The Ghost Leviathan is now in experimental!

2»

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    kingkuma wrote: »

Here's mine:

giphy.gif

^ klik dat yo ^
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited May 2017
    "Size comparison with the player"

Where is he...? : D
    *zooms in*
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    edited May 2017
    The Reaper Leviathan can move around fine in the larger Lost River rooms, I don't see how they can't make the Ghost Leviathan do the same. Scale it down a little to between the Reaper and Sea Dragon and it should be able to maneuver with minimal problems.

Also let's not forget that the Reaper and Sea Dragon themselves still have problems navigating, mainly passing through the ground and getting stuck on/in rocks and things. They're also still working on its AI so they can program it to not try to go into areas where it wouldn't be able to move well. Another thing that could be done is reduce its overall movement speed by 25% or so, right now it moves at the same speed as the Reaper which feels too fast for a beast of its shape and habitat, this would also help with its maneuvering. The lunge it does can remain as is since that seems to be its main attacking method/animation.

I've experimented with spawning a Ghost Leviathan in the Bone Fields, the Ghost Forest, and the Junction, and aside from the ribs in the Bone Fields they had little to no trouble navigating and moving around the rooms. The one in the Ghost Forest especially was cool to watch, the way it weaved through the trees and was difficult to see when in them. Those rooms would be the best places to put a Ghost Leviathan in, not one in every one of them but one Leviathan that randomly changed locations between them whenever you left and entered the Lost River would be awesome.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Hmm. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm kinda okay with having the ghostie only guarding the void. I don't think it would necessarily be a wasted asset there, either, you just have to think long term. Every player will eventually end up a little bored and trying to scout the void. The explorers will get there sooner, the others perhaps much later in their playthrough, but imagine the shock and amazement (almost wrote shock and awe there, har har) at suddenly encountering that majestic, deadly, and previously unseen creature there. It could be that one thing they did not expect, something that renews fascination with the game after a hundred or so hours of gameplay. I don't know, perhaps I am overthinking this, but suddenly meeting a huge Ghost Leviathan on your casual stroll to the edge of the world would be totally epic for me.

Another option that just came to my mind: it's a GHOST Leviathan. Why not make it an actual ghost and remove collision for it? Let it pass through the obstacles and the environment in general, but give it some sort of an attack that could still harm the player and the player's vehicles. Just a silly thought here.
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    Nah, that's a bad idea. Going through all the trouble to get it done before the game launches just to put it where few people will go is dumb and a waste. Shrink it down a little so it's larger than the Reaper but smaller than the Sea Dragon, tweak its AI a little, adjust its speed so it's a little slower, and it will work in the Lost River fine. I'd much rather have it as an actual threat in a main biome than a forgotten footnote in a place people would only go to out of boredom.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    It looks amazing in the Grand Reef, I have to give it that. Putting it there could also deter players from swimming to the floater island and getting the Multipurpose room at the very start of the game. So in the Grand Reef it would look cool and make sense.

But it looks amazing swimming over the Mushroom Forest. So either one of those or the void and I'm a happy laddy.

It also just got turning animations. It's basically Reaper turning animations, it's pretty cool. But it's really slow.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited May 2017
    Apparently the Sea Dragon got scaled down recently, which is why the Ghost Leviathan is bigger at it's new size.
    jjsbu4q.png

Here you can see that the current Ghost Leviathan is still smaller than the old Sea Dragon.
    TgZJm7a.png
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Apparently the Sea Dragon got scaled down recently, which is why the Ghost Leviathan is bigger at it's new size.
    jjsbu4q.png

Here you can see that the current Ghost Leviathan is still shorter than the old Sea Dragon.
    TgZJm7a.png

Huh, wonder why they shrank the Sea Dragon.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    Looks like it was unintentional.
    854bdc61d7fee263c5f001e06e372df1.png
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Looks like it was unintentional.
    854bdc61d7fee263c5f001e06e372df1.png

Good. Of all the creatures to be scaled down, it definitely shouldn't be the Sea Dragon.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    For a moment I was like NO WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!