(for after 1.0) weather

JohnyTheCarrotJohnyTheCarrot Belgium Join Date: 2016-10-21 Member: 223281Members
It would be surprising if a planet like Subnautica had the same weather for ever.

What my idea would be is to add:
* Storms
* High waves
* strong currents on heavy weather
* Hot days
* cold days
* rain

The weather would also affect mobility such as how easy it is to swim or drive in a vehicle.

Comments

• KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    the weather would also allow the use of new power sources:
    wind turbine
    current turbine

amazingly green energy.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Kostriktor wrote: »
    the weather would also allow the use of new power sources:
    wind turbine
    current turbine

amazingly green energy.

...yay....? green energy?

Current turbines seem okay, but wind turbines don't really seem like a good idea.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Current turbines seem okay, but wind turbines don't really seem like a good idea.

I'd have to disagree; the wide, flat surface of the ocean is great for wind farming. But storms should be able to damage them.
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    edited April 2017
    I'd have to disagree; the wide, flat surface of the ocean is great for wind farming. But storms should be able to damage them.
    It would only be useful in the safe shallows though. Since the first power transmitter has to be placed pretty close to the power source, it doesn't allow you to place the wind turbine on the surface over a deep water base.

But yeah, weather! I'm all for that!
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Dynamic weather for post-1.0 polish would really seal the deal on creating an atmosphere. It's one of the features I sincerely hope gets put in later, even if it's purely a cosmetic change.
  • Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    Yes i think weather would be quite a nice addition to Subnautica. Would make it more realistic too. A massive ocean planet isn't always calm seas.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017

Ooh, damage from storms, I like that! Rain could reduce visibility but alter fish behavior, such as affecting appearance ratios. Lightning strikes could cause EMP power shortages or burn-out devices, needing them to be rebuilt. Hailstorms could cause gradual health damage to the player, vehicles and bases. Ion storms could cause environmental issues, such as player damage-over-time (like being submerged in brine) or draining all power cells and batteries while the storm is raging (even if they're not being used). And while it is wishful thinking, having a full-blown hurricane pelting your base and forcing a high risk of death if you venture outside into it, would be super cool to experience! o:)
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    One thing I'd like to mention is the Sunbeam mentions in there "half-way there" transmission this: "Lets just hope that the weather holds..." does this mean they plan to add it, or was it just an odd choice of dialogue?
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    @JohnyTheCarrot for weather events we totally need a Sandsharknado
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    We then need a chainsaw mod if there is gonna be a sandsharknado
  • DavidXlte01234DavidXlte01234 Indonesian Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227936Members
    underwater storm... to damage our base? and our vehicle.... awsome
  • ArbitorArbitor Australia Join Date: 2017-05-06 Member: 230303Members
    Weather systems would be a great implementation, Ive always wished for a more dynamic weather system, be it only basic it would be a great immersion effect. Rain, Stormy weather, Fog, High wind, Waves, the list can go on. i just feel a dynamic weather system would tip the immersion factor by miles.