that nuclear battery should give maybe 200-250 energy
    and
    Normal power cell gives you 200 energy and ion power cell 1000, so I think that nuclear power cell should be something like 400-500

What you think about?

Nuclear batteries aren't a thing. Nuclear power is really steam power, you're just using heat from the decay of radioactive materials to boil water.

If you're going to make up stuff, I think it would be better to call it alien tech, and then anything can be used.
  • Deep_Diver_XDeep_Diver_X Unknown, Last Known Location: Milky Way, Sector B65 (Norma Arm),Coordinates: 16h 36m 08.3235s Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230468Members
    Hmm, How about And just hear me out: "A minuature sun what is Held inside a Dark matter Field (Bc space is 42% of that stuff) what is held Inside a Dark Matter Contaiment Bubble, It would be For your base and In order to get it You have to:Make dark matter, Get a Miniature Sun In Controlled Envoirement." how? Dark matter, 3 options: 1) You steal a Little Something from the Aurora. (By just harvesting it or waiting till it detonates and Spews it around the Aurora). 2) You use the Alien Gun so it makes that Weird Bubble around it and It drops like 1-2 Units dark matter. 3) You make it yourself By getting a Machine and It uses Like 1000-1200 Power per minute (For 1 unit of dark matter) (And 2-3 minutes). Now Onto the SUN to make that You would (Put inside a Machine that you need): 10 Units of dark matter (Contaiment), 3 ION crystals (In order to Give the Life to the Sun), A ION power cell (Initial boost of Power MAY be In the Machine Draining it from all 500 power), 6Magnetite (You know the Brown rock with glowing Blue stuff) (To make it a Neutron star, Magnetar Type (You see what i did there) The best Power providing star out there),a diamond (For the Ability to Cut the ion crystal's),5Kyanite (They hold Properties that Would create dark matter Shielding) and 2 Uranium (For sun's Nuclear reaction) In 10 Minutes It creates a Minuature sun Inside a Field of dark matter And Seals it Inside dark matter Contaiment field (It will give you a Higly Volitile Material: "Mini-sun") Onto the Machine You need For Dark matter (if you want that Option) you need: 10Advanced Wiring Kit's (So the machine Knows enogh what it's Doing), 8Lubricant (Moving part's), 2 Polyaniline (For it to Conduct/Funnel the Electric channels to the Dark matter Creation) and 5 Titanium (For the casing). Now for the "Sun Machine" You need: 20 Aerogel (Heat insulation- I bet creating a sun Creates SOME heat), 8 Plasteel Ingots (Because putting 3 Very volitile materials Next to highly reactive Uranium is ALWAYS a good idea and It's PERFECTLY safe...whatever could go wrong? :D ), 10 Lubricant (Because Moving part's), 5 Titanium (To reenforce the Outer Shell EVEN more) 20Advanced Wiring Kit's (Machine Needs to know Precisely and Perfectly what it's doing..1 wrong move and...Well, let's just say Sunbeam wont have to worry about Having to run errands anymore), 5 magnetite (It can make a Pressure Compensator it can also Compensate for Vacuum pressure) and 3Mercury ore (Incase things DO go wrong). The Sun machine has 80% Success rate and remaining 20% is Seperated Following:15% that it Just does not work By having Mercury Supresses the Fire of the sun before things go wrong (The BEST case scenario in case of that 20%) and The remaining 5% That it blows Up killing/Destroying Everything in 5000m radius (well Half the Biome will be dead Along with you and the base and Everything you had in 5000m area) Before the Chance is Calculated it will be 6 Minutes and In order to run it you need 10 000Power (Every minute 1000). Now to make the ACTUAL reactor You need: 1 "Mini-sun",3 enameled Glass (For you to Hardly but somehow still see the reaction inside the reactor) (I am imagining Like a small rotating sun where you can see solar flares Inside the Haze of dark matter), 4 Lithium (structual Strenght Around the Glass :p ),10 Plasteel ingots (For structual Intregity around the entire bloody reactor It can patch up the Cyclops i bet reactor aint much bigger), 2 Titanium (attachment Points For ceiling and Floor) and 6 Silicon rubber (For Sealing the Lithium). after all that It generates 10 000- 20 000Power Per minute (Be free to Pitch ideas for Improvments)
    @EvilSmoo
    Atomic batteries do exist.

They generally have relatively low power outputs over a very long time, but they do store a tremendous amount of energy for their size. I could find it believable that in the future there might be more efficient ways to harness that energy to produce a high output battery.
    edited May 2017
    @Deep_Diver_X Dude. No. Format that if you want anyone to read it. Then, proofread it a few times before hitting post.

@gamer1000k Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about those, oops. Put a few racks of those in the Cyclops, make it generate a plume of warm water. And if something bites the tail off, it just irradiates the water for a couple thousand feet in any direction.
  • Deep_Diver_XDeep_Diver_X Unknown, Last Known Location: Milky Way, Sector B65 (Norma Arm),Coordinates: 16h 36m 08.3235s Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230468Members
    @EvilSmoo Ok :P My first time posting :P Soz..i didnt know i was writing an essay XD..Sooo should I rewrite it And Format it Somehow?..oor..Did you already Ready it :P
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    b..b..but... ion batteries...
    Funsauce32 wrote: »

Ion batteries aren't available until quite late in the game. The player has access to uranite long before they unlock the ion batteries, so it could provide a nice mid-game upgrade to the standard batteries.
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    Funsauce32 wrote: »

Ion batteries aren't available until quite late in the game. The player has access to uranite long before they unlock the ion batteries, so it could provide a nice mid-game upgrade to the standard batteries.

I completely agree
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Muovipullo wrote: »

And power ideas:

and

What you think about?

Nuclear batteries aren't a thing. Nuclear power is really steam power, you're just using heat from the decay of radioactive materials to boil water.

If you're going to make up stuff, I think it would be better to call it alien tech, and then anything can be used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_battery
    There we go. Boiling water is the most common way, since it's used in power plants and ships, but it isn't the only way.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    @Deep_Diver_X Since you most likely can't edit your post yet, just remember for the next time to format your wall-o-text a bit better to improve its readability.

As for your idea of a Dark-Matter-Reactor:
    I think you vastly overdid it with the needed materials and all the extra machinery needed. Nonetheless I like the idea of a late game reactor that is better then the Nuclear reactor. That got mentioned by several users already.
    I too would like to see another tier of reactor preferentially one that you "just" have to build at high but not UBER-cost in raw materials and then it should produce power without the need for further maintenance or refueling.
    @ThePassionateGamer Ok :)
    It isn't a dark matter reactor. It's a literal Miniature sun that is Contained within dark matter.
    Also, I meshed the idea together with another idea, Crafting sometimes Failing or even having catastrophic results in failing, just to add that Extra danger to the game.
    @ThePassionateGamer Ok :)
    It isn't a dark matter reactor. It's a literal Miniature sun that is Contained within dark matter.
    Also, I meshed the idea together with another idea, Crafting sometimes Failing or even having catastrophic results in failing, just to add that Extra danger to the game.

It would be awesome to be forced to make a reactor outside of a safe zone (Like the alien thermal plant :wink: )
    I plan on making something similar down in the active lava zone with thermal/nuclear reactors (they would need to have some technology to move energy at a bit of a slower rate across VAST distances)
    @NVMGamer True, Forced to craft out of safe zones is a good idea, But just the tought that even in the safe zone, crafting can fail and every time you craft.
    You have to hope that everything goes well, there would be a chance of having it not only fail, but also cause damage to you and belongings (worst case scenario something get's destroyed, best case: You take a little damage)
    @EvilSmoo Ok :P My first time posting :P Soz..i didnt know i was writing an essay XD..Sooo should I rewrite it And Format it Somehow?..oor..Did you already Ready it :P

You know what you mean. Unfortunately, the rest of the world cannot somehow feel the idea from inside your head. If you want people to know what you're thinking, you have to tell them in a way that makes sense.

First, decide what you want to say, in general. Then, break it into paragraphs. One idea for each paragraph. Use correct grammar. Then, proofread it a couple times before posting.

If you can't be bothered to take the time to form your ideas, why should anyone else be bothered to read them? In all the posts that I've ever read, grammar has directly correlated to the intelligence of the person behind the post. People with clear postings tend to have good ideas and persuasive arguments. People who are barely above illiterate seem to be pretty stupid. Try taking your post and listening to it at http://ttsreader.com/ for example.
    @NVMGamer True, Forced to craft out of safe zones is a good idea, But just the tought that even in the safe zone, crafting can fail and every time you craft.
    You have to hope that everything goes well, there would be a chance of having it not only fail, but also cause damage to you and belongings (worst case scenario something get's destroyed, best case: You take a little damage)

So if it fails, you reload and try again? This kind of thing works in multiplayer games without save/load states, but punishing in singleplayer games generally doesn't accomplish much.