Earth is an oceanic planet

FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
And subnautica takes place on earth

623666363f84452096a5330c586db411.png

Comments

• HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    true compared to other real life earth-like planets, most they have going on for them is numerous great lakes
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I... what? What point are you trying to make here?
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members

Is he furry-eel
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Water is wet?

How mane molecules do you need for that
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Water is wet?

How mane molecules do you need for that

How many piles of sand make a desert? Or how many trees makes a forest

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Finally someone comments on the fact that Earth is really a ocean planet.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    Finally someone comments on the fact that Earth is really a ocean planet.

soon to be a heck of a lot more.
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    If Only I Could Get Videos... Then The "What A Twist!" Video Would Be Useful.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members

If you're approaching the earth at the right angle (which is a really wide angle) you'd think you were closing in on an oceanic planet. The pacific ocean is terrifyingly massive, and the earth isn't very far away from qualifying as an oceanic planet. When you think about it, the earth is still pretty close to being a pangea, The two main landmasses (the americas and afro eurasia) are still relatively close to eachother.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members

My read is that the OP was noting that the Earth is an ocean-world by most practical outlooks if you focus on the right area. And that the planet we're on in-game being an 'ocean planet' may not necessarily preclude there being large dry land continents.

I don't know if this is part of the people who wanted to see more dry land segments in DLC or a sequel, might be unrelated. All I can say is that honestly I HOPE there's not a sequel that takes place on one of the dry continents. I kinda like Subnautica being just about the oceans. Because to me the appeal of the Mountain Island and the Floater Island aren't the life forms on the land, it's the plot kernels there (the Degassi survivor base and the Precursor gun)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    TBH it's not called the "blue marble" just for shits and giggles :D
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited June 2017
    Fluffers wrote: »
    If you're approaching the earth at the right angle (which is a really wide angle) you'd think you were closing in on an oceanic planet. The pacific ocean is terrifyingly massive, and the earth isn't very far away from qualifying as an oceanic planet. When you think about it, the earth is still pretty close to being a pangea, The two main landmasses (the americas and afro eurasia) are still relatively close to eachother.
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    My read is that the OP was noting that the Earth is an ocean-world by most practical outlooks if you focus on the right area. And that the planet we're on in-game being an 'ocean planet' may not necessarily preclude there being large dry land continents.

These comments remind me of a VSauce video that Michael made recently, focusing on fixed points. He talks about how points on charts, graphs and numbers always have a fixed point property. But the focus of the video is at this point in time here when he talks about the Borsuk-Ulum Theorem. It states that at any given time on Earth, there must be two equally opposing points on the globe (called "antipodes") that share the same temperature and atmospheric pressure. What does all that mean in regards to an oceanic planet?

Vsauce: "But at this moment in history, you'll notice that most points on land are antipodal to water. Which makes sense, the Earth's surface is mainly covered with water. But even though we know that, we don't always appreciate just how gigantic the Pacific Ocean is... It's really more of a 'water hemisphere'. The Pacific Ocean is so large, in fact, it contains its own antipodes. Meaning there are places in the Pacific ocean where you could float, and know that even if you dug a hole straight down through the center of the Earth and emerged on the other side... you would still be in the Pacific Ocean." :dizzy:

It makes swimming around in the Void just as terrifying as it would be in the deep waters of the Pacific Ocean... no land to be found, just meters and meters of aquatic nothingness... :cold_sweat:
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    edited April 2017
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is part of the people who wanted to see more dry land segments in DLC or a sequel, might be unrelated. All I can say is that honestly I HOPE there's not a sequel that takes place on one of the dry continents. I kinda like Subnautica being just about the oceans.

Nah, I wouldn't want a land based sequel at all. That'd be boring as hell. I was just checking out the new google earth and noticed that the pacific ocean covers an entire side of the planet so well that if you're looking at the right angle, you don't see any land larger than tiny islands whatsoever.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    If you were suddenly teleported to the middle of the pacific, you'd be screwed.

That thing is insane; it's huge, it's full of things that wanna eat your face...